PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

AKbash57
2011.10.11, 01:44 AM
I dont know if this is normal or not but yesterday I was checking how the wheels turn by looking underneath the chassis and noticed that when starting off slowly, the rear left (the one by the spur gear) turns first and that from top speed, that same wheel coast a bit longer than the other one. Is this because of the way the diff is set up? Is this normal? I took it apart last night and nothing is binding...I even oiled the bearings I put on it.

Thanks!

EMU
2011.10.11, 02:31 AM
There is the additional mass of the diff shaft which is attached the the left wheel (when looking at the chassis from the top, with the front away from you). Since there is more mass, it will make that wheel require more energy to begin its rotation, and will require more energy to stop its rotation, so it will spin longer.

I havent really noticed it make too much of a difference on my cars though... Although, if you use a gear diff, it may be more easily noticed.

AKbash57
2011.10.11, 02:36 AM
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking too. But I wanted to be sure. Thanks EMU. Would a ball diff fix this tho? I have the stock gear diff right now

EMU
2011.10.11, 04:37 AM
I do not notice this with the ball diff at all. There is less free spin (differentiation) on the ball diff than the gear diff. You can also open the gear diff up and install some grease, which will make it much less pronounced. Using a titanium or lightweight shaft balances the mass between wheels better, but there is still more mass attached to the left wheel than the right.

AKbash57
2011.10.11, 05:04 AM
I see. what kind of differences would I notice with a ball diff? oversteering? understeering? straight line tracking? etc? I have no experience with this kind of diffs before or much with mini z's...I was always a 1/8th monster truck kind of guy with my savage flux, and emaxx and etc, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
edit: Another question...I want to get my bro something better than an xmod and was wondering whether I should go with an Iwaver or a mini z iseries.
for the iseries, does it have reverse? I thought the only thing it didnt hav was brake but I read somewhere that it didnt have reverse...I just wanted to make sure tho.
Thanks!

kryten
2011.10.11, 05:37 AM
Personally i wouldnt touch an iwaver,i think they are rubbish. The i-series has no brake,but does have reverse.

AKbash57
2011.10.11, 08:50 AM
Thanks! guess I'll just get him an iseries then.