PDA

View Full Version : Front end chatter

Tapir
2011.10.19, 06:49 PM
Can anyone explain this?
If I use grippy front tires. X15's etc, my front end chatters quite a lot. Dampening seems to have no effect on the chatter.
Grip is good, but I think the chattering takes away speed. It doesnt sound good either:rolleyes:

The tires are glued, trued etc, and no folding is happening.

Any ideas?

unearthed name
2011.10.19, 06:58 PM
Which part of the tire you glued? The middle part or the side wall?

Mike Keely
2011.10.19, 07:29 PM
Are you running the stock frontend on the car or using anyones aftermarket front end parts? Are you able to take a picture of the frontend and post it?

Tapir
2011.10.20, 11:19 AM
The tires are secured with R246 tape.
Sometimes I glue, sometimes i use this tape.

As for front end, I am using a reverse king pin setup.
Will try to get pictures later.

I have quite a lot of preload on it.

lfisminiz
2011.10.20, 04:00 PM
I know on the PN reverse king pin set-up i have, I like the soft springs. Usually blue. Orange is softer yet. Hard springs dont work for me.

color01
2011.10.20, 04:07 PM
That could be part of it -- when I run reverse kingpin, I use soft springs and zero preload. I make sure there's zero preload and zero droop when the car is sitting on the ground with batteries and body, this tends to give me the best baseline setup to work with.

Mike Keely
2011.10.20, 06:09 PM
That could be part of it -- when I run reverse kingpin, I use soft springs and zero preload. I make sure there's zero preload and zero droop when the car is sitting on the ground with batteries and body, this tends to give me the best baseline setup to work with.

+1 I agree

themelis factor
2011.10.21, 03:59 AM
Chattering sometimes occurs when there is too much rear traction. Try using a harder rear tire or try using the PN tri shock system. By running the tri shock setup it will help you corner faster and should eliminate frontend chatter.

Tapir
2011.10.26, 05:38 PM
Less preload and softer springs helped. Thanks a lot.

Regarding tri shock mentioned. Does only the PN work?

color01
2011.10.27, 08:45 AM
PN and Reflex are both good -- Reflex's is lighter and smaller but I prefer the PN one for its longer damper tubes (holds more oil). But that's only for rear end chatter problems -- if your front end is chattering then you must address the front end setup, and vice versa.

Atomic-USA
2011.10.27, 09:43 AM
Try lubing your kingpin or adding some camber.