PDA

View Full Version : Uneven steering range

Marist
2011.09.19, 01:40 PM
Hello everybody.
I've just got a MA-010 from one guy and realised that it turns more to the left than to the right. I searched some forums for possible solution and found some hints, nothing helped so far. List of things I've done to fix it:

Replaced servo with Atomic one
Rreplaced steering pot with the Atomic one
Checked if anything is blocking the steering arm
Cleaned steering gears

Still no help though... any ideas?

Slubben
2011.09.19, 03:08 PM
What type of radio are you using?

thestug
2011.09.19, 03:39 PM
What type of radio are you using?

With a decent radio you should be able to set individual L/R steering endpoints.

Marist
2011.09.19, 04:55 PM
Sorry forgot to tell... Its 27MHz and I'm using Kyosho's Prefex KT-2

thestug
2011.09.19, 06:03 PM
Sorry forgot to tell... Its 27MHz and I'm using Kyosho's Prefex KT-2

Maybe try to turn the dual rate(if you have it) down and check the L/R balance. If it it dosen't fix it the problem is probably in the electronics and you may need a new transmitter that you can set steering L and R individually.

mitchy2759
2011.09.20, 12:15 AM
are you using a balldiff at the front?
if you do try to cek the tightness. because i had a problem with this once, it fully turn to the right but only small amount to the left. it turns out the balldiff is too loose.

Marist
2011.09.20, 02:08 AM
are you using a balldiff at the front?
if you do try to cek the tightness. because i had a problem with this once, it fully turn to the right but only small amount to the left. it turns out the balldiff is too loose.

I don't use balldif. After yesterday's examination I found out that the servo makes the noise like trying to go further when I steer fully to the right and when I push rear side of the right wheel it goes a little bit. That made me think it's blocked somewhere, but have no idea where. I've flatterned plastic on the steering gearbox cover (where the steering arm moves) but it didn't help.

To the tx: I'd love to buy a new one but if I do so I'd rather go for the 2.4GHz conversion set which is something I can't afford at the moment.

Bodom
2011.09.20, 02:43 AM
After yesterday's examination I found out that the servo makes the noise like trying to go further when I steer fully to the right and when I push rear side of the right wheel it goes a little bit.

This happens to me too. It is caused by a wobble between the tie rod and the servo saver arm.
By the way my car has the same steering unevenness but I've used to it. I've trimmed the steering so it is even.

Marist
2011.09.20, 07:08 AM
This happens to me too. It is caused by a wobble between the tie rod and the servo saver arm.
By the way my car has the same steering unevenness but I've used to it. I've trimmed the steering so it is even.

Trimmed it? You don't use stock TX do you? Is there anything I could do about the wobble?

El Tigre
2011.09.20, 07:15 AM
I had the same problem in the past and I
discovered that the steering potentiometer on the transmitter
was bad and gave me uneven steering throw left to right.

Bodom
2011.09.20, 08:21 AM
Trimmed it? You don't use stock TX do you? Is there anything I could do about the wobble?

My car was AM. Recently I converted it to ASF. It had the problem before - it has it now as well. I used KT-5 before.
Now I use KT-18 and it has separate left and right steering endpoints.
For the AM board you could do the following:
Center the steering and extend the steering range potentiometer as much as you can without maxing the steering range of the servo in either side.
There is a trimmer on the bottom of the board, which adjusts the servo neutral position too, but it's rough.

For the wobble - I think that some aluminum tie rod could solve the problem, but I haven't tried. I use the plastic tie rods from Kyosho.

Eman
2011.09.20, 08:48 AM
Set the trim on the transmitter to neutral and carefully adjust the pot on the bottom of the board until the wheels are straight. Use a plastic flat tip screwdriver to adjust the trim on the board. Your turning radius should be similar left and right. You might have a problem with a steering FET? Make sure the wires are not frayed. Good luck.