PDA

View Full Version : Body for GT-Mod

tudor_47
2011.11.14, 12:50 AM
OK guys what is the prefered body for GT-Mod?

color01
2011.11.14, 05:19 AM
On carpet I'm seeing all sorts of bodies, so that doesn't really apply, but on RCP I've been seeing the same few come and go:

Mosler MT900
Ferrari 599XX
Honda HSV-010
Ferrari 360GTC/F430GT

I'm of the opinion that the Nissan GT-R GT500 is just as fast (it's popular in Asia...:rolleyes:), but it's much more fragile than the first three so that would limit its popularity.

Right now I'm trying to find other bodies that work so I can, you know, be a hipster... :D but the lower the track grip, the more variety I see in bodies (SC430's, longtail McLaren, etc.), and I'm currently putting together a street F430 with all the aero tweaks to see if it's better than the last F430GT I ran (also heavily aero tweaked).

LED
2011.11.14, 05:31 AM
Murcielago for me ! (not the SV)

tudor_47
2011.11.14, 08:50 AM
On carpet I'm seeing all sorts of bodies, so that doesn't really apply, but on RCP I've been seeing the same few come and go:

Mosler MT900
Ferrari 599XX
Honda HSV-010
Ferrari 360GTC/F430GT

I'm of the opinion that the Nissan GT-R GT500 is just as fast (it's popular in Asia...:rolleyes:), but it's much more fragile than the first three so that would limit its popularity.

Right now I'm trying to find other bodies that work so I can, you know, be a hipster... :D but the lower the track grip, the more variety I see in bodies (SC430's, longtail McLaren, etc.), and I'm currently putting together a street F430 with all the aero tweaks to see if it's better than the last F430GT I ran (also heavily aero tweaked).

Thanks!
not all of them 98mm wheelbase...

yasuji
2011.11.14, 09:44 AM
the GTMOD podium @ the PNWC in 2010 and 2011 have been MOSLER:cool:

EMU
2011.11.14, 10:07 AM
In general, the Mosler is the most dominant Mod GT body. It has good aero, balance, is great in collisions, and generates good grip for lower traction tracks as well. On lower traction, I feel that the Murcielago is just as fast, but not as consistent due to the wider rear end than the front. As much as I try to make other bodies as fast as the Mosler, they cant quite reach the balance, and ability that the Mosler has at using more power at low and high speed.

color01
2011.11.14, 01:41 PM
It's also because the Mosler HAS to be modified before you can be competitive, meaning that as you're cutting into the body, you're tuning it to whatever handling characteristics you're looking for. And it has a LOT of plastic that can be left on or removed to do that tuning. My Mosler is slammed to the ground (you literally can't go any lower, you'll cut into the front clip) and is missing the rear bumper almost entirely; with the right choice of rear spoiler it is the most versatile body I have. As EMU said in another thread, it just works for about 90% of the tracks out there.

Sometimes I'll find a body for a specific track that just works, for example the GT-R I retired recently was, at Kenon, about 0.1s faster per no-rails lap and a nice 0.3s faster on the fast lap simply due to being lighter and smaller (height, width) than the Mosler. But it ONLY works at that one track, I struggled to find traction at Inside Line and RCX with the GT-R even on 80t power. :rolleyes:

Back before the Mosler came out the 360GTC was pretty dominant, so I'm curious what else can be done to the 360/430 bodies to make them faster. Seems like they've been relegated to 70t/80t racing nowadays when they definitely generate enough traction to do Mod.

geeunit1014
2011.11.14, 01:53 PM
It's also because the Mosler HAS to be modified before you can be competitive, meaning that as you're cutting into the body, you're tuning it to whatever handling characteristics you're looking for. And it has a LOT of plastic that can be left on or removed to do that tuning. My Mosler is slammed to the ground (you literally can't go any lower, you'll cut into the front clip) and is missing the rear bumper almost entirely; with the right choice of rear spoiler it is the most versatile body I have. As EMU said in another thread, it just works for about 90% of the tracks out there.

Sometimes I'll find a body for a specific track that just works, for example the GT-R I retired recently was, at Kenon, about 0.1s faster per lap and a nice 0.3s faster on the fast lap simply due to being lighter and smaller (height, width) than the Mosler. But it ONLY works at that one track, I struggled to find traction at Inside Line and RCX with the GT-R even on 80t power. :rolleyes:

Back before the Mosler came out the 360GTC was pretty dominant, so I'm curious what else can be done to the 360/430 bodies to make them faster. Seems like they've been relegated to 70t/80t racing nowadays when they definitely generate enough traction to do Mod.

From my experiences recently, the 360/430's are fast and the balance is good like you said, but because they are narrow width it makes the setup window super narrow when the bite gets high. The Mosler, being able to fit up to +3 wheels F/R really settles the car down and gives you some stability to work with. If you hit the nail on the head with a 360/430 its awesome, but off a hair either way and the car is a dump truck, or its really tippy.

You see the 360/430 more in stock as the speeds arent so fast and you can get away with more before getting tippy

blt456
2011.11.14, 08:40 PM
I agree with everyone that said the Mosler. I think the biggest downside is that you have to cut it a lot for race prep. It's strong (no cracking!), provides a lot of front grip, very stable and works really good at 94mm. This body with the PN Racing lexan rear wing is by far the best mod body I've used.

I've tried other bodies such as the 350z, lexus sc430, ferrari 599xx, but all of them do not come close to the stability that the Mosler has and the amount of front grip it produces.

unearthed name
2011.11.14, 09:06 PM
For me, the hsv is the body to go now. It's fast and nimble, good grip at the back and the front. However just like any super gt car, they're bad at handling wall collision. But we don't have to do a lot of prep works unlike the Mosler.

yasuji
2011.11.14, 09:36 PM
i agree that there is alot of prep work to do on the mosler body... 2-4 hrs to be exact.... how ever for me as the mosler /gtmod is my secondary class, and PANCAR MOD as my primary class, any gt mod body that i use be it the mosler 599 or hsv, i have to do ALOT of mods to make the body work near as good as the pancar:)

tudor_47
2011.11.15, 01:48 AM
Thanks alot guys!

Mosler is the best is what I get, but it needs modifications to be this great...

what is to be modified, cutting the rear?
I've cut out the holes in the rear on mine, anymore I should do?

blt456
2011.11.15, 07:31 PM
I do a lot more work...
1. Cut roof out
2. Trim 2mm of the bottom of the body (front bumper and sides) for clearance (allows me to run the body low)
3. Cut rear bumper out
4. Cut rear wheel well forward (only needed if running 94mm)
5. Cut windows out individually and glue them in (need to sand around the edges so the glue will stick)
6. Sand the inside of the body with rough sandpaper to drop a few extra grams
7. Mount pn racing rear wing :D

tudor_47
2011.11.16, 12:20 AM
I do a lot more work...
1. Cut roof out
2. Trim 2mm of the bottom of the body (front bumper and sides) for clearance (allows me to run the body low)
3. Cut rear bumper out
4. Cut rear wheel well forward (only needed if running 94mm)
5. Cut windows out individually and glue them in (need to sand around the edges so the glue will stick)
6. Sand the inside of the body with rough sandpaper to drop a few extra grams
7. Mount pn racing rear wing :D

WOW!,
now that is alot of work.... wouldn't point 5 cancel point 1?
gluing the windows individually is something I need to try.
Are you running GTmod with it or stock?

picture of finished body?

blt456
2011.11.16, 12:34 AM
WOW!,
now that is alot of work.... wouldn't point 5 cancel point 1?
gluing the windows individually is something I need to try.
Are you running GTmod with it or stock?

picture of finished body?

Nope, I cut the roof out so I can break the windows out easier. :)
I run GT mod with the mosler. I don't think this body would be that good for stock...I can honestly notice all of the modifications I've done. This body performs awesome when you do the correct prep for it. I have seen some people run this body w/o any modification and can clearly tell the difference. One thing I've noticed a lot of people don't do is shave the front bumper and the sides. My chassis has about 2mm of ride height f/r, but when I put the Mosler body on (out of the package), it dragged on the ground. I didn't want to raise the front and inner clips because that would place a lot of weight higher up on the car. I found that I had good clearance after shaving about 2mm front the lower part of the front bumper (make sure to cut it smooth and get rid of the lip) and the side skirts.

I have seen color01's mosler body in person and he cut his body even lower than mine.

EMU
2011.11.16, 01:04 AM
Depending on your racing conditions, you may actually want the body to be higher CG. For very low grip, or carpet, it generates more traction and corner speed, but for high traction, you want the car as low and light as you can get it.

I have one Mosler mounted relatively high (not cut on the bottom, and most of the other mods have not been done besides cutting the top of the window, shaving the bottom of the window after it is installed, and cutting out the rear). I plan on getting another Mosler for RCP use and lower it as much as I can and thin the entire body with sandpaper on the inside...

color01
2011.11.17, 06:05 PM
Yeah, on carpet it seemed extra weight and CG only made you faster -- my raised F430GT found a calling at your hands. :eek:

For high-grip RCP though, low is king:

The Mosler has about 4-5mm of plastic below the front clip holder that can potentially be cut away -- I removed it all, and mounted the body so low that the PN carbon front clip actually had to be reversed and mounted to the underside of the base (and the screw holes countersunk for ground clearance). :D The rear end can be similarly lowered, and nice 4-5mm worth, however the rear window starts getting in the way of a tri-shock setup, and then you need to decide how much you want to cut through the top of the body.

I haven't thinned out the body all that much except for in the rear, where I needed all the suspension clearance I could get. So it's still a bit of a porker at 36g, but I'll gradually shave it down to make the 175g minimum weight requirement.

Speaking of which, I weighed my street F430 last night; with all the decorations still only weighs about 33g, so when I fixed my scale and weighed the car last night it was only 175.6g total! Perfect. :)

schoeffe
2011.11.27, 02:00 PM
Yeah, on carpet it seemed extra weight and CG only made you faster -- my raised F430GT found a calling at your hands. :eek:

For high-grip RCP though, low is king:

The Mosler has about 4-5mm of plastic below the front clip holder that can potentially be cut away -- I removed it all, and mounted the body so low that the PN carbon front clip actually had to be reversed and mounted to the underside of the base (and the screw holes countersunk for ground clearance). :D The rear end can be similarly lowered, and nice 4-5mm worth, however the rear window starts getting in the way of a tri-shock setup, and then you need to decide how much you want to cut through the top of the body.

I haven't thinned out the body all that much except for in the rear, where I needed all the suspension clearance I could get. So it's still a bit of a porker at 36g, but I'll gradually shave it down to make the 175g minimum weight requirement.

Speaking of which, I weighed my street F430 last night; with all the decorations still only weighs about 33g, so when I fixed my scale and weighed the car last night it was only 175.6g total! Perfect. :)

Can you show us the body with pic.....to see all the modifications ?
thx

schoeffe

pomme de terre
2011.11.27, 05:55 PM
Top 3 guys at PNWC were all running Moslers weren't they?

color01
2011.11.27, 06:35 PM
Can you show us the body with pic.....to see all the modifications ?
thx

schoeffe
Sure thing -- I did all the main cutting before paint: the front bumper has been trimmed upwards 4-5mm, and slammed to the ground, then the rear was mounted and I cut the side skirts as level as I could. Rounded off any sharp corners on the bottom just in case.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/471/img0875re.jpg

The rear bumper was cut out as well, following most of the car's natural lines.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3971/img0872x.jpg

You can see how all four tires tuck -- definitely not the case on the stock Mosler.

And then after paint, there was a little more cutting and grinding to clear the rear tri-shock.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7329/1218542415m9wh7l.jpg

That's about all there is to it, this Mosler and the 599 are the two bodies I have the easiest time not traction rolling with, by virtue of slamming the front end way low.

lfisminiz
2011.11.27, 08:56 PM
Looks good, Brian.:)

tudor_47
2011.11.28, 07:20 AM
Sure thing -- I did all the main cutting before paint: the front bumper has been trimmed upwards 4-5mm, and slammed to the ground, then the rear was mounted and I cut the side skirts as level as I could. Rounded off any sharp corners on the bottom just in case.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/471/img0875re.jpg

The rear bumper was cut out as well, following most of the car's natural lines.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3971/img0872x.jpg

You can see how all four tires tuck -- definitely not the case on the stock Mosler.

And then after paint, there was a little more cutting and grinding to clear the rear tri-shock.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7329/1218542415m9wh7l.jpg

That's about all there is to it, this Mosler and the 599 are the two bodies I have the easiest time not traction rolling with, by virtue of slamming the front end way low.

Impressive cutting there!

I have a wider car (The Lajf Racing P28) so I can not go that far down in the front... Well maybe in the future? The P28 is always moving...
oh, are you using a Mr03 type front end or the 4link front end from PN?

Thanks for showing us your modifications.

schoeffe
2011.11.28, 02:14 PM
@ color1

thank you for let us see ur modifications......:-)

best regards from germany

schoeffe

yasuji
2011.11.28, 10:41 PM
i know nobody asked but i will post it anyways:p
as this is not the body i raced @ the PNWC it is cut exactly the same and this is with tires that r well used..from i day of testing ... today.... my ideal ride ht is alittle higher:)

schoeffe
2011.11.29, 05:29 PM
@ grant,

thanks for the pics......!

best regards from germany

schoeffe

lfisminiz
2011.11.29, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Grant. Looks good and your effort pays off.

color01
2011.11.30, 04:53 AM
Tudor,

The Mosler has plenty of room in the front for +3N offset, it's simply a matter of clearing the P28's front tower bar. ;) I am using the PN Racing double A-arm suspension at the moment, but I have swapped between the PN and Reflex front ends indiscriminately.

Grant -- your tires are soooo long gone, lol. Btw I'm starting to understand how to get more steering out of paper-thin tires like that, thank you for the initial tip and I'll bring a 98mm +2N/+3W to Kenon next time. :)

schoeffe
2011.11.30, 01:58 PM
@color01,
can you show us the inner side of the body, that i can understand how you dremel the body innerside?

my english is not so good.....

the germans:-)
schoeffe

color01
2011.11.30, 07:12 PM
I did not dremel the underside. ;)

lfisminiz
2011.11.30, 09:00 PM
Brian, thanks for your pics and advice too.:)

yasuji
2011.11.30, 09:12 PM
@color01,
can you show us the inner side of the body, that i can understand how you dremel the body innerside?

my english is not so good.....

the germans:-)
schoeffe
again .... i know u wernt asking me but i will post it anyways.....:p
this is the body i used for the usa nationals.... i built another one the same for the worlds

soimthatguy
2011.11.30, 10:18 PM
this is the body i used for the usa nationals.... i built another one the same for the worlds

now thats what you call a race body.

tudor_47
2011.12.01, 12:21 AM
Btw I'm starting to understand how to get more steering out of paper-thin tires like that, thank you for the initial tip and I'll bring a 98mm +2N/+3W to Kenon next time. :)

Please do not let this be your secret, we all could use more steering...

I'll get trimming on the Mosler... to get it down on the ground.

tudor_47
2011.12.01, 12:25 AM

you must be best friends with your dremel.....
I know you seldom have crashes but does it survive a crash? it looks paper thin.
What glue do you use for the windows?

tudor_47
2012.01.10, 01:07 PM
Ok,
had a go at my Mosler body tonight and I did shave of a few mm at the bottom bringing it all closer to the ground. Had to reshape the front wheel arches a bit to make rom for the wheels. I am running a P28V2 under the body so space is tight. Weight came down to 34 grams without the reflex racing wing waiting to be mounted.

color01
2012.01.10, 01:57 PM
Sounds good! Did you shave the underside of the front end too? I decided to do that one day and less than 5 hours later it cracked all the way through the front bumper to the hood. :(

So currently I've replaced the Mosler with the GT-R GT500 and it's a little bit looser/more steering at the expense of less stability -- I figure a little lead tape in the rear bumper will resolve that issue and then I just have to figure out how to extend the front fenders a bit so I can run +3N front wheels. :)

yasuji
2012.01.10, 02:49 PM
Sounds good! Did you shave the underside of the front end too? I decided to do that one day and less than 5 hours later it cracked all the way through the front bumper to the hood. :(

So currently I've replaced the Mosler with the GT-R GT500 and it's a little bit looser/more steering at the expense of less stability -- I figure a little lead tape in the rear bumper will resolve that issue and then I just have to figure out how to extend the front fenders a bit so I can run +3N front wheels. :)

Been there done that....lmk brian and I can give u th:De solution

tudor_47
2012.01.10, 03:02 PM

I have not thinned the plastic anywhere... well not purposly..
I shaved of all the way upto and including some of the front body holder...
It will ofcoource make the body more delicate and prone to cracking.
PIctures
0066 front of the car, you can see how much is removed from bottom of body
0065 inside of body.... Note that the original windows are almost intact