PDA

View Full Version : My Homemade Track

AKbash57
2011.10.10, 06:05 PM
I decided I wanted to do more with my mini z than running up and down the living room and since there really arent any serious clubs or anything like that at all here in Anchorage, I decided to build my own for cheap rather than buying an RCP track thats worth 200$!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/Oliver_Salem/2011-10-10145102.jpg
The size is 8x6. It's fairly small but it fits exactly in my own room. Besides, I can keep expanding it anyways if I wanted to :).

This whole thing only cost me about 60$! Not that clean looking but good enough for the casual basher/racer in my opinion.
:)

thestug
2011.10.11, 05:06 PM
I decided I wanted to do more with my mini z than running up and down the living room and since there really arent any serious clubs or anything like that at all here in Anchorage, I decided to build my own for cheap rather than buying an RCP track thats worth 200$!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/Oliver_Salem/2011-10-10145102.jpg
The size is 8x6. It's fairly small but it fits exactly in my own room. Besides, I can keep expanding it anyways if I wanted to :).

This whole thing only cost me about 60$! Not that clean looking but good enough for the casual basher/racer in my opinion.
:)

Where did you buy these? I would like to get some, because I just bash most of the time.

AKbash57
2011.10.11, 05:49 PM
I got it from a sports authority. Any sports store should have them, and you can check online too they may be a bit cheaper!

thestug
2011.10.11, 10:13 PM
I got it from a sports authority. Any sports store should have them, and you can check online too they may be a bit cheaper!

What exactly are they called? Are they just foam rubber mats? I have never seen anything like that anywhere and my grandma owns a sporting goods store.

mikedw
2011.10.12, 12:52 PM
You can get them at Walmart in the automotive section called anti-fatigue mats about $12 for 4. I have a 20'x14' track made with them. They are much softer and have less grip than RCP.
Cheers

thestug
2011.10.12, 09:06 PM
You can get them at Walmart in the automotive section called anti-fatigue mats about $12 for 4. I have a 20'x14' track made with them. They are much softer and have less grip than RCP.
Cheers

Sweet, I don't really care about grip because I mostly bash, but what do you mean by soft. Like squishy and spongy? Is it hard enough that it won't affect a mini-z?

EMU
2011.10.12, 10:39 PM
I started racing on these types of mats... and the grip is not too bad. . . Its stiff enough to support the cars, you just have to scuff the tires a little between runs with some sandpaper to get the glaze off. It is the best bang for the buck track you can make.

thestug
2011.10.12, 11:15 PM
I started racing on these types of mats... and the grip is not too bad. . . Its stiff enough to support the cars, you just have to scuff the tires a little between runs with some sandpaper to get the glaze off. It is the best bang for the buck track you can make.

What does scuffing the tires do? It sounds like it would add a little grip, right?

EMU
2011.10.12, 11:43 PM
Yep. After running a bunch of laps on these tiles, the tires get pretty smooth, so scuffing them brings the grip up. Current tires may not need to be scuffed though... The tires that we used are no longer available, since they had less grip than the current Kyosho, PN and ATM RCP tires.

thestug
2011.10.13, 03:28 PM
Yep. After running a bunch of laps on these tiles, the tires get pretty smooth, so scuffing them brings the grip up. Current tires may not need to be scuffed though... The tires that we used are no longer available, since they had less grip than the current Kyosho, PN and ATM RCP tires.

Good to know even though I mostly drift. There isn't anybody to race in iowa.

mikedw
2011.10.13, 05:35 PM
The Atomic 10 degree tires work good for racing, no scuffing needed. The PN carpet tires are good to, again 10 degree or 6 degree, I like them on my F1 too. Foam tires work on this as well and can be super grippy with some traction compound.
I'm not much of a drifter but, I have tried it and it works fine.

AKbash57
2011.10.13, 06:19 PM
Actually at first my car was gripping ok, but after a couple of runs it started having more understeering. that sanding may help with that, so I'll check it out! thanks!

ZBest
2011.10.13, 08:03 PM
Actually at first my car was gripping ok, but after a couple of runs it started having more understeering. that sanding may help with that, so I'll check it out! thanks!

I have to whipe down my tiles after long runs. Use a cloth to whipe the dust off and you should get the traction back.

danjoyy25
2012.07.22, 10:27 PM
Sorry to dig this up, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Pics of my almost complete track. Just waiting for Ilaps and Im set :)

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo258/danjoy25/P7223163.jpg

2.7RS
2012.07.23, 06:00 AM
Cool.
I have a lot of the same type of mats, but I cannot find a good way to fasten the rails.
What did you do?

danjoyy25
2012.07.23, 06:52 PM
Pics will show how pipes are fasten. Strong enough, easy to dismantle and doesn't damage the mats as well. I use a packaging tape, but pretty sure other tapes with work as well.:)