PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Gimbaled motor mount.

ReapeR_Mr03
2012.01.03, 12:45 PM
Hey everyone i need a little help with my gimbaled motor mount setup.
i keep getting traction issues. i run on rcp track in a 70t stock class.

on the more tighter turns like, 180 degree and narrow 90 degree turns at just about any speed, the rear end will loose grip and spin right out. i try to be slower going in the turns and faster going out and also not jam on the throttle but even still the car will loose rear grip.

i new when buying this setup the it will take some time to get tuned in. iv been spending all my time now trying to get the car dialed in at club events i rarely get to race now.
i have at the very least 15 hours on this setup with little success.

some of my car specs.
mr-03

motor PN 70t

kyosho 30 slicks frount
pn 6 radial rear

i have the pn side springs and 2 sets of the pn center springs.
center shock has yellow center shock spring.
side shocks have 2 green center shock springs.
that whats on there at the moment but iv tried a good amount of combinations so far.

i run one damper disc on top with a green damper spring and ruby lube on it
ruby lube on the side shocks
jade jizz on the center shock

gearing is 53/12

my body is a lambo murcielago, my off set is. 0 front , +3 rear

if you guys need any more info let me know.

i run on 2 track sizes, either 2 wide L hfay layout or a large layout that uses about 5 to 6 wide L's roughly.

Thanks.

LED
2012.01.03, 03:21 PM
Yet another victim og PN's worsed product.
Stop trying, the motor mount doesnt work like it should. There is to much slop in it. I have a thread here somewhere fixing most slop, but even then I couldnt get this mount to work good enough to keep. Use a motor mount with a very soft T-plate instead. You will notice the difference immediatly.

Good luck

ChiMiniRc
2012.01.03, 03:42 PM
I know at the Berkeley club, Craig went with the qteq t-plate mount instead of the gimbaled mount.

Does that remove the slop that you think is causing the problems?

ReapeR_Mr03
2012.01.03, 08:06 PM
well thats no good, i really dont want to ditch the mount. it was a decent investment as you all know.
ill give it another try at the next event and if i still cant get it tuned in i guess ill go back to the t plate and grab another mount.

yasuji
2012.01.03, 08:43 PM
well thats no good, i really dont want to ditch the mount. it was a decent investment as you all know.
ill give it another try at the next event and if i still cant get it tuned in i guess ill go back to the t plate and grab another mount.

for me personally i used this system for well over a year ! the gimbaled motor mount is the best mount on the planet! and by far the fastest... but for modified racing it is a very high maintanance setup as u must try to acheve minimal friction as well as minimal slop... which is its only flaw!
to use this system you need to have the vision to be able to identify the flaw and be able to adjust it:p
i see most drivers want to eliminate the dds system and use various thickness of grease and ultra stiff springs on the side shocks... for me i find that the dds is more consistent!
also most drivers think that a progressive spring rate is better than a more linear rate... i prefer the more linear
so here is what i do!
for the top shock the yellow spring is fine i normaly ran the green for alittle more initial pivot on throttle
on the side shocks i ran the blue springs with lotsa preload.... basically
if u twist the motor pod to the rt and the dds post hits the dds plate the left
sideshock spring will just come to coilbind! and vice versa
that is the basics... the installed spring rate will be more than you currently have and will help to stabilize the rear system
on the dds i used both for a while then i moved to just the top with grn spring nad kyosho 200 slicone oil
now that you have a baseline you will be able to adjust steering tweakby simply adjusting the preload on either side shock:D
hope this helps!

ChiMiniRc
2012.01.03, 09:24 PM
for me i find that the dds is more consistent!
also most drivers think that a progressive spring rate is better than a more linear rate... i prefer the more linear
so here is what i do! for the top shock the yellow spring is fine i normaly ran the green for alittle more initial pivot on throttle
on the side shocks i ran the blue springs with lotsa preload.... basically
if u twist the motor pod to the rt and the dds post hits the dds plate the left
sideshock spring will just come to coilbind! and vice versa
that is the basics... the installed spring rate will be more than you currently have and will help to stabilize the rear system
on the dds i used both for a while then i moved to just the top with grn spring nad kyosho 200 slicone oil
now that you have a baseline you will be able to adjust steering tweakby simply adjusting the preload on either side shock:D
hope this helps!

Can you take a few pictures to illustrate the setup?

yasuji
2012.01.03, 09:46 PM
Can you take a few pictures to illustrate the setup?

this pic is from my 03 that i raced @ rcx.... i used a tplate on this car as it was before the gombla was made for the 03 but it is the same settings from my o2 gimbal set up... u can tell by the proto shocks

jmarino
2012.01.29, 12:58 PM
this pic is from my 03 that i raced @ rcx.... i used a tplate on this car as it was before the gombla was made for the 03 but it is the same settings from my o2 gimbal set up... u can tell by the proto shocks
I just put the gimbaled motor mount combined with the new gear diff on my 03 and absolutely love it's performance thus far. The rear of that car is so responsive and predictable and has improved my cornering drastically. However, alot of drivers at my local track have voiced the concern of wear. How often do you replace the T-mount? I've heard that it wears, causing the need for grease packing, and eventually replacement. Is there any recommended maintenance to slow this process?