PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my first Mini-Z today...

MiniPunch
2011.12.15, 10:07 PM
...and all I can say is WOW. These things are seriously cool.

I had a few RC cars when I was growing up (back in the 80's), but I haven't been into the hobby since then. However, I'm getting the itch again and the Mini-Z sparked my interest because they are ultra detailed and I can use them indoors. Plus, they seem like they are infinitely mod-able. So I decided to pick up an MA-010 AWD and see what happens...

After one day with this thing, I am seriously hooked - and I'm already planning a looooong list of upgrades. :D

twinkie
2011.12.15, 11:54 PM
nice and clean looking... been so busy I have not had time to build my AWD. I still gotta a board for it though.

imxlr8ed
2011.12.16, 08:43 AM
...and all I can say is WOW. These things are seriously cool.

I had a few RC cars when I was growing up (back in the 80's), but I haven't been into the hobby since then. However, I'm getting the itch again and the Mini-Z sparked my interest because they are ultra detailed and I can use them indoors. Plus, they seem like they are infinitely mod-able. So I decided to pick up an MA-010 AWD and see what happens...

After one day with this thing, I am seriously hooked - and I'm already planning a looooong list of upgrades. :D

Wow... flashbacks here and I'm sure that's the way it went for others on this site as well!

And you're in Cali which has a real good Z following out there... I'd be planning some road trips to the closest tracks, it will speed your education on these cars exponentially!

Welcome to the addiction!

color01
2011.12.16, 01:31 PM
San Diego, huh? The closest Mini-Z hub to you will be in the Irvine area -- Kyosho's Lake Forest R241 Raceway is a carpet track perfect for your MA-010. They open every Sunday I believe, and the Kyosho staff are very willing to help you learn your way around the car. :)

Welcome to the hobby!

imxlr8ed
2011.12.16, 04:01 PM
Seems to be a few on here a while back looking for clubs or tracks from your area... not sure how many of those are still with the Zs though. might be worth PMing some of them though. Just do a search on "San Diego" and you'll find a bunch of threads.

MiniPunch
2011.12.17, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I'm definitely going to check out the action up in Irvine. I'm not sure I'm all that interested in racing though...we'll see.

Skv012a
2011.12.17, 02:47 AM
MA, really only need a handful to make it work fairly well and you won't break you bank:
3racing driveshafts
3racing knuckles
3racing tie rods (rear too for safe measure)
PN MR-02 low-down springs
Any ball bearing set
And good ball diffs, many choices here, but of the better ones are probably Atomic or Kyosho ones.

Past that, maybe a set of drift tires and multi-offset kit to be able to set any stance you want.

MiniPunch
2011.12.17, 12:32 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah, I think it's going to be a lot of trial and error to see what works and what doesn't. I'll keep it mostly stock for now (just to get a sense of what it can do), then modify it according to my driving style.

This is a great forum, btw. Lots of great info!!

nssjshp
2012.07.13, 06:52 AM
Wow, Fantastic !!

I am loving this forum, its pretty cool

arch2b
2012.07.13, 07:32 AM
very similar story to many of here actually! only i got back into it in 2000. welcome to the site and community :)

like you and dare i say 80%+ more of the community, i got into it for the scale looks, ability to mod and tinker and the love of automotive things. was never a big RC fanatic but couldn't pass on an RC car that was so detailed and so tune-able. it was years before i ever hit a race track and maybe 5+ years before actually racing. don't fall into the pressure to race. it's a great component of the community here but you don't need to race to enjoy these. some of my best years in creativity, etc. were during the years i just tooled around the parking lot and tinkered with the car, bodies, custom bits, etc. with racing comes the fun of camaraderie and competition but that also brings it's own bag or pressures and stress too. move at your own pace and enjoy it! the stores and people and our community here will be there if you need info, assistance, etc. highly recommend reading up on whatever your interested in before expending cash, especially in these times.