PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Challenge Class

monkeyZ
2012.01.04, 05:54 AM
We are going to run a new Subaru Challenge Class!

The idea here is to race nearly identical tire and motor setups.

Specs for cars are basically as follows:

70T motor
k40 slick fronts (mzw2-40)
K30 slick rears (mzw2-30)
Must use wheels that came with the body (or the same offsets in another plastic wheel set)
only stock toe in and caster is allowed (0/0 I think!)
Also, DWS won't be allowed.
Any combination of diffs is allowed
Must use this body or white body version (Subaru Sale Body (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18893&cat=0&page=1))

We will do a trial run at this Saturday's gtg!

Any questions just ask!

YoYo-Pete
2012.01.04, 09:36 AM
I'm going to get some Hobby Paint or something from Ryder's tonight.... Post if you want anything special. Leaving around 4:30pm.

MRDAVT
2012.01.04, 02:31 PM
No longer I have standard rear suspension and related parts for AWD and I do not want to buy it again so that I disagree not to be allowed to use DWS.
Also other than Subaru bodies are expected to be allowed to use, but wheel base and wheel offset restriction will be OK, i.e. short w/b only, maximum +0.5 offset, etc...
How about Kyosho stock motor instead of PN 70T?

Deca
2012.01.05, 10:46 AM
Yeah I'd kind of prefer stock motor as well...I know everyone has at least one stock, I don't really want to have to spend too much for this, Holiday season was hard on my wallet :x

monkeyZ
2012.01.06, 04:42 PM
Kyosho Stock motors are fine. Actually would prefer if everyone used Kyosho stock. I must have been wrong thinking they were 70T.

Body must be Subaru for this class.

Okabe - I know you have dws, you are going to beat us all anyway so I think it's ok for you not to switch.

We are also thinking of making everyone use the same gearing!

mini-z
2012.01.08, 02:40 PM
only stock toe in and caster is allowed (0/0 I think!)

After last night, I'm thinking let's strike this one - I think I'm running 1d Atomic Mini-Z MA-010 Alloy Steering Knuckle II (I say I think, since I've not really changed the setup of this car in years, until the body swap etc. for this class!) but the only reason I haven't gone to 0 is that all of my stock plastic knuckles are broken - and with the amount of rolling and general craziness we saw in last night's exhibition I think more plastic knuckles are to bite the dust soon - I vote to control body, tires, and motor, but let suspension be wide open as in any other class - esp. so that Okabe can run his DWS w/out having to be excluded etc. :)

Yeah I'd kind of prefer stock motor as well...I know everyone has at least one stock, I don't really want to have to spend too much for this, Holiday season was hard on my wallet :x

Yeahbut...my stock motors are mostly older than you! :p The 70T I had in my car last night was a dog, seriously like 5 years old I think...I vote stock or 70T here but will give in on this one if I'm outvoted. :)

Kyosho Stock motors are fine. Actually would prefer if everyone used Kyosho stock. I must have been wrong thinking they were 70T.

You weren't. :)

Okabe - I know you have dws, you are going to beat us all anyway so I think it's ok for you not to switch.

Hmm...lemme check results, but the way I remember it, beater-tastic old motor and sloppy old knuckles seem to be the way to go - i.e. can't go fast enough to roll it means I win! :D

We are also thinking of making everyone use the same gearing!

I love this! :D

I'm going to get some Hobby Paint or something from Ryder's tonight.... Post if you want anything special. Leaving around 4:30pm.

Crafting session was even more fun than the race (which was a blast)! :D Let us know what the outlay was on paint pens J so we can all chip in and pay you back! :)

I've uploaded pics of the exhibition race bodies to the Ann Arbor Mini-Z Dojo Gallery (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=1383&ppuser=1)...here's a taste:

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1383/medium/WP_000196.jpg

:cool:

YoYo-Pete
2012.01.09, 08:25 AM
Let us know what the outlay was on paint pens J so we can all chip in and pay you back! :)

Not worried about it... :D

I'm going to kind of use the subaru as a test bed for painting as I've not done it before (I got a white body). I'll post pic when I get mine all painted.

We have to think of a funny name for this series as it's far from conventional.

Deca
2012.01.09, 11:18 AM
I feel like fully opening up suspension tuning completely undermines the point of the series.

mini-z
2012.01.09, 07:29 PM
Not worried about it... :D

I'm going to kind of use the subaru as a test bed for painting as I've not done it before (I got a white body). I'll post pic when I get mine all painted.

We have to think of a funny name for this series as it's far from conventional.

Ha, I like this - could also tie into the crazy trophy somehow too...! :D

I feel like fully opening up suspension tuning completely undermines the point of the series.

Well, Okabe doesn't have the parts to swap back from DWS, and I don't have the parts to swap back from 1d knuckles (in fact, my knuckle inserts (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18398) are so worn, it probably varies from 0-??? as they slop around!), so...how about up to 1d knuckles, and DWS is legal, but other than that, keep it "closed"? :)

Deca
2012.01.10, 01:48 AM
so...how about up to 1d knuckles, and DWS is legal, but other than that, keep it "closed"? :)

That seems fair enough. I don't think camber is going to be a huge help to anyone as the stock chassis has enough mid corner grip to roll itself at half throttle :P

YoYo-Pete
2012.01.12, 09:06 AM
We need to schedule the series.... Next weekend is the last race of the series (sprints).. Let's plan on bringing our calendars and picking the next series dates. Cool?

monkeyZ
2012.01.15, 03:26 PM
Ok the idea behind the class was to keep the cars as close to stock as possible. So don't got run out and buy stuff to modify your cars. Try to keep them as close to stock as possible. So Okabe just keep your car with the DWS and David just keep your cheater knuckles! it's not like the traction roll of death doesn't affect your cars as well.

As for the points series we basically have to pick the opposite dates as the dirt group for the remainder of that season. Then we are free to pick as we please!

So YYP if you would organize the calendar bridging that would be super cool!

BT

YoYo-Pete
2012.01.16, 01:22 PM
I'll put dates on the google calendar when we decided them (if that's what you mean by bridging). ;)

YoYo-Pete
2012.01.16, 01:25 PM
Deca and I are in disagreement.

Is next season:

GT series with Subaru exhibition?

Or just a straight up Subaru points series?

Deca
2012.01.17, 04:08 PM
Both of those are wrong. We're doing GT and Subaru points series side by side.

MRDAVT
2012.01.18, 11:48 AM
Woops, I've found AWD standard rear suspension in my Mini-Z junk box and replaced it! Unfortunately, I could not find any stock toe rod, though.
If we will use same gear ratio, we need to use same motor as well because top rev has huge gap btwn PN70 and Kyosho stock.

YoYo-Pete
2012.01.19, 09:36 AM
Both of those are wrong. We're doing GT and Subaru points series side by side.

I didnt know you were in charge of the series now. :P

monkeyZ
2012.01.21, 01:11 PM
We will run some kind of points with the subarus too, but not like the GT series. I think the Subaru class will be limited to 8 minute race only with points only for that race. Not like in GT where you get points for qualifying and racing. It really doesn't matter to me.

Dates!

monkeyZ
2012.01.21, 01:13 PM
Ok, I think everyone doesn't have DWS now. So if your knuckles break on your car you can replace them with up to 1d, but only if they are broken. If anyone has spare parts for david, that would be really cool.

Also, okabe makes a really good point about the RPM for the PN vs Kyosho motor. If everyone has kyosho stock motors I would just like to use that motor only.