PDA

View Full Version : Newb From Honduras! few ?

Kenrico
2011.12.12, 06:02 PM
Hey guys, well as the tittle says I'm a total newbie to the MiniZ scene. there is no MiniZ racers or club where i Live so i'm being a first with these and looking on building my own track from RCP and trying to convince some of my Rc flying buddies to join a race.
so here is my back ground on MiniZ: NONE! I have never raced one before or even seen one until a few day ago when i got my first one, MR03 with Porsche 911 body?chassis set, bought this off ebay from Cruzing RC, also got a Kt18.
So i have been reading about these for about the last month or so and really love the one i got. I been trying to understand the basics like. motor positions, wheel base, wide and narrow, so i was wondering if you guys could help me out a little more info for example I've figured out my MiniZ is Narrow Rear Mount and 90mm, so here is a couple questions.
can this be changed to MM and ramain 90mm for the body.?
if i change it to MM using the parts supplied in the box what wheel base would it be ?
how about other bodies that would fit this same configuration? i've looked at the bodies but on the websites it doesn't say what are the dimensions like wheel base, I also found the charts but they do not include the new mr03 bodies i see.
I really appreciate your help
and as you've guessed i have a lot more question but ill keep on asking along as the thread builds.

THanks guys!:)

Kenric.

cowboysir
2011.12.12, 07:34 PM
welcome to the world of micro-rc!:)

1. You cannot make a 90mm MM with the parts provided but it can be done with a few parts that are easily purchased. If you decide to go that route you'll find listings for 90mm midmount motor pods on many e-tailer sites for Z gear.

2. if you change it to MM with the parts provided it would be 98mm (or bigger) wheelbase.

3. There is a thread around here that shows wheelbase compatibility for most bodies. If you happen to be shopping the box the body comes in will most likely say "RM" or "MM" on th outside and "Narrow" or "Wide"...most RM's are either 90 or 94mm wheelbase and most MM described bodies will be 98mm wheelbase.

Skv012a
2011.12.12, 07:50 PM
I'd personally recommend Atomic's most recent 90mm MM mount and damper disk system (I think they sell them separately). That will let you go between 3 most common car lengths with just 1 mount (well, to get to 98, you'd have to tweak the damper plate a little, but It may not be a horribly tedious procedure) and keep most rear-end things nice and simple.

Other than that, my only advice is to buy upgrades per need bases. When you know you want to change a certain stock part, get the aftermarket one.

Kenrico
2011.12.12, 07:59 PM
Thanks! Cowboy, like I said I trying to gather as much info possible, like I said there is no club or hobby shop around here so everything has to be purchased over the Internet so that makes it a little more dificult as the the web pages doesn't show the box or dimentioms of the body, the chasis I got already came with the RM installed and the Manual demonstrates how to change from MM to RM but not RM to MM so I'm guessing the parts provided should be the ones to configure it to MM. As for tracks I'm thinking on starting with two wide Ls to start messing around with the next step would be to invest in a Lap counting system.
Thanks again please keep the tips coming!

Kenric.

Kenrico
2011.12.12, 08:08 PM
I'd personally recommend Atomic's most recent 90mm MM mount and damper disk system (I think they sell them separately). That will let you go between 3 most common car lengths with just 1 mount (well, to get to 98, you'd have to tweak the damper plate a little, but It may not be a horribly tedious procedure) and keep most rear-end things nice and simple.

Other than that, my only advice is to buy upgrades per need bases. When you know you want to change a certain stock part, get the aftermarket one.

Hey Skv012, thanks for the reply, I think for now I'll try to start off as stock as possible just with tires and bearings, until I get some reall driving experience that way when I start upgrading I'll be able to notice what change affect the diferent upgrades have one the car.
Damn! I only wish I lived somewhere close where you guys race! I know it's going to be hard to get members but I'll still give it a try. I've always wanted to race rc cars but never had a club o people willing to form one around. I've been flying rc planes since 2004 and for the last year been flying turbine jets, so I would say I'm an rc junkie!:D:D:D

Skv012a
2011.12.12, 08:37 PM
Very cool! Planes are probably something I'll never get around to...

But yea, good plan. Its personally hard for me to stay stock because I like upgrading as a process itself, and with all the parts available, its hard to resist lol.

Once you figure out your tires, everything will show itself pretty clearly. Front springs depending on how it corners, rear suspension if its not smooth or doesn't act like you'd want it to, etc.

Kenrico
2011.12.12, 09:40 PM
I know what you mean about the modding, its hard to resist, but instead of major modds I'll try to get the track, after I have the track then I'll think about getting another chassis for mods and leave this one for stock racing.
Btw have any of you guys ordered an Rcp track lately? Where would be the best place direct with Rcp or via a hobby shop.?

herman
2011.12.12, 10:45 PM
greetings and welcome to the forums kenrico...

the mr03 platform is quite versatile... with the proper motor mount and rim offsets, it's a one chassis fits all bodies kinda thing...

try checking out the link below to see what bodies use a particular chassis setting
take note that
the mr015 bodies pertain to a N front setting for the mr03 while
the mr02 bodies pertain to a W front setting for the mr03

mini-z guide (http://mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm)

since you are starting out, i would suggest keeping mods/option parts to the bare minimum... you will be tempted to buy this and that (it will get very expensive that way), but if there's nobody to race against, what's the point... and that's why most of my cars remain stock, with some exceptions (tires, bearings, and probably a spare carbon fiber t plate)

i can certainly relate to you... i've been in the hobby for quite some time... and until now there is no commercial track over here...

if you plan on getting an rcp modular track, try to calculate how much it will cost to ship.
otherwise it might be cheaper to do a do-it-yourself type of track...

hope this helps and goodluck :D

Kenrico
2011.12.12, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the Info Herman,
same Idea i have about the upgrades, once i have the track and Lap Counting system ill probably do some upgrades, but for now or for when i get the track it would just be tires and bearings and some experimenting with Bodies/Wheelbase to see what i like most. I might be racing against me self for a while anyway.
as for track I'm thinking on starting with 2 Wide Ls from RCP and use one the HFAY layouts.
what do you guys recommend for Lap counting systems?
i found this one is there any other ones out there better, cheap, more expensive etc?

THanks!

Skv012a
2011.12.12, 11:05 PM
Also, quite a few narrow (MR-015) bodies WILL fit a wide front end on the 03. The issue in the old days wasn't the front end, but the fact that 02 battery tray was too wide for some bodies. For instance, I run my 240Z body on a wide front end to help keep body roll to a minimum.

herman
2011.12.13, 03:20 AM
well there are some issues using a narrow body mr015 body on an mr02 chassis as well... if you didn't use the right offset rims up front, they would be sticking out the front fender...

like what i did way back... in 2003? (man i feel old) to my porsche taisan viper (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10618) click to see thread
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8057&d=1068438346
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8060&d=1068438718

although it dosen't seem to show, the rims stuck out of the body a couple of millimeters.
probably using the right offset would remedy this...

however not all narrow bodies will fit well on a wide track width mr02...

end of it is that some mr015 bodies will and somebodies will not fit an mr02 chassis...

i guess that's why kyosho came out with the mr03... so that all bodies will fit on the chassis... :D

herman
2011.12.13, 03:26 AM
try doing a search on lapcounters.... i believe that there's a whole thread on lapcounters...
there are quite a number of lapcounters out there... try to find one that is cost effective and will meet your needs...

good luck

Kenrico
2011.12.13, 11:30 PM
Thanks Guys, I think im going to send RCP tracks and email direct. getting a track if definitely the next move.
BTW i forgot to ask about batteries, Ive seen some pics where people are charging a ton load a bats at the same time. I would like something that plug n play charger, probably charging 10 or so cells at a time. any suggestions

chad508
2011.12.13, 11:51 PM
check this one out (http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=422)

its one that i use and is the best bang for your buck

Kenrico
2011.12.19, 11:18 PM
Hey guys,
I have another question for you all, like i said in my first post my chassis is RM, thats the way it came in the box, but i was looking at the parts that was included in the body-chassis kit and i didnt get any components to covert it from RM to MM, as to what i understand and see on the box and instructions both RM and MM is included, is this true? Did i get an incomplete kit?
Thanks!

herman
2011.12.20, 02:17 AM
if you got the chassis kit (no body)... it would have included the rm and mm motor mount parts...

if you got a body with it (ready set), i believe it would only include the motor mount that would fit the body it was packaged with...

hope this helps :D

bermbuster
2011.12.20, 06:24 AM
if you got the chassis kit (no body)... it would have included the rm and mm motor mount parts...

if you got a body with it (ready set), i believe it would only include the motor mount that would fit the body it was packaged with...

hope this helps :D

Herman is right. Now the next thing is stock from Kyosho rm chassis are from 86-94 millimeters (wheelbase) Now a stock Kyosho mm is 98 millimeter (wheelbase) Your body is not a 98 millimeter body. I never tried to mix and match the plastic Kyosho components to make a shorter than 98mm wheelbase. In order to get a shorter wheelbase chassis you may need aftermarket parts to do this. T plate, motor pod, damper, shock.

nssjshp
2012.07.11, 01:34 AM
The car it's a toy...I thought here are the real racers...