PDA

View Full Version : Tire storage suggestions

LED
2011.08.18, 07:40 AM
Hi

I would like to know what people are using for tire storage.
I have couple of ideas I want to try out, but like most of these things I'm probably overthinking it to much.
I want something compact, easy to use, versatile,... in short the perfect system.

I currently use boxes ment for beads. Altough the dimensions are pretty good, there still is alot of waisted room. Since i recently purchased a third car I need some extra space in my equipment box.

this is was I use at the moment. I have 4 of these.
http://home.scarlet.be/blue_led/miniz/tires.jpg

Any suggestions are welcome. Boxes, other systems, home made stuf...

Thank you

arch2b
2011.08.18, 12:22 PM
kyosho (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36098&highlight=kyosho+tire) sells tubes for storing tires. they look like clear pill bottles.

cowboysir
2011.08.18, 03:23 PM
I keep my tires in the bag until usage...dont know if it makes a difference but it seems that tires change consistency exposed to air for any length of time.

I use a similar case yet wider slots to keep bagged items in place.

z3zinho
2011.08.18, 04:15 PM
I keep my tires in the bag until usage...dont know if it makes a difference but it seems that tires change consistency exposed to air for any length of time.

I use a similar case yet wider slots to keep bagged items in place.

I'm definitely with you on that one. I seems that contact with air does seem to make the rubber 'harder', thats why I also leave them on their bags until i use them.

color01
2011.08.18, 07:43 PM
Kyosho tires aren't affected very much by age -- somehow their rubber feels dry to the touch to begin with (not counting the surface mold release coating), I've kept a set of Kyosho 20 radials on me for years, only recently finally wearing them down enough to retire them.

I haven't had much experience with Atomic or 3racing tires but my couple weekends down to Cruzin (carpet track, needs silicone tires) suggest that the silicone doesn't dry out too quickly either.

PN tires historically dried out the fastest, but I find that even if you keep a pair out in the open for a while (mine are in a box like yours, LED), all you need to refresh it is some sandpaper. I use an emery board/nail file, but you get the idea. Just scrub them a bit and you'll expose the fresh rubber that hasn't had a chance to dry out yet. I kept a pair on PN 8 slicks fresh for over half a year this way, they're my "lap record" tires at Kenon every time I put them on.

doug01n
2011.08.19, 03:39 PM
We don't have this problem at galpas... our atomic 10º tires ends before gets too dry... but for storage I use the same box!