PDA

View Full Version : Atomic ball diff any good?

Tinytacohead
2011.11.17, 05:04 PM
Is Atomic's ball diff any good? I recently saw them for $20 a pop & price is a major issue @ the moment due to hitting a deer in one of my real cars, heh. I don't really race, though don't wanna buy junk in the chance that I get into it a little in the future. If there are other, economically priced ball diffs out there I'm open to suggestions as well.. (I've been fairly out of the loop again lately, in terms of RC stuff :o) I've also been wondering whether it'd be better to put one in the front or rear first, until able to get both? (read a little on the topic awhile back but can't seem to find info on it atm) I'm guessing rear, so I'd stop losing forward momentum anytime a rear wheel comes up.. As always, thanks in advance! :)

xmodcanuck
2011.11.19, 07:20 PM
If you're talking AWD TAR diffs, then yes they are generally considered to be 2nd best only to kyosho ball diffs. But for less than half the price. For $20, give them a spin.

thestug
2011.11.19, 08:41 PM
If you are talking about the black plastic ones they are also pretty good for the price. They perform great with some ceramic balls and sanding the plates flat. I ran with one for a while in the rear. It worked quite well when paired with a front gear that had grease in it.

Tinytacohead
2011.11.20, 04:56 PM
Cool, thanks for the info guys.. and for some reason it never crossed my mind to grease up the stockers - DOH!! :o I suppose I'll do that first, new one out back & sludge up the front. :)

Atomic-USA
2011.11.24, 08:20 PM
Unlike the Kyosho AWD Ball diff the Atomic Ball Diff's outdrives will last many times longer. Adjustment is also easier without taking parts off the car.

Tinytacohead
2011.11.24, 09:41 PM
Unlike the Kyosho AWD Ball diff...

Good to know, thanks. (and yes, I was referring to the AWD TAR)

J-Milz
2011.11.24, 10:25 PM
Will these diffs fit on the new buggy?

Tinytacohead
2011.12.06, 11:13 AM
Will these diffs fit on the new buggy?

Sorry, I've got no idea. Can anybody comment on Atomic's TAR vs. 3Racing's cheap ball diff (http://www.thetoyz.com/Kyosho/MINI-Z/Gears-Covers/3racing/8524/#) though?? For that price I could pick up two @ once and almost feel good about it. :o :p

Tinytacohead
2011.12.11, 12:17 PM
No comment on the plastic 3Racing diff vs. Atomic's TAR?

EMU
2011.12.11, 01:36 PM
The ATM TAR diff is considerably better quality than the 3Racing diff. The TAR diff uses machined spurs, the 3Racing uses molded. This makes a huge difference in trueness of the spur, which means a better gearmesh and diffential action.

Tinytacohead
2011.12.11, 01:38 PM
The ATM TAR diff is considerably better quality than the 3Racing diff...

Ahh Ok, thx!

EMU
2011.12.11, 01:54 PM
Its not that the quality of 3Racing is poor, just that they use molded spurs compared to machined.

Tinytacohead
2011.12.11, 02:02 PM
Its not that the quality of 3Racing is poor...

Do you know if there're aluminum outdrives available for the TAR?

EMU
2011.12.11, 04:48 PM
I havent seen any, but I prefer plastic/delrin outdrives, as they wear much less than aluminum. This is the biggest downfall with the Kyosho diffs, since they wear quite rapidly with alu swingshafts in place.

Tinytacohead
2011.12.11, 09:52 PM
I havent seen any, but I prefer plastic/delrin outdrives, as they wear much less than aluminum...

Ahh cool, also good to know. :)