PDA

View Full Version : another newb question 02ex-reversing?

jeninjohnk
2011.11.10, 12:23 PM
before i make this purchase i wanted to ask. i read another thread that the reversing issue on the mr-02 ex chassis. has been resolved. IS THIS TRUE?:confused: i would perfer a 2.4 radio to a AM. but if they still have issues i would go after the AM set-up. i 'd rather have the stupid antenna to a vehicle that leaves me stuck at the wall waiting (for what seems forever) to get into reverse. thanks again--john

thestug
2011.11.10, 05:41 PM
before i make this purchase i wanted to ask. i read another thread that the reversing issue on the mr-02 ex chassis. has been resolved. IS THIS TRUE?:confused: i would perfer a 2.4 radio to a AM. but if they still have issues i would go after the AM set-up. i 'd rather have the stupid antenna to a vehicle that leaves me stuck at the wall waiting (for what seems forever) to get into reverse. thanks again--john

It's really not that bad. It just takes time to get used to it just like anything else. IMO 2.4ghz is amazing. To me it would be worth it to have zero glitching at the expense of the reverse delay. If you do crash just be very deliberate when you try to get into reverse. I would definitely go the 2.4 route.

LED
2011.11.11, 08:40 AM
Why do people make such a fuss about the delay on the MR02. It takes 0.3 seconds to get into reverse. Like thestug said, you are going to loose alot more time with an AM setup (power alone is alot less) crashing because of glitching then you will loose time because of the reverse. 9/10 times you crash someone is behind you anyway and you have to wait for them to pass.

color01
2011.11.11, 10:33 AM
Because it forces you to think about the car's limitations, when there are already enough (chassis/grip, track layout/surface, etc.). The last thing I want to do in a race is hit a wall, decide I have enough time to reverse and keep going before the guy behind me catches up, and "....oh, right, 0.3s delay." That's a pain, because not only do you have the delay but it doesn't always catch -- the MR02 ASF is notorious for "resetting" the count if you so much as overshoot neutral by 1mm.

The MR02EX does NOT have this issue, thankfully, I'm told that it has the same ICS settings available as the MR03 (i.e. the reverse delay can be adjusted).

jeninjohnk
2011.11.11, 01:20 PM
the reason i'm pressing the issue. i was racing over the weekend on a AM set-up. the delay was like 4-5 sec.!the guy behind me could make it almost all the around the track before my reverse would work!:eek:.. maybe it was just glittchy or whatever. it just made it very frustrating. thanks for all your help. john

deloreanaka8
2011.11.11, 03:41 PM
Not to sound mean or anything, but that car you tried out had some serious problem or the radio wasn't tuned properly. :confused:
I use a AM board in my MR-02 and never had a problem with the reverse function, it's almost instantaneous when I double-push my radio's stick into reverse.
The user z3zinho has a MR-03, which does use a ASF board, never seen him have any trouble getting it into reverse.

Hope you can try a car in better condition, because a 4 second delay is just impossible in a working board. :eek:

LED
2011.11.11, 05:09 PM
Because it forces you to think about the car's limitations, when there are already enough (chassis/grip, track layout/surface, etc.). The last thing I want to do in a race is hit a wall, decide I have enough time to reverse and keep going before the guy behind me catches up, and "....oh, right, 0.3s delay." That's a pain, because not only do you have the delay but it doesn't always catch -- the MR02 ASF is notorious for "resetting" the count if you so much as overshoot neutral by 1mm.

The MR02EX does NOT have this issue, thankfully, I'm told that it has the same ICS settings available as the MR03 (i.e. the reverse delay can be adjusted).

I'm sorry but I totaly disagree with this. I have my MR02 for 3 years now. I drive it every 2 weeks. I never have had issues with the reverse not catching or resetting. When I hit a wall I always hit the brakes. So by the time I even had the chance to look at what is coming behind me the 0.3 sec have already passed. You also have to make that split decision if its save or not. It's all in the mind in my opinion. Besides, a good driver like yourself shouldn't even have to use its reverse in a race. Unless you are launched by an other driver :p

Anyway everyone his own opinion and my opnion is that the reverse delay is not a reason not to buy a 2.4

color01
2011.11.11, 08:25 PM
Everyone needs reverse. :p

The reverse delay on the 02 ASF board was a large enough problem for me that I had to use all the tricks -- 8 clicks back on the throttle trim, setting the ICS throttle deadband to wide -- to make sure my trigger was in the "neutral" position for as long as possible (i.e. effective delay time shortened). Once that was done, then yes, the reverse delay is much less noticeable, but now you have a noticeable throttle deadband and unwanted drag brake (well, for Stock. Drag brake is great for Mod). Anyways, in my experience the 03 board is just more user-friendly in this respect and I've been hearing good things about the 02EX as well, so John already has the option not to deal with this reverse delay.

jeninjohnk
2011.11.11, 10:58 PM
this is all great info! a little delay is fine. it must have been the club car i picked. my buddy was using another car from the club and didn't have any noticable trouble. if i going to shell out the cash for a new vehicle-i wanted to do some homework.if not, go cheap enough with a used AM vehicle and and endure the gliches. i'm going with the "get what you pay for" idea on this one(completely aganst my cheap-o charater). i'm looking to have some fun! if i'm lucky maybe i''l even place better than last.:o thanks again john