PDA

View Full Version : RCP Special Edition Tracks and Spare Parts Kits

RCPMini-z
2011.09.17, 12:16 PM
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9097/orangeq.jpg

The new RCP container should be arriving in November. Just in time for Christmas. The new container will replace the "Out of Stock" items such as the 30020 blank kit, 15052 Large Radius Oval Kit and the 50050 blank kit.

Also in the container is the New RCP Special Edition tracks. They will come in new colors and will be incorporated into the Wide L, Large Radius Inside Turn Kit and expansion kits with blanks. With the dark grey tiles, the black bodies are much easier to see. Also the corners will be much more visible with the bright orange turn rails. Black side straight rails finish off the track for an all new look.

Spare parts kits are also in the container. Below are the new part numbers and descriptions of the new kits.

SETR-1744SP-01
Description - L shaped race track containing (40) 50cm tile pieces. 6 outside turns + 6 inside turns + 28 straights. Special edition colors. Dark grey tiles, orange turn rails and black straight rails.

SETR-5243SP-01
Description - Expansion kit containing (60) 50cm tile pieces. 24 straight tiles + 36 blank tiles.. Special edition colors. Dark grey tiles and black straight rails.

SETR-5000SP-01
Description - Expansion kit containing (4) complete large radius inside turn sections. Special edition colors. Dark grey tiles and orange turn rails.

SETR-C55010-01
Description - Spare PIN kit containing 40 pcs of two piece track PINS.

SETR-C55020-01 - Spare straight rail kit for 50cm tracks. Quantity 20 rails per box. Color grey.

SETR-C55030-01 - Spare turn rail kit for 50cm tracks. Quantity 6 inside rails + 6 outside rails per box. Color red.

SETR-C55040-01 - Spare straight tile kit for 50cm tracks. Quantity 10 tiles per box. Color Black.

SETR-C55050-01 - Spare turn tile kit for 50cm tracks. Quantity 5 inside turn tiles + 5 outside turn tiles per box. Color Black.

SETR-C33020-01 - Spare straight rail kit for 30cm tracks. Quantity 20 rails per box. Color grey.

SETR-C33030-01 - Spare turn rail kit for 30cm tracks. Quantity 6 outside turn rails + 6 inside turn rails per box. Color red.

SETR-C33040-01 - Spare straight tile kit for 30cm tracks. Quantity 10 tiles per box. Color black.

SETR-C33050-01 - Spare turn tile kit for 30cm tracks. Quantity 5 inside turn tiles + 5 outside turn tiles per box. Color black.

herman
2011.09.19, 04:13 AM
any pics of the new tiles? :D

RCPMini-z
2011.09.19, 12:56 PM
I will see what I can get from the factory, before they load on the container.

arch2b
2011.09.19, 01:45 PM
awsome news! i for one can't wait to get cars on the new tiles:p

J-Milz
2011.09.19, 02:36 PM
So are we talkin brown tiles with whoops and jumps for the buggy?? :D

RCPMini-z
2011.09.19, 11:48 PM
So are we talkin brown tiles with whoops and jumps for the buggy?? :D

RCP Tracks already makes brown tiles with whoops and jumps. It is sold exclusively through Horizon Hobby and Losi. :)

Cherub1m
2011.09.20, 01:26 PM
SETR-C33020-01 - Spare straight rail kit for 30cm tracks. Quantity 20 rails per box. Color grey.

SETR-C33030-01 - Spare turn rail kit for 30cm tracks. Quantity 6 outside turn rails + 6 inside turn rails per box. Color red.

SETR-C33040-01 - Spare straight tile kit for 30cm tracks. Quantity 10 tiles per box. Color black.

SETR-C33050-01 - Spare turn tile kit for 30cm tracks. Quantity 5 inside turn tiles + 5 outside turn tiles per box. Color black.

That's great if I ever need spare parts for the Mini 96 i know where to look.

Just wondering was there any more discussion regarding RCP doing a carpet version of their modular RCP track?

RCPMini-z
2011.09.22, 10:02 PM
That's great if I ever need spare parts for the Mini 96 i know where to look.

Just wondering was there any more discussion regarding RCP doing a carpet version of their modular RCP track?

Yes, we asked for feedback and most wanted to keep the RCP surface, just as it is.

The idea of a special edition track with new colors, is a way of mixing it up a little and offering something unique. I think you will really like the new colors.

RCPMini-z
2011.10.03, 11:50 AM
Here is a quick look at the new colors. I think you will be able to see the black and dark cars a lot better. Tiles are dark grey, turn rails are orange, straight rails are black.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9097/orangeq.jpg

yasuji
2011.10.03, 12:26 PM
cant wait to get this over @ kenon!:D

themelis factor
2011.10.03, 01:15 PM
Looks great you will definately be able to see the cars better:D

Ancient Artist
2011.10.03, 01:41 PM
looks sweet...great job!

arch2b
2011.10.03, 02:25 PM
looks great! can't wait to get some cars on it. :cool:

oXYnary
2011.12.19, 09:56 PM
Looking for a track to run your new Kyosho Buggy on? Well something special is in the mix and may be available before Christmas.;)

Hmm. Sooner than later? I want to buy a track now for my local club. I see you do the Losi branded version. Is this going to be a recolored version of that?*

*Fwiw I was going to get the rails/jumps version as I like the idea of running on multiple surfaces, while the ramps back unto the rcp jump sections add more level variety. Plus, it takes less room than the full tile kit.

arch2b
2011.12.19, 10:44 PM
any updates on these?

arch2b
2011.12.29, 11:31 AM
i was hoping to have bought some of these for the begining of HFAY s13. have these shipped yet?

RCPMini-z
2011.12.29, 07:48 PM
i was hoping to have bought some of these for the begining of HFAY s13. have these shipped yet?

Yes, the grey/black/Orange tracks are "In Stock". Also available are the spare parts kits. All in stock and shipping.

arch2b
2011.12.29, 08:18 PM
thanks, waiting for them to show up in shop listings i guess. assuming the would be listed as special edition.

oXYnary
2011.12.30, 03:51 AM
RCP edited the original message today to get rid of the buggy track reference. So I assume whatever they were working on has been canceled.

arch2b
2012.02.11, 10:52 PM
i've ordered and received my special edition tracks!

here are a couple pictures highlighting the color difference from the normal rcp track tiles.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1414/medium/14.JPG

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1414/medium/22.JPG

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1414/medium/32.JPG

NoBrainer
2012.02.12, 07:13 AM
Ah, that was cool.
Much easier to see a dark car on the grey tracks.

bevo
2012.02.16, 07:33 PM
A friend got his in the other day. I think he ordered 3 wide L's and 2 wide inside turns so far. 3 L's weren't as much track as he thought and so he's ordering 1 more. He didn't realize how much of the old track he had. If anyones in central or southern ohio and wants to come run just let me know.
Just like in the compare pictures the guy did above it is much lighter then even those pictures show. You don't realize it until you put them side by side. Dark cars show up better on this track. It's really weird though bringing your car off and it's covered in grey dust instead of black.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z85/outdoorgirl19/newrcp.jpg

TheRinger
2012.03.10, 03:12 PM
Is anyone having traction issues with the special edition track? We just started racing on it for the first time today trying to do an HFAY race and the cars are slipping and sliding everywhere. Other then that, it's harder to notice the bump out rails.

NoBrainer
2012.03.10, 03:16 PM
You still have to drive "some" rounds on it before you get grip.
And if the rest of our track is used a lot, there will be a big difference.

Give it a couple of evenings and then see what happens.

Of course, I asume you have cleaned it before you used it.

TheRinger
2012.03.11, 10:17 AM
I have to disagree nobrainer, I've owned 6 wide L's 4 brand new out the box and they have a TON of traction to the point that my car would roll over in turns. This track had absolutely no traction at all. It's a struggle to keep your car going in a straight line much less getting through a turn. Is there anyway to bring the traction up?

byebye
2012.03.11, 10:33 AM
Interesting...

Kris

NoBrainer
2012.03.11, 01:10 PM
I have to disagree nobrainer, I've owned 6 wide L's 4 brand new out the box and they have a TON of traction to the point that my car would roll over in turns.

I only got the 30cm track and expansion. Tested on 2 different 30cm tracks and it have behaved the same. So it was only my experience.
But since the Wide L's are different when it comes to traction, I can't give you any help.
Sorry

arch2b
2012.03.11, 01:58 PM
The material texture is identical. I have to wonder if there may be a manufacturing residue still on the tile?

TheRinger
2012.03.11, 02:35 PM
Possibly it could be but how do you get it out of the track?

bevo
2012.03.11, 07:23 PM
I have to disagree nobrainer, I've owned 6 wide L's 4 brand new out the box and they have a TON of traction to the point that my car would roll over in turns. This track had absolutely no traction at all. It's a struggle to keep your car going in a straight line much less getting through a turn. Is there anyway to bring the traction up?

We ran into the same problem. I bought 2 wide L's a year ago and they had all kinds of traction right out of the box. All I had to do was vacuum it and it was good to go. This grey track doesn't have near the traction of the black track. We've ran 3 race days on it, and it is starting to get better, but it is no where near what the black tracks traction is, new or old.

It did seem to be a little better thought he last time we ran, you just had to be easy on the trigger, and that's using 70t motors. Something is different with the grey track compared to the old stuff. They may say it's the same material, but something is different. The traction is no where near what the black is out of the box.

Felix2010
2012.03.11, 08:19 PM
Guys — I feel for you having traction issues on new SP.ED. RCP…:( That’s not what I would have expected from RCP? If the material looks the same just a different color, maybe it is just chemical residue or dryness all the way thru? I have found vacuuming with a good vacuum (>Powerful, not the have-dead vacuum in the garage) the RCP-material gets a little re-newed or something because I love running after just vacuuming the RCP (vacuum part blows though..:(:mad:)

If you have a spray bottle with water and mist water (just a little) over the entire track - Not wet, just to get moisture in the air. Let sit 10minutes; Vacuum. If these 2 things don’t work, I would get in touch with RCP. :(

arch2b
2012.03.11, 08:49 PM
Trust me. If it doesn't get better ill be emailing, calling or whatever needs to be done. I too was simply expecting the same quality in a new color.

arch2b
2012.03.14, 09:15 PM
confirmation provided from the factory, " The factory responded and said the material and grooming process on the specidal edition tracks are identical to the black tile tracks. The only difference on their end was the color of the tiles and rails." wanted to pass this along to you guys.

that being said, this doesn't mean there isn't some tangible difference in how they perform right out of the box. it could be packing, shipping contamination or manufacturing residue that normally gets shaken or wiped off that wasn't. i'm sure the environmental conditions at the time of manufacturer also play into the performance.

oXYnary
2012.03.15, 03:06 AM
Maybe its the dye color itself.

herman
2012.03.15, 04:57 AM
hmm... i saw a video of a race on atomic tracks that use gray as their primary track color...
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/11839_175310025853_141121695853_2853452_2912633_n. jpg
check out this video -Atomic Mini Z Championship 2009 A Final ~ Round 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZZqil0PUtE) and here's the related thread - click me (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30697)

if i remember it right, participants had traction issues as well... try asking the guys who went and participated... stephen bui, sai tam, mike ma to see if characteristics of the atomic track and rcp special edition are identical...

i haven't had the chance to try out the atomic track so i can't really say anything about it...

probably wash it off with soap and water to take out any residue?

arch2b
2012.03.15, 02:39 PM
i think washing it down is something we are going to try. just need to coordinate my schedule to pick, wash and return the track.

in the long run, i think it will need to be broken in over time, more so than black tiles. this was all very much unexpected however. :( there is no going back at this point though so i need to try my best to work with it. i doubt i'm going to get it replaced and can't afford to order another 3WL and wide turn kit.

EMU
2012.03.15, 05:03 PM
At least it wont traction roll :) I prefer low grip to high grip... traction should come up, but possibly not as much as the black track. What tires have you tried on this new surface?

blt456
2012.03.15, 06:30 PM
If you guys are having problems with traction, try these tire combos:
- Kyosho 20* slick rear w/ PN 15* slick front
- Kyosho 20* slick rear w/ PN 15* x pattern front

If you still need traction, try loosening the diffs a bit, and/or running 19mm wheels. I know that these tires work good on tracks with medium to low grip, so I hope this helps. All of these tires are very soft and tend to flex a bit.

LeProf
2012.03.15, 07:29 PM
Well, there is traction problem and then there is serious traction problem... We all run Kyosho 20... But there was no way to get any grip... I am not particularly fast but was able to regularly lap the track in the 4.40s and 4.30s with a best of 4.23... But that's on my home track. My best time at Hobby Works was a 5.3 something, drifting my way around with my throttle EPA down to 50.

LeProf
2012.03.15, 07:38 PM
I also tried the PN6 radial, i put them on my son's car. There were pros and cons; the pros: i got no wear on the tires, the cons: i got about the same level of grip as with the kyosho...

TheRinger
2012.03.15, 09:03 PM
Same here. I run kyosho 20 slicks on the rear and 30 slicks on the front Trued. There was just no getting any grip, period. I went from doing a fast lap of 4 seconds to 5 seconds and running 102 to 108 laps to 88 to 84 laps. I changed diffs to different cars and nothing really worked. There was grey dust all over the tires. The only thing I can think of is trying 40 radials in the front and 10 radials in the back. The tires didn't even remotely have any wear by the end of the day. But I never change anything on my cars other then grease on the damper and kingpins if needed from track to track. I set the end points on the radio when I get the chassis and leave it alone. I find it pointless to fight the car by constantly changing radio and car settings. Once i got the car set up like i want it, it seems to run good anywhere. It's all up to me knowing how to drive and I definetly have my days:o. But I don't think their is anyway to run a solid set up on this track in its current condition unless I go back to racing the AWD again. Which I did take it around the track Saturday and did well. But it's costly to do.:D

Cherub1m
2012.03.15, 09:39 PM
hmm... i saw a video of a race on atomic tracks that use gray as their primary track color...
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/11839_175310025853_141121695853_2853452_2912633_n. jpg
check out this video -Atomic Mini Z Championship 2009 A Final ~ Round 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZZqil0PUtE) and here's the related thread - click me (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30697)

if i remember it right, participants had traction issues as well... try asking the guys who went and participated... stephen bui, sai tam, mike ma to see if characteristics of the atomic track and rcp special edition are identical...

i haven't had the chance to try out the atomic track so i can't really say anything about it...

probably wash it off with soap and water to take out any residue?

The Atomic Track is a carpet track not RCP. I haven't raced on RCP in a while since going carpet (just love the carpet). But in short, I don't see why the grey RCP should give different traction, give it some time for the grey dust/powder to come off. I've ran on some black (traditional) RCP that had the same issue (very dusty), you just have to run on it a few times, traction will come up and traction roll will follow once again :D

arch2b
2012.03.25, 12:04 AM
you may see other opinions posted but we washed the track thoroughly in the rain today. we used a VERY small amount of a green all natural cleaning product just in case the issue was a residue other than the fine almost talcum like track dust produced by the special edition track.

some interesting findings.

the track dust produced is best described as talcum powder like. it is much more fine and much more dry than the normal new tile dust. it essentially makes any rubber tire no little better than drift tires.

when unpacking the new special edition track, it contained a far greater amount of dust or texturing residue than what i've seen in at least 9 of the new track sets i've purchased over the years. it had a sheen to it as well.

as the track dried out, the traction level dropped. right after washing we mopped dry and vacuumed the track and started running laps. no standing water and no water buildup in the car either. let it drip dry then mop dry enough and you can race safely, which we did for hours. it was clear that as the track dried out, portions of the track got more slippery. granted by this time our tires were also saturated but under steer was predictable as a result vs. unpredictable track conditions. you can best describe it as driving in the winter and hitting black ice. you can't see it precisely but portions were quantifiably more slick. as an example, you can block the car and pull the throttle and under normal conditions your diff would slip as the rear tires may spin at first but there is enough friction with the tile to prevent burnouts. on this track, you could find spots as the track dried that offered very little resistance allowing you to block the car and both back tires would burn out as if you had drift tires on. move the car to another spot and traction similar to normal, move down some more and your on ice again.

it may be coincidence or not but the lighter the tile color the slippery it tended to be. there is no measurements to back that claim other than our personal experience.

in general, the track, wet, after cleaning had improved traction. not nearly what you would expect from a new standard track but better than before the cleaning. rene still has the track and will be running more laps on it as it fully dries out to see what becomes of our experiment. initial testing shows some improvement but also showed that any improvement may drop off as the tiles fully dry out.

i did see tire wear after the hour or two of laps so it is improved to some degree.

interestingly enough, i like driving on a wet rcp track. i've demonstrated it to be safe and oddly enough fun. fun for me anyway as it felt like a much more natural pavement experience. it would make for an awsome addition to a long endurance race to have a 'rain' section where the track is moistened and dries over time.

further results to come....

arch2b
2012.04.03, 08:11 AM
we race again this weekend! post track wash results are promising as traction has improved. it requires defining a new standard tire combination though, which is not totally unexpected from a new track. i anticipated that to some extent. i'm hoping that as the track breaks in, kyosho 20/30 become the norm again as they are simple to source and make it very easy for everyone vs. the golden corral like buffet of PN, Atomic, RR tire options.

the important thing to take away from this is (based on our experience);
1. special edition tracks MUST be washed thoroughly prior to use
2. special edition track dust is present in greater quantity right out of the box
3. special edition track dust is very fine and feels/behaves similar to talcum powder

we will also be altering the bump out tile color to make it stand out more. user experience is, it is more difficult to see on the grey tile. swapping out with standard bump rails is the simple solution until the rail coloring can be done.

briankstan
2012.04.17, 12:09 PM
thanks for posting the information on this.

arch2b
2012.04.17, 01:19 PM
this weekends results were a mixed bag. kyosho 20 rear worked fine for a small few and were like pvc for others. kyosho 10 rear seemed to work ok for a few aas did pn 6 rear but there is no consistent selection like we had before. track dust is also a bit more textured than before but still get fine powder like build up which reduces traction.

LeProf
2012.04.17, 01:45 PM
I personally feel that the track is much improved from the first time out; it's now driveable, but it is also noticeably slower than a black RCP. On two wide Ls, I would say it costs you at least 0.3 s on average per lap, if not more. It is a huge impact on any HFAY-like type of competition -- roughly, it means that if you could do 100 laps on black RCP, you'd be down to about 94 or less on the special edition track. It's also much more sensitive to tire selection. I ran PN20 slick front and new Atomic 8 RCP radial rear. The car drove OK but not fast; on my home track (same car, set-up, tires, except ran wore-down Atomic 8), I ran a few 8 minutes races and never had a clear run (kept hitting walls) but still counted 28 laps in the 4.5s, 4.4s, 4.3s in a single 8 minutes. During the entire day Saturday at Hobby Works, I got a single lap under 4.6...

arch2b
2012.04.17, 01:57 PM
also reminds me; we also noticed the variation in tile coloration. naturally there is some variation in color of materials however the tiles that were of the lightest color corresponded with the tiles that happened to provide the least traction.

despite the tiles being of the same chemical composition as the standard black tiles, there very well may be an issue with the coloring chemicals, or lack there of that is changing the performance of the tiles.

i would not recommend the special edition track to anyone already used to standard black rcp at this time based on our experience. while i really like the color, i do not like it's lack of consistent performance in comparison to the original.

continued testing will take place however. i've arranged for another local club to take it and race on it to get their feedback. they also race very frequently thus break-in process will occur at an exponentially faster rate than we could achieve racing once a month. i will provide updates as they are given. the move should occur in the coming weeks.

TheRinger
2012.04.18, 12:50 PM
I agree the traction of the track is better then the first time we raced on it. I think the remnant crew will break the track in and it will improve.