PDA

View Full Version : OK noob now with mini-z in hand.

gizmatron
2011.08.26, 01:11 PM
Hi again folks..Ok my mini-z arrived in the post..looks good and runs fine..I'll post a few pics so you pros can tell me what I have exactly..mr02 MM I know..not sure exactly what the body is..what wheel offset I should be looking to buy to fit it..front and rear..what tyres would be recommended to start running on carpet..the capacitor under the motor seems to be held on with a huge blob of ugly solder..is this normal (it hits the floor) or just crap soldering by the previous owner..motor is supposed to be an atomic stock something..says nothing on it one way or the other..how do I tell..certainly isn't all that fast..reverse seems sluggish too..once in a while it just hums and doesn't move..sure I read somewhere about this as a problem with asf boards in the mr02..enlighten me guys..oh and how do I tell what the offset is of the wheels I have ..can't see it molded or marked on them anywhere..do I have to measure it and if so how and where..

EMU
2011.08.26, 03:29 PM
The body is Ferrari Enzo, offsets on the car are 0mm narrow front, 0mm wide rear (0N/0W) wheels are Atomic dish wheels. The body can fit 1mm Narrow, 3mm Wide. Just because a body CAN fit larger offsets, doesnt mean that it is better to do so. On Enzo I personally would use a 0N/1W.

To measure offset, you measure from the inside lip of the rim to the hub. A 0mm offset wheel will have the hub line up with the inner lip of the rim.
http://shop.tinyrc.com/d_images/KYO-R246-1652-a.jpg
You can see in this image, the hub sticks out from the inner edge of the rim about 2.5mm. This would be a +2.5mm Wide wheel, or a 2.5W for short.

We race on carpet, and use Atomic tires. 7d or 10d for the rear would work best with 20d or 30d fronts. Kyosho 20d radial rear tires and 30d radial fronts should work pretty good as well. PN also produces a set of tires for carpet, although I have not used them.

A carpet tire is typically much softer than an RCP tire, the flexibility of the rubber/silicone allows the tire to grip the carpet. RCP tires are usually stiffer and are pure rubber instead of silicone, so they cannot conform as much to the lower grip surface.

gizmatron
2011.08.27, 02:57 AM
Many thanks for that EMU..I'm looking at tyres here in France and they just list them as front or rear..do I take it that front are narrow and rear are wide? Are these standard sizes or are there a variety of widths? Oh and that horrible solder blob..I take it that should be tidier? How do I tell which tyres are specifically for carpet and which for RCP types surfaces..is there a list somewhere as only a few I found online specify one or the other.I'm not looking to get a silly fast motor but would like to upgrade the 3010 fets to at least something better if not actually stacked..what are the best/recommended.

gary

EMU
2011.08.27, 12:14 PM
The rear tires are wide, front are narrow. There are semi-wide widths, but not very popular. Narrow are 8.5mm, wide 10.5-11mm...

As far as upgrading the fets, I like the 8858 fet since it feels similar to the 3010 in feel, but has more power.

It looks like the capacitor is hitting the track not the solder... Definitely do a little work on it...

gizmatron
2011.08.27, 03:22 PM
thanks again EMU.ordered 4 8858's....my board already has 7389's whatever those are but the soldering under the hood is as ugly as that capacitor on the back..de-soldered it and the leg wasn't even attached to the cap anyway.luckily from my micro heli's I have a bag of 104 uf caps so did a neat replacement job..I've ordered a bunch of stuff from reflex inc an atomic stock R evolution motor so when that arrives I'll sort out the wiring and soldering in general..preferably before something shorts out..this winter is going to be fun.just have to re-roof part of our 1/8 stands so the mini-z track can stay up all winter..yay! my wife will think I've left her..

Oh one last question..if you look at the photo above ..3rd one labeled 5066 can you tell what ball diff it is..I've dismantled it and it has pressure plates with a D shaped hole and ceramic balls.pinion is 42T but the only way to adjust the tension seems to be via the wheel nut..is this normal? Other diffs I've looked at online seem to have an adjustable collar with a grub screw to adjust tension. I wanted to get maybe a set of pinions and a main gear for rebuilds but then I got all confused by 64 pitch etc..lots of spurs etc say "only fits XXX make of diff" want to be sure before I buy something that doesn't fit and I don't want to shell out for a new diff at this point as this one seems to work fine.

EMU
2011.08.27, 05:41 PM
I would get a diff that you can adjust with a tension nut, it makes it much easier to adjust on the fly. Most diffs you can make compatable with 64p spurs with slight modification if it isnt already compatable. The spur and pinion on the diff already are completely chewed up, and definitely need replacing.

Judging by the color on the differential, it may be a TRP diff http://www.technicalrp.fr/catalog/differentiel-boule-ceramique-ajustable-p-36134.html

gizmatron
2011.08.28, 10:51 AM
Ok thanks again for the help..for now I'm going to use the diff but I've ordered what I hope will fit.. a set of the pn racing rebuild 64dp pinions and spurs..weren't expensive and yes sure looks like the TRP diff I have..Once I have the 4x1 8858's in place and the better motor my next buy will be the pn ceramic lightweight diff set..not a great outlay but for next month :D

Is there a chart online anywhere comparing tire types and what surface they are good for at all?

cowboysir
2011.08.28, 11:33 AM
There's no chart for tires as such so your best bet is to find out what your fellow racers use at the track you'll frequent. Tire compounds tend to like running on tracks that have rubber from similar tires worn into it.

gizmatron
2011.08.30, 07:27 AM
Ok final question for now..With the car I got a box of springs..varying colors..I've divided them into 2..the upper ones in the photo are a little larger diameter(around 4.9mm) and have closer wound coils.The lower are more like 4.6mm diameter and fewer coils..Are all these for the front suspension or are some for tuning the damper plate at the rear.which are which and can anyone tell me the order to put them in for stiffness..oh and the set currently on the car are light blue and of the upper, closer wound group.

cowboysir
2011.08.30, 09:08 AM
They all appear to be front suspension spring with the shorter ones giving some front ride height variations.

gizmatron
2011.08.30, 09:44 AM
That's what i thought..any idea on the relative stiffness re color ? and if I fit a shorter spring should i be getting myself some shims to fit either under the knuckle to lower the ride height or on top of the spring collar to increase preload..either way I'm guessing there should be no gap on the kingpin allowing the spring etc to jump around..

cowboysir
2011.08.30, 10:12 AM
You can use shims to adjust preload on top of the spring or use shims below the knuckle to keep the lower ride height and keep tension on the spring.

i've fooled around with allowing a spring gap on the kingpin. Kind of like setting "sag' on trucks but I didnt notice any real amount of extra grip on bumpy tracks or hard cornering (where outside front wheel lift migh occur)

As for spring tension, you might get some more info from other members. I usually go by feel and swap for different tracks and what gives me good turn-in bite without being too stiffly sprung. Which spring runs best for you will be up to experimentation.

gizmatron
2011.08.31, 03:27 PM
OK thanks for that info..getting to grips with this slowly..Ok wheel question..how tight am I supposed to tighten the wheel nuts..if I tighten too far the bearings bind ..so I back them off till the wheels spin freely and then they fall off..I take it I should have nylock style wheel nuts (on order)and tighten them just enough NOT to make the bearings freeze?

Tires..bought a few sets of wheels and tires in varying offsets and compounds etc to play with.Fitting the tires..until I get a pn tire fitter which is just so anally trick I have to get one..what is the best way to get the tires fitted and balanced..wasn't a problem without tape to slide them on and adjust but is there a best way of doing it with tape in place..I would prefer not to use glue so the tires can be changed easier..

Oh and I watched the vid with the pn machine.awesome but can you use it to do do the same with tape and not glue?

EMU
2011.08.31, 03:48 PM
OK thanks for that info..getting to grips with this slowly..Ok wheel question..how tight am I supposed to tighten the wheel nuts..if I tighten too far the bearings bind ..so I back them off till the wheels spin freely and then they fall off..I take it I should have nylock style wheel nuts (on order)and tighten them just enough NOT to make the bearings freeze?

Tires..bought a few sets of wheels and tires in varying offsets and compounds etc to play with.Fitting the tires..until I get a pn tire fitter which is just so anally trick I have to get one..what is the best way to get the tires fitted and balanced..wasn't a problem without tape to slide them on and adjust but is there a best way of doing it with tape in place..I would prefer not to use glue so the tires can be changed easier..

Oh and I watched the vid with the pn machine.awesome but can you use it to do do the same with tape and not glue?
You pretty much answered the first question spot on ;)

It takes a little time to balance the tires on the wheels with tape. Using the R246 tape, you can play with the tire a bit before you lose the stickyness, so you can pretty much install it the same way you would without tape. I like to turn the tire inside out, then roll it onto the wheel. . . Practice a few times on a wheel without tape, then try with tape.

You can use the PN machine with glue or tape, or no tape for that matter :p