PDA

View Full Version : Beginner mods for Ma-010

Simmo
2011.11.14, 10:39 PM
Hey guys,

So I purchased a ma-010 & was wondering what basic mods I can't do to make it faster.

What tires to use for grip (using drift ATM)?
What engine I can upgrade to?
Are there any suspension upgrades or tips to make it smoother like Vaseline?
How many different shells fit the ma-010?

Thanx peeps. Simmo

thestug
2011.11.15, 11:24 AM
As far as engines are concerned I would recommend the x-speed motor by kyosho. It is a huge upgrade from stock and you don't need to upgrade FET's.

For suspension I would recommend PN racing springs and 3racing aluminum knuckles. I recommend 3racing because they are cheap and pretty good quality. There are better knuckles out there, but the tend to be at least 2x the price. Aluminum knuckles are much more consistent because they eliminate the stiction that you get with the plastic knuckles.

Do not use vaseline for damping. Vaseline tends to make plastic brittle. I would recommend not using anything for damping unless you race on RCP tracks. If you must use something use a damping grease specifically made for mini-z.

I'm not exactly sure how many bodies. I do know you can fit almost anything. If you get a 98mm body you will need to buy a chassis extension and longer gears. Some bodies need a crystal adaptor, but if you have 2.4 you dont need to worry about this. If you have a certain body in mind just ask if it will fit. Someone will answer it.

To recommend you tires I will need to know what surface you race on.

Hope this helped.

Simmo
2011.11.15, 05:58 PM
Thanks, yeah helped out a lot! I've bought a set of 3racing alloy knuckles with 0 degrees & alloy universal control arms because one of my stock plastic ones keeps popping out from small knocks. I'll mainly be racing on tiles at home and smooth concrete. When buying alloy wheels do I need to take into concideration they offset or will all alloy wheels fit all mini-z's?

thestug
2011.11.15, 06:58 PM
Thanks, yeah helped out a lot! I've bought a set of 3racing alloy knuckles with 0 degrees & alloy universal control arms because one of my stock plastic ones keeps popping out from small knocks. I'll mainly be racing on tiles at home and smooth concrete. When buying alloy wheels do I need to take into concideration they offset or will all alloy wheels fit all mini-z's?

I like lots of different tires on tile. i like the awd to slide. I don't grip much so I can't really say. I have tried some GPM tires that are decent, but I'm sure someone could recommend some better ones.

When buying new wheels of any kind always make sure you have the right offset for the body. Also you need to make sure the rims are made for the AWD. The AWD rims have a different hub design than all the rest. Alloy wheels are not really necessary IMO, but they do look awesome if you have the money to spent it on. If I were a beginner and starting all over I would make sure to buy some decent CV joints for the car. The stock ones are plastic and metal combo and tend to break at the metal/plastic joint. Get some aluminum or titanium ones.

Skv012a
2011.12.02, 11:18 AM
3racing universal shafts for sure, true bang for buck.

I'd suggest a ball diff of some sort solely because gear diffs do break eventually/with hotter motors.

Maybe aluminum linkage and tie rods, just to proof the suspension in general.

Alloy wheels can help you lower CG at the perfect places, so if you end up flipping more than you want, consider getting a set with offsets that work. If your MA didn't come with the plastic multi-offset kit, get one just to get an idea how each wheel offset looks and feels.