PDA

View Full Version : Major frustration with friends MR02 steering assembly

BrandonGR
2011.12.13, 02:02 PM
He has a MR-02 ASF 2.4ghz that neither of us can get working properly. He had the board fetted but now when we try to install the board the steering is giving us an incredible amount of trouble. We center the pot and steering rack, mount it up, put the motor into the assembly into the mount and press it into the chassis. Every time we turn it on the steering jerks one way to the left or right and won't center at all. The transmitter is centered. We changed pots first, and that seemed to help but the steering still won't center. Then we changed the wires, steering motor, steering box, steering gears. Basically everything that we could to get this thing to center without binding. We can't even center the installation without the motor jerking and screwing everything up. Can anyone offer help?

byebye
2011.12.13, 03:28 PM
You could have it wired backwards. Also there is a small shim that goes between a couple of the servo gears. If that is not in place it won't center.

Kris

imxlr8ed
2011.12.13, 03:40 PM
Here's a pic of an ASF ESC... note the wire colors and positions:

http://www.etamiya.com/shop/images/new/30510SP/30510SP_1.jpg

Does sound like crossed wires to me as well.

As for the potentiometer... if the wires are on top, and the gear side is facing you, the white wire is at the center, orange wire is at 1 o'clock, green wire is at 11 o'clock.

Should be right then... hopefully!

BrandonGR
2011.12.13, 03:50 PM
i tried wiring it backwards but ill give it another guy

NoBrainer
2011.12.13, 04:00 PM
Also there is a small shim that goes between a couple of the servo gears. If that is not in place it won't center.

Been there done that!

And it was a pain in the a** finding that error....

BrandonGR
2011.12.13, 04:26 PM
I don't have any shims at all, is there any place to get these? I'm still not sure this is the problem.

Skv012a
2011.12.13, 06:25 PM
Shims sound interesting... I don't personally recall ever noticing any and I've rebuilt 015/02 plenty.

BrandonGR
2011.12.13, 10:08 PM
We spent about 8 or 9 hours total troubleshooting this thing over the span of a few days. It turns out the wiring on my car's actual pot, was different than the ones we were using. This car was wired the same as mine and as soon as the wires were reversed the issues went away. Thank you all.

herman
2011.12.13, 11:39 PM
glad to hear you got it fixed...

actually the shim bye bye was talking about is actually a very very small washer that spaces out the servo gears...

click here for kyosho manual (http://kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/miniz_02_m.pdf)

it's on page 24 and marked part no mz8-3 in between the servo gear group (mz8-1)

would really hate to loose that part... i've read somewhere that you can fabricate that small washer by finding a small tube (i.e. ball point ink refills of the same size/diameter) and cutting out a washer...

soimthatguy
2011.12.13, 11:40 PM
I don't have any shims at all, is there any place to get these? I'm still not sure this is the problem.

its a very very very small gold washer that goes in between the servo gears. very important.

herman
2011.12.13, 11:41 PM
i've also read about doing a double reset then a re-bind might do the trick...

BrandonGR
2011.12.14, 02:40 AM
glad to hear you got it fixed...

actually the shim bye bye was talking about is actually a very very small washer that spaces out the servo gears...

click here for kyosho manual (http://kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/miniz_02_m.pdf)

it's on page 24 and marked part no mz8-3 in between the servo gear group (mz8-1)

would really hate to loose that part... i've read somewhere that you can fabricate that small washer by finding a small tube (i.e. ball point ink refills of the same size/diameter) and cutting out a washer...

thanks for the tip about the pen. im usually pretty resourceful but i didn't think about that. i do have a few laying around so i'll see what works.

i had 2 or 3 of those little shims some where but they managed to get loose after i replaced the steering gears on my car. talk about a hard to find part.

Skv012a
2011.12.14, 05:57 PM
I think whenever I changed things around, I didn't really disassemble the whole thing and thus never noticed the shim.