PDA

View Full Version : Xmod or Mini Z for learning?

puckett26
2011.09.15, 04:46 PM
Hi all. Im interested in getting a mini z and trying to race at a local shop but Id like to do some practicing at home. i dont want to bust it up because they arent cheap. I used to driving 1/10 slashs and buggies outside. Do you think it would be more beneficial to start out with a xmod to get used to handling a car of this scale and learning. Or is it better to just get the mini z.

Thanks

cowboysir
2011.09.15, 07:10 PM
Being from an xmod background I'd say the only way to get good at driving a mini-z is to use a mini-z. I liked my xmods for tinkering/modding but nothing compares in the handling department...

bermbuster
2011.09.15, 08:52 PM
Hi all. Im interested in getting a mini z and trying to race at a local shop but Id like to do some practicing at home. i dont want to bust it up because they arent cheap. I used to driving 1/10 slashs and buggies outside. Do you think it would be more beneficial to start out with a xmod to get used to handling a car of this scale and learning. Or is it better to just get the mini z.

Thanks

Is your local shop am friendly? If so you can get into a z fairly cheap. The great thing about getting a z most of the hop ups you buy will transfer to other chassis. You can get an am 015 for $75. am 02 for about $115.
motor pods, motors, disc dampers, top shocks, side shocks, ball diffs are interchangable...even with the new 03.....

color01
2011.09.15, 10:26 PM
Practice makes better, but only great practice makes perfect. :) Go with a used but (relatively) untouched Mini-Z for practice, you can upgrade and replace parts as you learn more and get more comfortable with it.

My personal vote goes to the MR02 as it's built like a tank -- the only breakable parts of the chassis are the two upper tower arms, and you can replace that with an aluminum one for $14 and it will never break again. :eek:

thestug
2011.09.16, 01:20 AM

Thanks

Definitely go for the Z. You won't be disappointed. The mini-z's are indestructible and parts are readily available if something does break. It's hard to even compare an x-mod to a mini-z IMHO.

LED
2011.09.16, 02:14 AM
Never had an X-mod but it does sound strange to buy something to get used to the other.
There are small things you can do to insure minimal damage while practicing. Like using a wide body with small offset rims. This way the wheels stay almost completly inside the body and it doesnt hurt them when you hit a wall. Also replace the body clip with ane alu ot carbon one.

Good luck

Bodom
2011.09.16, 07:06 AM
Don't loose your time with XMods. They have nothing in common in handling and control compared to a Mini-Z.

puckett26
2011.09.17, 11:38 AM
Thanks Ill be looking for a used Z then. Hvant had any luck non ebay yet but Ill keep looking.

thestug
2011.09.17, 02:31 PM
Thanks Ill be looking for a used Z then. Hvant had any luck non ebay yet but Ill keep looking.

There is actually used mini-zs on the forum here:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97

I have bought a few things here. The prices are usually very reasonable.
There is actually a 2.4ghz mr-02 for sale right now for $95. which is a great deal. I would buy it if i had the money.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37007

Hope this helps.