PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho Oil Shock vs R246 Oil Shock

BlackBerry
2012.01.09, 01:04 AM
I know they are both essentially Kyosho and both very closely priced so most people would go for the aluminum R246 option. (I'm assuming it's aluminum?)

But my question is which one weighs more? Are there any differences in performance or adjustability of the actual oil shocks (not the springs or oils if they happen to differ from each kit)?

Reason I ask is because the center shock is actually the highest mounted part on the chassis, so the car can definitely benefit from decreased mass (even if miniscule) at such a high center of gravity.

BlackBerry

unearthed name
2012.01.09, 01:47 AM
you might be surprised but people use the plastic one more. they leak yes, but it can be fixed.

aluminum weight more than the plastic.

they have the same adjustability. (same spring, and same spacer)

i personally use the r246 one. and i notice no noticeable difference.

BlackBerry
2012.01.09, 02:49 AM
you might be surprised but people use the plastic one more. they leak yes, but it can be fixed.

they have the same adjustability. (same spring, and same spacer)

Do the aluminum ones leak too? I'm assuming it's fixed with that rubber seal I seen somewhere in here.

Are springs and spacers the only adjustment available? Can we not change the internals of the shock to adjust valving?

BrandonGR
2012.01.09, 03:04 AM
I have the yellow one and it does not leak at all.

unearthed name
2012.01.09, 04:28 AM
Afaik, no regarding the valving

Rune
2012.01.09, 04:57 AM
The yellow plastic shock are very good.

Green slime will reduce leaking. A properly buildt shock, with new o-ring and top seal, treated with gfreen slime, leak very little if any.

The weight is much lower than the alu version, so my view is that the plastic shock is the best!

We have made prototypes of different pistons, but have not found a performance increase so far.
The stock config are very good on the oil rates we use.

color01
2012.01.09, 05:17 AM
For true oil dampers the Kyosho unit is the best bar none. A dab of AE Green Slime to the O-ring stops oil leakages, the damping is effective and the shock itself is very light, having only the shaft made in metal. If there were more effective ways of setting a rebound spring/downstop I would use it a lot more often -- I bought some extra O-rings that might work but they're still troublesome to fit into/remove from the shock.

chad508
2012.01.09, 07:22 AM
can you purchase just the seals from kyosho? if not does anyone use an alternative.

Traveler
2012.01.09, 07:39 AM
Chad, Kyosho came out with replacement rubber parts for this shock. Mike ordered some for HSH. Part # MZW207-01.

BlackBerry
2012.01.09, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I'll be going with the plastic shock.

Chad, Kyosho came out with replacement rubber parts for this shock. Mike ordered some for HSH. Part # MZW207-01.

Are these just replacements or updated parts?

chad508
2012.01.09, 07:43 PM
thanks for the part number got my local shop to order some

Rune
2012.01.11, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I'll be going with the plastic shock.

Are these just replacements or updated parts?

Replacement parts:)

Digitalis West
2012.01.11, 01:47 PM
I have had really good luck rebuilding my plastic shocks with the Kyosho parts. I polish the shaft with before reassembly to make them really smooth.

I have not had good luck with the R246 aluminum shock. I bought one when I first started and both the shock bladder and attachment ball system was inferior to the plastic shock.

BlackBerry
2012.01.11, 03:19 PM
Replacement parts:)

Thanks.

BlackBerry