PDA

View Full Version : [drift] MA010 or MA010-DWS and Body?

Neverbrake
2011.10.18, 07:47 AM
Hello everyboy,
I drift in 1/10 RC and I want to buy a Mini-z for playing at home every evening on my stone floor and maybe on track.

Witch one is the best between Ma010 and MA010-DWS for drifting?

And what body is the best-handling at the level of the weight and of the thickness?

I read here
http://www.mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm
(in the section " Good driving bodysuits ")
that certain body are better than others, but it concerns racing Mini-Z,
Witch body is the best for drifting?

I prefer turning the wheel in the opposite direction excesively than sliding by keeping wheels straight.

By viewing videos I believed to see that the Sylvia S15 seems to have a handling which pleases me, but I do not know which options was on it in these video...

Ps: I' m French, excuse my poor English :-\

Thanks

Deca
2011.10.18, 10:36 AM
I run an FC3S and prefer it to my friends S15. It feels smoother and heavier, bit more natural motion and not as twitchy with counter inputs. If you want to hold countersteer throughout a drift you're going to need to mess with the gearing (you're probably familiar from 1/10 stuff) to have the rear wheels rotating faster than the fronts. I haven't messed with this personally but think it looks pretty cool, the only issue is that it will become almost impossible to drive straight. At a scale this small the cars sort of need to rely on AWD drifting, which unfortunately doesn't involve a lot of held countersteer. If you do end up experimenting with the gearing and have some success let me know, I'd be interested to try at some point.

I don't have experience with the DWS but I can't really imagine it making a big difference for drifting. I could be wrong, but it just seems like a really expensive upgrade for something that probably wouldn't make a really noticeable change in drift performance.

I run 4.5 degree camber knuckles on my front wheels, 0 in the back, locked up the rear stock differential by putting some putty in it, and just recently installed the atomic one-way differential in the front. Bearings installed obviously..I think I'm still running stock springs. I taped two stacked quarters under the center of the hood and that really improved the handling. I wouldn't recommend starting out with the front one-way, drift without it until you're fairly comfortable and then when you install it you'll find a lot of stuff easier to do and have more options available. I feel like relying on it in the beginning might limit you. It's also worth mentioning that the one-way will REALLY take a chunk out of your run time, that was a big difference I noticed.

Hope this is helpful, if you have any more questions ask away!

thestug
2011.10.18, 11:11 AM
Hello everyboy,
I drift in 1/10 RC and I want to buy a Mini-z for playing at home every evening on my stone floor and maybe on track.

Witch one is the best between Ma010 and MA010-DWS for drifting?

And what body is the best-handling at the level of the weight and of the thickness?

I read here
http://www.mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm
(in the section " Good driving bodysuits ")
that certain body are better than others, but it concerns racing Mini-Z,
Witch body is the best for drifting?

I prefer turning the wheel in the opposite direction excesively than sliding by keeping wheels straight.

By viewing videos I believed to see that the Sylvia S15 seems to have a handling which pleases me, but I do not know which options was on it in these video...

Ps: I' m French, excuse my poor English :-\

Thanks

The MA-010 and the DWS version will both work well for drifting. The DWS is a bit nicer and more expensive. I would buy the DWS if cost is not an issue.

As far as a drifting body is concerned, just pick something you like the look of.
I have used many bodies for drifting. The 90mm wheelbase bodies are good if you like something nimble. 94 and 98mm bodies are good for long graceful drifts. The distribution of body weight doesn't matter much in drifting, but it does in racing. Bodies with large mass on the front and back tend to rotate more slowly than bodies with small masses, but any body can drift well.

You can buy gears that will allow the rear tires to spin faster than the front, but only about 8% faster. You are probably used to seeing 50-100% faster in 1/10 scale drifting. 8% is definitely enough for 1/28 scale. If you run stock diffs you might have to force more oversteer than you are used to to get that
counter-steer look.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums, BTW.