PDA

View Full Version : lets spend some money!

jeninjohnk
2011.11.14, 11:31 AM
ordered a new mr02 ex mm. and its christmas time. i am already getting the "what do you wan t for christmas" question. so i thought i would shoot it out here and see what pops! i already have the pn mr2500,2501,2502 set-up on the list. what about the pn toe bar? i'm running on a rcp track. what about the back end- ball diff,motor mount,disk dampers, etc. i going to run a stock motor. just want to see what the experienced guys would buy if they could do it again! thanks john

cowboysir
2011.11.14, 11:44 AM
If I could do it again I'd leave my car stock and drive as is...too many of my own errors as a driver might have been avoided if i had driven a stock car first and then slowly upgraded.

That being said, there have been many fine advances in the MR02 by PN and Reflex Racing...I'd read up on characteristics of their hopups before buying.:D

jeninjohnk
2011.11.14, 12:14 PM
sounds reasonable to me. i'm not in a hurry to do hop-ups. i usually at a loss when it come to "christmas" list stuff. so this year i thought throw some stuff at them and see what they come up with.:D

nikitzo
2011.11.15, 07:21 AM
For me:
1. Bearings
2. Tyre - more is better
3. Ball bearing differential
4. Motor mount
5. T-plates
6. DPS
7. Different springs

color01
2011.11.15, 08:03 AM
And if I was running the stock motor, I would only choose five items (listed by priority):

1. Tires
2. Bearings
3. DPS (disk damper)
4. T-plate
5. Quality kingpins

Stock motor power doesn't stress the chassis enough that you really need anything more than the first four upgrades -- the kingpins add more refinement to your ride but you definitely don't NEED them to have a well-behaved car. Tires and bearings should be bought on principle (precision and traction feels nice), and the DPS and T-plate ensure the rear end hooks up just enough so you can enjoy responsive handling without rear end drift or chatter.

Since it's the soft MR02EX chassis, you may eventually break the front tower arms, after which point it would be smart to invest in a tower bar with positive caster. The PN ones work great. If you plan to use more powerful motors after that (70t or lower) then you might want to consider more advanced front end setups, including the PN MR02 Double A Arm or the Reflex WTF2. But all of these goodies only go on the car AFTER you've mastered a more stock-ish setup with a low-power motor.

jeninjohnk
2011.11.15, 08:29 PM
thanks for ur inputs!:D

LED
2011.11.16, 10:32 AM
I wouldnt order to much for tha car as long as you havent drivin it yet.
If you are new to the hobby maybe better to get some materials you dont have yet.
- charger
- discharger
- batteries. Always usable
- a pitbox
- working tools
- transponder if you need one
- bodys you want to try

mleemor60
2011.11.16, 10:46 AM
Do not skimp on tools. Purchase only the best. You would be surprised at the damage you can do on these cars with tools that do not properly fit screw heads and hex heads.

jeninjohnk
2011.11.16, 07:40 PM
any suggestion on tool kits? i did alittle research on chargers was looking at the c9000. and maybe some tire recomendations we re running on a rcp track. thanks john

mleemor60
2011.11.16, 07:49 PM
Anything from Hudy will do nicely or Wiiha. If by c9000 you mean the LaCrosse units you will be very happy with the quality and simplicity of use. You should likely get a couple. They come with both a set of AA and AAA batteries that will do nicely for some time.

For tires I would recommend Kyosho 17-20 rears and 2-30 fronts. For out of the ordinary conditions there are options but generally these will work as good or better than anything else out there.

jeninjohnk
2011.11.17, 01:57 PM
I thought the c9000 was made by MAHA? I got to check that. Thanks for the help! John

Skv012a
2011.12.02, 01:01 AM
If I could do it again I'd leave my car stock and drive as is...too many of my own errors as a driver might have been avoided if i had driven a stock car first and then slowly upgraded.

That being said, there have been many fine advances in the MR02 by PN and Reflex Racing...I'd read up on characteristics of their hopups before buying.:D

I'll definitely agree there. I'm following that school with my 03, getting only the bare minimum I already know I need/won't hurt. Essentially any part that can be knocked out of commission in a race- knuckles, tie rod (not on the 03 though, they made these out of very nice, more flexy plastic), maybe even the front tower/brace. Everything else is usually just fine stock.

Else, I still want to properly re-setup my 02 to be a worthy contender sometime. Perhaps into something different from my 03/AWD in its essence.

Charger wise, there's a Maha that has 8 slots. Comes in 2 models, and they more "advanced" out pretty much charges at 7-800mAh for AAA and like 1-1.5Ah for AAs. A quick and still safe hour charge for 2 sets at a time and no settings to tinker with. Very, very good beginner/bulk charger.

soimthatguy
2011.12.02, 12:16 PM

speaks the truth. No point getting mods if you dont know what it improves