PDA

View Full Version : New Optima buggy

kryten
2011.10.31, 11:03 AM
We got these in today,ready for tomorrow's release,couldn't resist havinh a play. :)

A little vid to show size. :)
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/th_IMG_0367.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/?action=view&current=IMG_0367.mp4)

Chassis

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050605.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050606.jpg

Right hand side of board does motor,left does steering. Motor wires now screw into metal nuts,not plastic :) Also uses 2x2 of 3010's.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050610.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050612.jpg

kryten
2011.10.31, 11:03 AM
Drive train,with slipper :)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050614.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050622.jpg

Uses std AWD diffs :D Both needed a shim on them.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050615.jpg

Steering setup

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050613.jpg

wheels

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050627.jpg

Chassis comes fully ball raced.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Private/P1050626.jpg

herman
2011.11.02, 03:29 AM
thanks for sharing... :D

kryten
2011.11.02, 07:13 AM
90 views and 1 comment. thanks herman.

NoBrainer
2011.11.02, 07:15 AM
Really great of you shareing these pictures and comments.

Guinness
2011.11.02, 11:20 AM
is the steering servo coreless?

kryten
2011.11.02, 12:56 PM
Yes,it's the same one as the 03 by the looks of it.

Here's a little video of us running on a circuit 30 (mini-96)

Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPTPFkLBNNA)

arch2b
2011.11.02, 01:39 PM
what is your opinion on durability?

cdog4w
2011.11.02, 02:05 PM

+1

Surpising the buggy needed shims to fit the diff, the part list shows MDW018 as the ball diff optional upgrade which is the existing ma-010 part #.

Guinness
2011.11.02, 02:06 PM
Yes,it's the same one as the 03 by the looks of it.

thanks. and thanks for the pics!

kyoshosan
2011.11.02, 02:09 PM
On the first picture I see one buggy in white ? is the blue/yellow decoration just decals ?

Thanks for sharing your findings, I'm looking forward to receive mine. :)

color01
2011.11.02, 04:12 PM
kryten, how many wires run from the left PCB to the right PCB? Wondering if someone like Actionplus would be able to decode the signal and figure out a way to hack on a brushless ESC... :) :) :) :)

kryten
2011.11.02, 04:20 PM
They are pretty strong,we've had some decent crashes and the only issue is the tierod jumping off the servo. I'm assuming this is designed in to save breakages.

+1

Surprising the buggy needed shims to fit the diff, the part list shows MDW018 as the ball diff optional upgrade which is the existing ma-010 part #.
Maybe the ball diff won't need shims,but the stock plastic one does. They are the same diffs as the MA010.

On the first picture I see one buggy in white ? is the blue/yellow decoration just decals ?
Thanks for sharing your findings, I'm looking forward to receive mine. :)
That's correct,the buggy is white with a yellow rear end,the rest are decals.
You're welcome,i'll post more as i run the buggy more.

kryten, how many wires run from the left PCB to the right PCB? Wondering if someone like Actionplus would be able to decode the signal and figure out a way to hack on a brushless ESC... :) :) :) :)
The 5 wire plug you see in the pics connects the board halves. :)

These things are pretty quick with just an x-speed. Fetted with a hot motor,they would be loony. :D

cdog4w
2011.11.02, 08:12 PM
Thanks! I get mine tomorrow, but too late for our track day at work :( Can't make it home and back out, just doesn't make sense.

bobbyz
2011.11.02, 11:22 PM
They do look pretty quick. Were the buggies. In the vid running the stock motor or an xspeed? Nice skills on the mini96 btw.

d1nzfe
2011.11.03, 04:38 AM
I tried it out of the box, it came with sliver can motor. It's damn slow ,for me..
Threw in a atomic stock R and its so much better.:D

kryten
2011.11.03, 05:19 AM
They do look pretty quick. Were the buggies. In the vid running the stock motor or an xspeed? Nice skills on the mini96 btw.

Thats stock motor with 750 SHO batts. It does seem a little slow if you run it in big open spaces,but it's quick enough on a racetrack. :) Thanks :D

d1nzfe
2011.11.03, 10:43 AM
One nice thing is that it runs quieter then MA010 :)

greenepa76
2011.11.03, 10:50 AM
It is quieter, but mine is running hot. It's got that medical bandage smell when you overheat the stock motors. Drivetrain is completely free and no binding. I wonder if it is geared properly?

kryten
2011.11.03, 11:52 AM
Stock gearing is as low as it gets i think as it's on a1/b1 gearing on the smallest pinion.
It is a shame they didnt make it use the MA010 motor holders too,then we could use the pn split gears. Hopefully they will release those soon for the buggys.

cdog4w
2011.11.05, 01:03 AM
Got mine yesterday, a few thoughts:

-I agree that it feels slow out of the box (on TO 900 HV cells). Probably fine on a track, but I haven't had a chance to check it out on rcp yet.
-Came out of the box with the rear shocks up front and vice versa
-One shock had more resistance than the rest, will need a rebuild to figure out why
-Flashing on the shock body caps needs to be cut away, it catchs on the spring during travel

Aside from those few negatives, it drives fantastic, so crisp! I can't wait to get it on a track and jump it.

If I were looking for a replacement motor with a little more grunt, what would some good choices be? d1nzfe suggests the Atomic stock R. How is the Kyosho AWD/2.4 X-Speed V motor?

bermbuster
2011.11.05, 03:56 AM

-I agree that it feels slow out of the box (on TO 900 HV cells). Probably fine on a track, but I haven't had a chance to check it out on rcp yet.
-One shock had more resistance than the rest, will need a rebuild to figure out why
-Flashing on the shock body caps needs to be cut away, it catchs on the spring during travel

Aside from those few negatives, it drives fantastic, so crisp! I can't wait to get it on a track and jump it.

If I were looking for a replacement motor with a little more grunt, what would some good choices be? d1nzfe suggests the Atomic stock R. How is the Kyosho AWD/2.4 X-Speed V motor?
Based on my awd experience my racing buds would tell you to drop in a Chili....me Im going to try a PN 43t....a 50t would work awesome too. Im going to leave mine stock because we have a race coming up Dec 3 at Kyosho America.....Cant wait....:D

cdog4w
2011.11.06, 01:55 AM
Based on my awd experience my racing buds would tell you to drop in a Chili....me Im going to try a PN 43t....a 50t would work awesome too. Im going to leave mine stock because we have a race coming up Dec 3 at Kyosho America.....Cant wait....:D

I get a discount on kyosho stuff, how does the xspeed compare to other motors? Anyone know the turn count?

Thanks for the suggestions!

kryten
2011.11.06, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure of the turn count either,i'd also like to know. I do know the awd x-speed on 750sho orions is pretty quick. I have 60t and 50t motors i'm also going to try at our big track meet on the 13th.

mini-z
2011.11.06, 06:21 PM

Durability is amazing! I have been been kicking seven shades of...well let's just say I've not been too careful with mine and it's done amazingly considering. I did manage to bend a shock shaft but I think it was the result of a several-foot jump onto concrete! And amazingly I was able to bend it back fairly easily! :eek: The body is the one weak point. I would recommend reinforcing the area where it clips onto the chassis with tape or glue - I had to since it was hanging on by a thread after a night of serious bashing, but I would strongly recommend preemptive reinforcement before that point. Note that this was due to extensive flipping onto concrete btw...perhaps sane use might not require it...but I'd do it anyway, at least until replacement bodies are in stock. But yeah I have been bashing mine like you wouldn't believe and it's massively scarred, but holding up great!! :):cool:

mini-z
2011.11.06, 06:26 PM
It is quieter, but mine is running hot. It's got that medical bandage smell when you overheat the stock motors. Drivetrain is completely free and no binding. I wonder if it is geared properly?

I cut out the right window on mine and it makes a massive difference in motor temp in my experience. :)

mini-z
2011.11.06, 06:33 PM

cdog4w, FYI the shocks do not come w/ oil installed - you need to rebuild each before running (well, actually it runs OK w/ just the springs - but the difference that oil-filled makes is fairly significant/worth the hassle). And, I'm sure this is what you meant, but just to make sure - the long shocks go in the front, the short in the rear. :)

mini-z
2011.11.06, 06:38 PM
I get a discount on kyosho stuff, how does the xspeed compare to other motors? Anyone know the turn count?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Don't hold me to it but I want to say the X-Speed is around 50 turns ? Just off the top of my head...the original 2WD X-Speed at least - I guess I'm not 100% sure that the MA-010 X-Speed Motor V is wound the same...? :o

cdog4w
2011.11.06, 09:45 PM
cdog4w, FYI the shocks do not come w/ oil installed - you need to rebuild each before running (well, actually it runs OK w/ just the springs - but the difference that oil-filled makes is fairly significant/worth the hassle). And, I'm sure this is what you meant, but just to make sure - the long shocks go in the front, the short in the rear. :)

I added oil, but one shock still has more resistance. Did you do a full rebuild on all of them before adding oil?

According to the manual, the ones with more plastic (shorter throw) should be up front.

Don't hold me to it but I want to say the X-Speed is around 50 turns ? Just off the top of my head...the original 2WD X-Speed at least - I guess I'm not 100% sure that the MA-010 X-Speed Motor V is wound the same...? :o

Thanks! Seems like I should just pick one up :)

cdog4w
2011.11.07, 04:19 PM
Anyone else have the experience that they need to stay almost full throttle to stay flat on a jump? I'm using a simple triangle flat ramp, no curve to the face and if I let off the throttle at all, the nose drops too much.

Seems like it needs a wing to jump a bit more neutral.

hrdrvr
2011.11.07, 05:56 PM
I think this is just a characteristic of jumping micro RCs. The same is true with my LOSI 1/24 vehicles. If I let off coming up the ramp, or in the air, they nose dive. I have to stay on throttle til they land just to keep them flat. You could always build a down side ramp to help the problem.

reaper
2011.11.07, 06:05 PM
all cars are this way rc or real

to lift the nose apply throttle to dip the nose release throttle or brake ....

cdog4w
2011.11.08, 02:19 PM
all cars are this way rc or real

to lift the nose apply throttle to dip the nose release throttle or brake ....

That's just it, there's no throttle left to apply; I'm hitting the jump WOT. I suppose I could take it slower so I have some room for adjustment, but that's no fun :)

My 18th scales jumped way more neutral than this, I assume again because of the wing leveling it off in the air w/o requiring additional force from full throttle on the wheels.

reaper
2011.11.08, 02:48 PM
hmm i get what your saying now , are you still on the stock motor ?

im running an x-speed and r1 750's this gives a nice amount of power left to lift the front on jumps ....and the 750's make it very reponsive

cdog4w
2011.11.08, 05:39 PM
hmm i get what your saying now , are you still on the stock motor ?

im running an x-speed and r1 750's this gives a nice amount of power left to lift the front on jumps ....and the 750's make it very reponsive

Yea, stock motor, and running team orion 900 HVs.

You running the AWD x-speed V? http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Mini-Z-X-Speed-V-Motor-AWD-24GHz_p_5282.html (MDW023)

I was leaning towards picking one of those up to see if it helped along with getting the lazer wing when released.

kryten
2011.11.08, 06:54 PM
I'm using the awd x-speed in mine,but an x-speed on 900hv orions is about the same speed as stock motor with 750sho orions.
The x-speed and 750 sho cells is quite quick. :)

cdog4w
2011.11.09, 05:48 PM
Are those 750SHO's that much faster than the 900HVs?

Time to go read the battery forum I guess :|

kryten
2011.11.09, 07:26 PM
yes they are,it's like you changed the motor. You should deffo give them a try. :)

benmlee
2011.11.09, 11:09 PM
That's just it, there's no throttle left to apply; I'm hitting the jump WOT. I suppose I could take it slower so I have some room for adjustment, but that's no fun :)

My 18th scales jumped way more neutral than this, I assume again because of the wing leveling it off in the air w/o requiring additional force from full throttle on the wheels.
That means the motor is already spinning at max rpm. Motor must be running too light. You have to gear up so the motor can accelerate once is in the air, and cause the front to lift. I don't have a buggy yet, but that should be the physics of rotational inertia.

cdog4w
2011.11.17, 02:56 PM
Anyone able to fit a trackmate or i-lap transponder *under* the body? Pretty tight and I don't think I can manage it and have the rear body mount work still.

I think I'll end up mounting on the side panel to the right of the "driver cabin". Cord won't reach the nose section in front of the cabin w/o mods.

oXYnary
2011.12.11, 10:54 PM
Hey for any painters out there, I did a vector mock up of body you can use to paint over to test paint ideas on.

kryten
2011.12.14, 04:45 PM
I've fitted all the available upgrades to our Optima today,except the main shaft. The car only gained 2g :)

Still waiting for CVD's tho :(

GIHOSU
2011.12.14, 09:27 PM
That looks pretty sweet, I am pleased that there is only a 2g weight gain with all that aluminum.

I was comparing the front shock towers and it appeared to me that the aluminum one has shock mounting holes that are just a little bit higher that the stock one when I was comparing by holding the new one up against the stock one. Now that you have it installed can you confirm that? Did you adjust your front shocks? I am thinking about 2mm or so of o-rings on the exposed part of the shock shafts to limit travel and maybe keep the front of the chassis off the track a little more.

I picked up those parts in gold too. I couldn't resist, they will soon be on my SC truck.

lfisminiz
2011.12.14, 09:42 PM
Kryten - looking good. Kind of waiting to see what PN comes out with.;)