PDA

View Full Version : humble newb checking in

rock hard
2011.09.26, 12:14 AM
Hello all,I've been into rc now for about 10 yrs.Been into rc crawling now for the last 3 yrs,but started out in buggy class.

I'm picking up a few xmods for me and the family to play around with.I'm gonne be building a large track so we can enjoy at home anytime,and offcourse my sons friends will likely see track time also.

But,while I feel xmods are sufficient for us as a family to get started,ans since I need 4-5 cars,xmods are deffintly much cheaper to enter with.

I will be learing all I can,reading threads,deciding what mini-z will be best for me and my family as we begine to desire more performence from our cars.Ofcourse all advice given is greatly apreaciated.

Thanks,
Paul

herman
2011.09.26, 03:16 AM
welcome to the forums paul...

i haven't had the chance to run any xmods... but from what i've read... the mini-z's are waay better...

kyosho's latest offerings are 2.4ghz, if price is a factor, you might want to consider getting second hand 27mhz am cars... they will be a lot cheaper...

if price isn't really a factor i'd say go for a mr03... or if you are a bit budget conscious, try the mr02 ex, which already includes a controller...

hope this helps... :D

color01
2011.09.26, 05:21 AM
MR02EX is a great way to start Mini-Z, they don't need a whole lot of work until you decide you want to race in the higher classes and they're pretty bulletproof for everyday running. This would be my recommendation over the Xmods.

Xmods are cheaper to start with, yes, but if you have OCD they get on your nerves quickly with the slower response, less precise tolerances, binding, etc. etc. and over time, if you upgrade them, the price-benefit ratio actually sides in favor of the Mini-Z in my opinion. I still have one Xmod that I use as a demo car, but otherwise my garage is all MR03's. ;) The Mini-Z's are better for any kind of track racing, while the Xmods are more suited to outdoor speed runs and rough running.

arch2b
2011.09.26, 02:17 PM
an AM mini-z is still of much higher quality than a similar xmod simply due to refined control. it's not very convincing in reading posts but something that is immediately noticeable first hand. i picked up 4 AM MR-02 mini-z for less than $400 for our family racing at home. i keep them all stock except for tires to keep the costs down as well. hop ups for mini-z are just as much an addiction as they are for an xmod in my opinion so your best setting strict guidelines or else you can easily spend $200 per car (either kind i'm sure) in hop ups.

rock hard
2011.09.26, 04:24 PM
thanks for the resopnses guys.

I little more destail

I'm 40 and will be udoubtable wanting more,and already amping up for a min-z purchase.

However,my wife will not be so serious,and my son of 11 yrs and his friends will probably be demolitioning the cars when my back is turned
( I know I would as a kid)

So right now,I have traded one of my custom handwound 280 rock crawling motors for a pair of basically new(and stock) xmods.

And working on a trade of my axial trans with dna dig for 3 more.

so I'm gonna be getting a car in everyones hands for an out of pocket of
around 20 bucks.

This will get us started,I have NO intention of putting $100+ cars in the hands of the local kids.

So thats the main reason for xmods for now
I myself am leaning towards a awd,and will be wanting to convert to spektrum
tx/rx,I will attemt this mod 1st on one of the xmods.

Thinking a losi micro crawler,or micro t for rx

thestug
2011.09.26, 07:16 PM
thanks for the resopnses guys.

I little more destail

I'm 40 and will be udoubtable wanting more,and already amping up for a min-z purchase.

However,my wife will not be so serious,and my son of 11 yrs and his friends will probably be demolitioning the cars when my back is turned
( I know I would as a kid)

So right now,I have traded one of my custom handwound 280 rock crawling motors for a pair of basically new(and stock) xmods.

And working on a trade of my axial trans with dna dig for 3 more.

so I'm gonna be getting a car in everyones hands for an out of pocket of
around 20 bucks.

This will get us started,I have NO intention of putting $100+ cars in the hands of the local kids.

So thats the main reason for xmods for now
I myself am leaning towards a awd,and will be wanting to convert to spektrum
tx/rx,I will attemt this mod 1st on one of the xmods.

Thinking a losi micro crawler,or micro t for rx

As far as the spektrum tx/rx goes. I'm not really sure why you would want to do this. The 2.4ghz mini-z boards are the reciever, servo motor, servo potentiomerter, and motor speed control all in one board. It seems like it would be a chalenge to get it all to fit in a mini-z, because there is not a ton of extra room depending on the body. Not that it wouldn't be possible, it just seems unnecessary considering how good the electronics already are. It might be an upgrade to use a spektrum, but a very minor one that would be difficult to achieve. But don't let me discourage you from doing this if this is something that you really want. It would be really cool if you
could.

rock hard
2011.09.26, 08:19 PM
I use spektum for all me and wifes rc's
crawlers,bashers,boats....so its what feels good and hers looks good to.

thestug
2011.09.26, 11:55 PM
I use spektum for all me and wifes rc's
crawlers,bashers,boats....so its what feels good and hers looks good to.

I know it may be what you are used to, but only ko-propo modules and transmitters will work with the stock mini-z board. The spectrum is not compatible to the mini-z board even though they are both 2.4ghz. It's not like you can just swap receivers to use a different remote. Like I said earlier the receiver is built into the circuit board. Mini-z's are also very small and don't use regular servos. The servos are built directly into the chassis. To use the spektrum you would have to find a way to make the mini-z servo motor work with the receiver, some sort of speed control, and find room for the receiver. This would mean that you wouldn't even use the mini-z electronics at all, except for the servo motor and potentiometer. I would personally love to be able to use a spektrum with my mini-z ,but I have never heard of anyone using one with a mini-z ever. Everyone uses a stock or modified mini-z board for a reciever. Kt-18s are good entry level transmitter. I personally use a ex5-ur. Sorry for the rant. Hope this helps.

rock hard
2011.09.27, 12:09 AM
I know it may be what you are used to, but only ko-propo modules and transmitters will work with the stock mini-z board. The spectrum is not compatible to the mini-z board even though they are both 2.4ghz. It's not like you can just swap receivers to use a different remote. Like I said earlier the receiver is built into the circuit board. Mini-z's are also very small and don't use regular servos. The servos are built directly into the chassis. To use the spektrum you would have to find a way to make the mini-z servo motor work with the receiver, some sort of speed control, and find room for the receiver. This would mean that you wouldn't even use the mini-z electronics at all, except for the servo motor and potentiometer. I would personally love to be able to use a spektrum with my mini-z ,but I have never heard of anyone using one with a mini-z ever. Everyone uses a stock or modified mini-z board for a reciever. Kt-18s are good entry level transmitter. I personally use a ex5-ur. Sorry for the rant. Hope this helps.

of the 2.4 radio's for the min-z's are like something off the jetsons:D
So is that the Kt-18 you mention?If so,I'll be wanting something else for sure
I see the ko propo is possibly compatable?I may find thats an option for me.

But I think I'll be trying something like mentioned in this thread.
There are a few spektrum equiped vehicles that may make good donors.
Also,since water is not an issue,I can lose the rx/esc cases.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22570&highlight=spektrum

or if that proves too difficult,I may go 3pk/4pk

thestug
2011.09.27, 12:21 PM
of the 2.4 radio's for the min-z's are like something off the jetsons:D
So is that the Kt-18 you mention?If so,I'll be wanting something else for sure
I see the ko propo is possibly compatable?I may find thats an option for me.

But I think I'll be trying something like mentioned in this thread.
There are a few spektrum equiped vehicles that may make good donors.
Also,since water is not an issue,I can lose the rx/esc cases.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22570&highlight=spektrum

or if that proves too difficult,I may go 3pk/4pk

Yes, the kt-18 is the weird looking transmitter. Ko-propo radios that have a mini-z module in them will work like a helios or ex-1. I use the ex5-ur because It was a great radio that didn't look weird and still had many functions. More functions than I will ever use. If you decide to go the spektrum route it will not be simple and will not look nearly as tidy with the reciever and speed control all sitting on top of the chassis instead of inside of the chassis. This will lead to a higher center of gravity and a slower overall car. I really recommend using a radio that is compatible with the mini-z board, because it keeps things very tidy.

rock hard
2011.09.27, 01:25 PM
Yes, the kt-18 is the weird looking transmitter. Ko-propo radios that have a mini-z module in them will work like a helios or ex-1. I use the ex5-ur because It was a great radio that didn't look weird and still had many functions. More functions than I will ever use. If you decide to go the spektrum route it will not be simple and will not look nearly as tidy with the reciever and speed control all sitting on top of the chassis instead of inside of the chassis. This will lead to a higher center of gravity and a slower overall car. I really recommend using a radio that is compatible with the mini-z board, because it keeps things very tidy.

Understood,but I know have to try,and probably go brushless/lipo while I'm at it.I have been considering a 4pk for some time now,if moding for spektrum becomes to much a hassle,I'll probably sell my radio gear and go 4pk.
But I love my 3500rx's

thestug
2011.09.27, 08:59 PM
Understood,but I know have to try,and probably go brushless/lipo while I'm at it.I have been considering a 4pk for some time now,if moding for spektrum becomes to much a hassle,I'll probably sell my radio gear and go 4pk.
But I love my 3500rx's

Wait, theres no need for brushless and lipo if you plan on racing on a track in this scale. In fact only in drag racing would you need this kind of power. The stock board with stacked FET and upgraded motor Is really all you would ever need. I think most experienced people in this forum would agree. Mini-z races are won with solid cornering skills and avoiding crashes. Lipo and brushless would just make you crash and lose more.

rock hard
2011.09.28, 12:49 AM
Wait, theres no need for brushless and lipo if you plan on racing on a track in this scale. In fact only in drag racing would you need this kind of power. The stock board with stacked FET and upgraded motor Is really all you would ever need. I think most experienced people in this forum would agree. Mini-z races are won with solid cornering skills and avoiding crashes. Lipo and brushless would just make you crash and lose more.

My bad,didint explain

I will be raing against my wife and kid,so yeah,no need for power.

But,I have it in myhead to use a awd car,set up to drift.I want to build a late model body,or possible a pos mustang body to look like a pony stock.

I feel the drift action on a long oval will nicely imitate the real 1:1 dirt oval action at the track.

So brushless combo will be mostly for more tunabalilty with less maintenance,and the fun/experience of the build,not for speed.

Likely I will choose one car for this,if you could see some of my projects in my other hobbies you would understand.

I have always been of the opinon,if a person has an idea,they owe it to themselfs to try.

unearthed name
2011.09.28, 01:11 AM
it is possible. my friend build a brushless mr-02 a while back, it run so fast that he only run it on the floor with adequate padding. i'll check to him if he can show me what's under the hood.

thestug
2011.09.28, 11:40 PM
it is possible. my friend build a brushless mr-02 a while back, it run so fast that he only run it on the floor with adequate padding. i'll check to him if he can show me what's under the hood.

Deifinitely possible, but way too much work. Go ahead and try it. I would love to see it.

rock hard
2011.09.28, 11:51 PM
Deifinitely possible, but way too much work. Go ahead and try it. I would love to see it.

I have 2 m2 chassis comming,and can begine to get an idea what Ihave to work with space wise.Though I will be needing to find a good awd chassis for the mods.

unearthed name
2011.09.29, 12:02 AM
AWD is hard because you need to put the motor inside the chassis. and the space to work with is limited. with mr-02 you can make your own motor mount. and put micro receiver.

rock hard
2011.09.29, 12:21 AM
AWD is hard because you need to put the motor inside the chassis. and the space to work with is limited. with mr-02 you can make your own motor mount. and put micro receiver.

I'v been looking at the pics of the awd's,and yeah,its gonna be a challenge.

I plan on getting 2 awd's,one I can jump into and start wheeling,and another I can use as a project.

thestug
2011.09.29, 06:54 PM
I'v been looking at the pics of the awd's,and yeah,its gonna be a challenge.

I plan on getting 2 awd's,one I can jump into and start wheeling,and another I can use as a project.

Right, The MR-02 has more room than the AWD. The awd would be very difficult to mount a brushless motor or a different anything for that matter. I struggle just to fit a light kit on some bodies.

rock hard
2011.09.29, 07:04 PM
I;m waiting for respons from a guy here with a awd I'm interested in

but for 2wd I have 2 cars comming,one is supposed to be a m2 with am controler.

then I have this one comming,this car has controler,but guy said it was real twitchy,I have been reading and appearently thats common inside with homes.

I will ouutside,no electronic devises other than other cars.

anyhow,this car cost me some parts I was thnking of trashing:p
what chassis is it? I want to use this car as my 2wd project,and would like to get a colored chassis in rout.

rock hard
2011.09.29, 07:04 PM
hmm,didnt work,lets try again

rock hard
2011.09.29, 07:05 PM
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Cordwood/7b703789.jpg

this is a pic of a m1...but the back doesnt look exactly the same
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1336/MR01-a.jpg

unearthed name
2011.09.30, 12:28 AM
it's a mr-01. you can swap the motor mount into different configuration. RM, MM, HM and stuff.

rock hard
2011.09.30, 01:57 AM
it's a mr-01. you can swap the motor mount into different configuration. RM, MM, HM and stuff.

Ok,seems like formard/low would be best on a track

rock hard
2011.10.04, 12:36 AM
no pics yet,but I received a lot in the mail today. I have been reading a lot here on the forum about xmods and miniz's.There really is no comparison,but I think the xmad was a very smart choice for putting in the hands of the kids.The minis is very quick,and steering is very responsive,even to responsive.I can see how a better radio will help a lot with trim/trim step settings and expo.

the mini z is a real joy to wheel,my concrete driveway has no cracks,so it was working well enough for today.

I received 2 miniz's a m1 and a m2 the m1 is a rebuilder,the m2 is ready for action.

the xmods I received are all in need of some attention,2 are drivable,3rd has a servo noise,sounds horrible.
The xmods are very slow of the start,I think a 80t may help
once they get going they are not to bad,they steer like a battle ship,but its very easy for the kids to control.

I will begin some wrenching late this week after a pick up small smaller tools.

EMU
2011.10.04, 02:04 AM
80t wont help... You need a motor like the ATM Stock-BB if you want low end power. 80t has lower torque than the 70t which is similar to the stock motor in power. The 80t just has more torque in the bottom end in comparison to the 70t.

rock hard
2011.10.04, 12:52 PM
80t wont help... You need a motor like the ATM Stock-BB if you want low end power. 80t has lower torque than the 70t which is similar to the stock motor in power. The 80t just has more torque in the bottom end in comparison to the 70t.

you just said 80t has more torque in the bottom end!
so I dont understand why that wont solve my problem.

you can hear the motor struggling to get the weight up to speed from stand still.
I dont know how much adjustability there is in the motor mount yet,since I cant wrench on it.But dropping a tooth on the motor pinion should help.

EMU
2011.10.04, 03:12 PM
It does not have more torque than the 70t. Most of the 80t's torque is in the lower RPM's, where the 70t has a little higher RPM torque.

With an 80t, they are geared all the way up, and are still slow. 70t is a little better, but if you want speed, those are not the motors to use.

arch2b
2011.10.04, 03:35 PM
i don't think he's asking for more speed but more power off the line to get the heavier xmods up to speed. at least that is the way i took it.

EMU
2011.10.04, 05:14 PM
Right, but I think the 70t is faster off the line than the 80t, just that the torque curve is different. He may have misinterpereted what was written in a different thread, as to think that the 80t has more torque than the 70t, which it does not. I was just trying to clear that up. It has a lower torque curve (more torque in the lower RPM relative to the RPM range), but less peak torque.

rock hard
2011.10.04, 07:17 PM
Right, but I think the 70t is faster off the line than the 80t, just that the torque curve is different. He may have misinterpereted what was written in a different thread, as to think that the 80t has more torque than the 70t, which it does not. I was just trying to clear that up. It has a lower torque curve (more torque in the lower RPM relative to the RPM range), but less peak torque.

yes I'm not looking for speed,infact speed is bad.I just want the car to get up and oing faster. The x mod is kinda heavy.

low end torque is what I'm wanting
I cant volt up,so I may try to gear down with the motor its got.