PDA

View Full Version : Tire question

Bung-drew
2011.10.05, 08:26 PM
When u guys mentioned 20 tires at the rear and 30 tires at the front for a decent tire setup radials all round or slicks?

unearthed name
2011.10.05, 09:12 PM
mine is all radials. some prefer 20 slick, 30 radials, or 20 radials, 20 slick, or 20 radial 30 slicks.

it depends on your track and your driving style.

cowboysir
2011.10.05, 10:32 PM
You get a bit more predictable action from slicks as fronts but unearthed name is correct in saying you should see what is most popular among your trackmates.

Bung-drew
2011.10.06, 01:28 AM
The drivers at atomic use 20 slicks in front 20 radials at the rear...but it seems my 20 slicks wear out pretty quick,so I was thinking of getting harder tires in front so they dun wear out faster than my rear tires

unearthed name
2011.10.06, 01:51 AM
get a 30 radial then.

hrdrvr
2011.10.06, 07:52 AM
Just to clarify, I am speaking only about Kyosho tires.

I run 20 radial or slick rears depending on the track and layout. I have actually adapted my driving and set ups to work for 40 radial front tires, as those last forever. I have found myself in some of the lower speed classes needing to run 30s sometimes. I start with slick, but then go to radial if it still isnt enough.

Generally speaking radial tires offer a bit more entry steering, and slicks offer a bit more exit steering and predictability, but it varies per set up and compound.

Bung-drew
2011.10.06, 01:56 PM
I also notice that slick fronts tend to have a slightly curved contact area when new,rather than the radials which have a flat contact area...

My 20 slick fronts are worn down to the point It has been trued down to about 1mm thick...every once in awhile they struggle to grip as much as they can when I engage a sharp right angled turn after topping out through the straight before that...and the tires will either fly off or buckle into the chassis depending on which direction I steer...it annoys me to no end.:mad:

EMU
2011.10.06, 05:23 PM
I also notice that slick fronts tend to have a slightly curved contact area when new,rather than the radials which have a flat contact area...

My 20 slick fronts are worn down to the point It has been trued down to about 1mm thick...every once in awhile they struggle to grip as much as they can when I engage a sharp right angled turn after topping out through the straight before that...and the tires will either fly off or buckle into the chassis depending on which direction I steer...it annoys me to no end.:mad:

No glue? If your tires are coming off, I recommend gluing or at least using the R246 tire tape to hold them on to the wheel.

geeunit1014
2011.10.06, 05:51 PM
No glue? If your tires are coming off, I recommend gluing or at least using the R246 tire tape to hold them on to the wheel.

That would also explain the lack of grip. The tire is folding over and moving around on the wheel instead of gripping like it should

babstar
2011.10.06, 07:19 PM
Tire choice depends on the track surface you are running on. If its kyosho RCP then first see which side of the tiles you run on. The 2 sides of the tiles differ in grip amount.

Rule of thumb for the mini-z is more grip on the rear than front. Kyosho 20 rear radials (038-20) work good on the less grippy side of RCP tracks. For front tires then try 30 shore slicks first, if you need more steer then try the 20 slicks. If you need even more go for radials. If the front grip is somewhere between 2 compounds then work on the rest of your setup (t-plate, springs, camber, dps oil etc). And always use at least grip tape on your rims.

I have very little experience with carpet but I remember that the atomic carpet tires (look like grooved F1 tires from the 2004/5 era) worked best for me then. Front, I can't remember, I think 20 slicks.

Don't worry about tire wear, it comes with the territory. Always make sure you got ample of your most used ones with you. I usually have a new package of them with me. And check that your tires are not running against the wheel arches at full steer.

Good luck and enjoy

Bung-drew
2011.10.06, 10:53 PM
do both sets offer the same amount of grip?
20 slick fronts/ 30 front radial...
With my current set up my Xanavi nismo GT-R can handle new 20 radial rears and 20 slick fronts just fine and can still maintain that handling when my tires are worn down alot,maybe with a bit of oversteer as the thread on the rear starts to wear out more...the 20 slicks cone and true themselves down real quick after 4-5 packs,but are still able to maintain the same level of grip when they are new.