PDA

View Full Version : Traction improvement on RCP

ACT
2011.10.23, 01:58 PM
Hi all,

I would like hear from you guys on how to improve traction on the RCP track .

We had the track for coming to 2 years now. For the first year we were all running Atomic tires (AR-144).

The atomic tires left a strain of silicon on the track causing it to be oily and sticky.

On the second year, we stopped using atomic tires and switched to kyosho tires.

After running kyosho tires for coming 10 months the traction on the track did improve however there is still a trace of the silicon on the track.

Is there any way to completely remove this silicon compound and improve the tracks traction?

Please kindly share.....

Thank you in advance

arch2b
2011.10.23, 02:39 PM
very interesting question. i hope someone has a good solution as i think more people have this problem and just don't realize it.

chad508
2011.10.23, 04:54 PM
Ive heard of people washing them with simple green and a pressure washer. Simple green is a heavy duty degreaser.

yasuji
2011.10.23, 06:01 PM
for the race that we went to in maine @ bill crottys i think he said that he sprayed it down with simple green then vacuumed it

ACT
2011.10.23, 10:52 PM
What we have tried so far till date as follows:

1. Washing and scrubbing every tile with detergent and drying it under shade.

2. Spray degreaser on the track then vacuum it.

3. Use a steam cleaner over it.

All the above cannot remove the silicon base completely.

herman
2011.10.23, 11:32 PM
hmm good question... are there tires that are rcp specific? (kinda been out of it for a while pertaining to tires) meaning no silicone? why did they put them in the tire in the first place? thanks for any reply...

are silicone tires ok on carpet tracks too? or do they have the same effect on carpet as well (leaving them "oily and sticky" as you put it)

thanks for any reply... :D

EMU
2011.10.24, 03:43 AM
You can definitely feel the silicone build up on the carpet as well. The first time we drove on the track, we used Kyosho tires, and one racer used silicone tires... a couple more started as well seeing that he had a grip advantage, then the Kyosho tires had little to no grip. The next week almost everyone was on silicone tires, but the LM class had to use LM tires. Needless to say, we were ice skating. I had to resort to truing the tire to increase grip, which didnt last too long before it went down, but it was enough to get far enough ahead to be able to get an easy win. The next week the tire rule was lifted to permit silicone tires.

We get a good deal of silicone goo build up on our tires. If you run your car too low, it will build up on your chassis. So it definitely has similar effect.

There are RCP specific tires, which are rubber, with low to no silicone content. Atomic has an 8d rear that works well on tracks that have not been used with silicone tires or heavily with Kyosho tires (which contain a small amount of silicone from my understanding). Most of the PN line of tires are RCP tires, although they do have a silicone carpet tire as well. RCP tracks with some silicone in them work ok with Kyosho tires, but not with the PN or Atomic rears. For a while I wondered why the ATM or PN tires would not hook up at Action RC, it was because for years people used carpet front tires and Kyosho rear tires.

herman
2011.10.24, 05:03 AM
thanks for the info...
my next question is kinda off topic...
so what would be a good all around tire to use?
- for rcp (with little to no silicone on it)
- for rcp (with mild to heavy silicone on it)
- for carpet (with little to no silicone on it)
- for carpet (with mild to heavy silicone on it)
- for both

EMU
2011.10.24, 12:11 PM
thanks for the info...
my next question is kinda off topic...
so what would be a good all around tire to use?
- for rcp (with little to no silicone on it)
- for rcp (with mild to heavy silicone on it)
- for carpet (with little to no silicone on it)
- for carpet (with mild to heavy silicone on it)
- for both

-PN rubber RCP tires or ATM 8d rear
-Kyosho radials, harder rated ATM front tires for slow motors
-Foam or Kyosho radials
-ATM (minus 8d rear) or 3Racing tires
-Kyosho radial

LED
2011.10.24, 01:28 PM
Here is a good solution that noone wants to hear, drive ont he smooth side of the track. Ok maybe a little lss grip (not noticable with a decent setup) no trouble with the silicone stuff, and your tires last 5 times longer then on the rough side.