PDA

View Full Version : "Stock" Body for 50T Motor?

BlackBerry
2012.01.17, 06:43 PM
I know in an earlier post of mine I stated we run open class at my local RCP track and everyone recommended 98mm wheelbase. Only thing is it seems a 50T is the norm for the track (or at least adequate enough to win).

So I was wondering if 98mm would still be the best option or are 94mm bodies a good idea for 50T? I HATE understeer. The more I read about 94mm cornering better the more I want to run it, but I don't want to if 94mm+50T=unstable car+traction rolling.

Another thing I have learned is I really hate tinkering/modding/doing anything that is not as simple as "bolt in and go". So I don't want to waste my time modding bodies, I don't even want to cut out the excess window plastic! So I have decided to limit my choices to proven, tried and tested stock bodies which have decently sized rear wings from factory.

For 94mm it seems the F430GT is king, so if I go with 94mm I would stick with that. Is there any body I'm leaving out (stock form+wing)?

For 98mm the options seem to be McLaren F1, GT500 GTR, and HSV010, but of these three, in STOCK form (though lowered) which one would handle the best for a 50T on RCP. My guess would be the McLaren F1 would handle best, but the zero offset is a bit concerning, should it be?

Another possibility I guess would be if any of these bodies can run in between wheelbases when lowered without body modification. I will eventually be running a reflex 945 mount.

Sorry if my post is a bit confusing, thanks,

Black

twinkie
2012.01.17, 08:19 PM
if you hate understeer and your running a 98mm.... I'd go with a Honda HSV... I just switched to the HSV from the McLaren...

Do you have to run 0 offset... if you do it will just give you more steering... I run +2 all the way around, and go to a +1 if I feel like i need more steering.

BlackBerry
2012.01.17, 09:07 PM
if you hate understeer and your running a 98mm.... I'd go with a Honda HSV... I just switched to the HSV from the McLaren...

Do you have to run 0 offset...

How does the HSV compare to the McLaren. Have you done any mods to either body? I would prefer to run a wider car so I have more adjustment options via offset, no need to to run 0 offset.

bermbuster
2012.01.17, 09:19 PM
The Corvette is a great 94mm body too...

BlackBerry
2012.01.17, 09:42 PM
The Corvette is a great 94mm body too...

Yeah that slipped my mind, seems a lot of guys like running it. I like the big wing. The offsets seem odd, is the front track wider than the rear?

color01
2012.01.17, 10:12 PM
IIRC the Corvette is +3.5N/+2W on the MR01, so on the MR02 or MR03-W you would be equivalent to +1N/+2W. I don't think there's any single body with stock offsets that are wider in front than back, although I've definitely run my F430 at +1.5N/+1.2W and my 599 (accidentally) at +1.5N/0W. :o

The HSV is freaking ballistic when given enough rear traction -- stupid amounts of corner speed, but very poor wall handling. I'm going to try it again as soon as I obtain a white body to tinker with (I don't mind cutting Autoscales, but they've got so much *stuff* attached in stock form, haha). My bumper mod is working so far on the GT-R, hope it works on the HSV too. :)

twinkie
2012.01.18, 01:08 PM
ive ran the corvette too... loved it... but then I started playing around with other bodies....

So the mclaren has gone through abuse... missing headlights, running atomic wing (not pn height legal).... to me it felt like a good body, was nice if someone spun out in front of my I could use the "shovel" front nose to clear the way...ask digitalis west. LOL I've driven under his car a couple of times in practice. The car felt planted and very neutral.

Then I went Ferrari 599... my car got damaged in a race so I borrowed my fathers car...599 has a bit more steering than the mclaren, and felt extremely neutral, and planted. The 599 had a reflex wing.

honda hsv... lets just say I had to turn down the steering travel quite a bit. For me the feeling of it being neutral and planted is the same as the 599 just with a ton of steering. The honda HSV is a stock out of the box ASC.... I did just shave a bit of the splitter down... if you like to run your rear tires low, then i would suggest slicing off the diffuser. I like the look so I'll just run it as is, and hack up the white body... which reminds me I need to order that right now.

BlackBerry
2012.01.18, 09:07 PM
My bumper mod is working so far on the GT-R, hope it works on the HSV too. :)

Please elaborte on this bumper mod :).

The honda HSV is a stock out of the box ASC....

ASC?

I'm convinced on the HSV, if after setting it up I still want more steering I'll then try 94 or maybe 96. Though it seems unlikely the way you guys describe its characteristics.

I hope rear traction isn't too big of an issue, I guess we'll see. Other than lexan wings what have you guys done to overcome it?

color01, I read in another thread that you were running +2.5 all around on the HSV. Was this with the body lowered to your preference or were you running it higher to fit that offset. Did you have to make any clearance modifications?

Thanks for all the input, very useful info here.

BlackBerry

bermbuster
2012.01.18, 10:55 PM
ASC= Autoscale

twinkie
2012.01.19, 12:27 PM

ASC?

I'm convinced on the HSV, if after setting it up I still want more steering I'll then try 94 or maybe 96. Though it seems unlikely the way you guys describe its characteristics.

I hope rear traction isn't too big of an issue, I guess we'll see. Other than lexan wings what have you guys done to overcome it?

color01, I read in another thread that you were running +2.5 all around on the HSV. Was this with the body lowered to your preference or were you running it higher to fit that offset. Did you have to make any clearance modifications?

Thanks for all the input, very useful info here.

BlackBerry

+2.5 will fit(barely), but for my setup it would be awfully tight... I currently run +2 all the way around

cowboysir
2012.01.19, 12:52 PM

Have a look in the recent photos in the MR03 photo gallery. He ground down the front of his GTR500 and fit a modified hard plastic Mazda 787 bumper to round out the front and make it wall friendly.

color01
2012.01.19, 05:04 PM
The HSV actually has more tire clearance space than the GT-R when both are at the same ride height. Ergo, +3N/+3W works just fine on the HSV so long as you cut the front tires thin (<23mm) and have some protection for the front wheels like so:

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8334/img0991ls.jpg

My current HSV is not lowered and I don't plan to lower the next one -- from the factory the HSV sits much lower than the GT-R, and lowering the front or rear will cause some tire scraping.

BlackBerry
2012.01.22, 05:51 PM
oops, wrong thread.