PDA

View Full Version : New Mini-Z Precision Gear Differential (Adjustable)

PNracing
2012.01.17, 06:53 PM
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32496&stc=1&d=1326847879
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32497&stc=1&d=1326847893
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32498&stc=1&d=1326847905
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32499&stc=1&d=1326847916
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32500&stc=1&d=1326847933

hilldebrandt
2012.01.17, 06:57 PM
AWESOME ! :D

When would that be released ?

chad508
2012.01.17, 07:10 PM
all i can say is

WOW

twinkie
2012.01.17, 07:18 PM
that looks awesome... and yet at the same time expensive lol

hilldebrandt
2012.01.17, 07:48 PM
If I remember correctly, JR up at Maj's Hobby Shop came up with a 64 pitch gear diff that he hacked together with a stock Kyosho one, over a year ago...

But this one looks sooooo much better....:cool:

color01
2012.01.17, 08:15 PM
Save one for me Philip! :D Looking forward to super-free diff action!

lfisminiz
2012.01.17, 08:58 PM
Same here....im in for more tinkering.;):)

machgo5go
2012.01.17, 09:31 PM
OK!
Restructuring my Mod Car soon with all new 93 -102mm Multi Motor Mount along with this new Cool Original Diff!:D

bermbuster
2012.01.17, 09:42 PM
Im in too.....:cool:

lfisminiz
2012.01.17, 09:55 PM
OK!
Restructuring my Mod Car soon with all new 93 -102mm Multi Motor Mount along with this new Cool Original Diff!:D

Im in for both parts on numerous cars....especially the new pod.;):D

tudor_47
2012.01.18, 01:06 AM
This looks soo cool and is now on my "I want list"
Looks like it will be possible to change spur gear without disassembly, is that correct?

dbsteve
2012.01.18, 05:09 AM
This looks soo cool and is now on my "I want list"
Looks like it will be possible to change spur gear without disassembly, is that correct?

Yes it is... cool no? Talking about innovation ! :cool:

unearthed name
2012.01.18, 05:54 AM
How does the adjustable part works?

BrandonGR
2012.01.18, 07:25 AM
Been waiting for this. Great job! I'm looking forward to hearing the little gears roar.

JuniorWKR
2012.01.18, 09:53 AM
If I remember correctly, JR up at Maj's Hobby Shop came up with a 64 pitch gear diff that he hacked together with a stock Kyosho one, over a year ago...

But this one looks sooooo much better....:cool:

i did make one a while back and for what it was it was pretty awesome... nothing like this but the concept was there... the only problem i had with mine is the same as anyone running a stock diff... it would bind under hard left hand turns... i looked everywhere for a slim enough bearing to stick in there but found nothing... i tried shimming but it would still bind when i got to the stronger mottors... especially in the sweeper... this design by Phil will not have these problems... and with mine i had to use different weight grease to slow down the diff... phil has incorporated the smae tension design as a standard ball diff... you will be able to control the speed of the gears by loosening or tightening the pressure washer... its a pretty amazing design and concept...

Chicken Little
2012.01.18, 11:12 AM
This is amazing!!! I can't wait to try it. I hope this has a patent b/c it would be a shame if someone just rebranded it.

chad508
2012.01.18, 11:19 AM
i was woundering if there was a reason not to make the gears out of delrin instead of alum.

cowboysir
2012.01.18, 11:23 AM
i was woundering if there was a reason not to make the gears out of delrin instead of alum.

I imagine that it would avoid overzealous tightening/crushing of the gears.

I really want one...

skytng
2012.01.18, 12:51 PM
This is a piece of ART!!

chris130256
2012.01.18, 01:23 PM
Can someone explain why they would want a gear diff rather than a ball diff? I don't get it?

JuniorWKR
2012.01.18, 02:13 PM
imo... you would benefit from a gear diff when running higher turn motors such as 80t or 70t stock class racing... the reason for this is the motors arent strong enough to spin the tires if there is traction so most of the times we just lock up our ball diffs to eliminate slip to pick up those precious tenths of a second every lap... the down side to this is when you lock up a ball diff you lose rotation cause it doesnt allow the ball diff to transition quickly through the infield... with a gear diff there is no chance of slip but it will always spin freely... allowing for greater rotation through the infield...

lfisminiz
2012.01.18, 02:54 PM
imo... you would benefit from a gear diff when running higher turn motors such as 80t or 70t stock class racing... the reason for this is the motors arent strong enough to spin the tires if there is traction so most of the times we just lock up our ball diffs to eliminate slip to pick up those precious tenths of a second every lap... the down side to this is when you lock up a ball diff you lose rotation cause it doesnt allow the ball diff to transition quickly through the infield... with a gear diff there is no chance of slip but it will always spin freely... allowing for greater rotation through the infield...

Good explanation, JR!:)

color01
2012.01.18, 05:18 PM
Good explanation. :) I was actually going to use mine for Mod -- in 70t or 80t Stock the motors don't actually slip the diff so you can leave a ball diff super-loose (I sometimes even use harder rear tires) for turn-in steering and corner exit speeds and tire loads are lower so you won't "diff out" on exit.

In Mod though, super-loose diffs WILL diff out on exit, and tighter diffs hamper off-power turn in. The gear diff removes this compromise as it's loose off-power for turn-in, tight on-power for exit speed, and (an extra benefit) tight on-brake for braking stability. When I drove Grant's prototype, the forward drive on exit was huge. :) The strong locking effect and no-slip design makes the rear end slip out a little more, but at the same time the slip is predictable = more exit steering. The only conditions in which I wouldn't dare use a gear diff is if there's not enough rear traction to make a safety envelope for the increased steering all around.

TheRinger
2012.01.19, 06:00 PM
AWESOME ! :D

When would that be released ?

January 28th from what I heard.

Skv012a
2012.01.20, 02:40 AM
Wow, looks amazing! Don't suppose there's any chance for the AWD version...

imxlr8ed
2012.01.20, 03:24 PM
Whoa... Always said some peoples cars were tuned like swiss watches! Now they will have the gears to match! Awesome work!

Any weight comparisions done yet? Just wondering about the whole rotating mass thing.

Cherub1m
2012.01.21, 12:11 AM
Wow, looks amazing! Don't suppose there's any chance for the AWD version...

This looks great, I am wondering the same, will PN make a gear diff for the AWD? or at least the spider gears for the AWD?

machgo5go
2012.01.21, 09:50 AM
JR, we got a taste of it last night in JT's car and it was amazing in 70T stock. The corner throttle was instant response especially through the carousel in full throttle without loosing composure! Also weights like nothing of 4 gram so can't weight to my hands of one.

d1nzfe
2012.01.21, 10:47 AM
but its pricey:eek:

PNracing
2012.01.21, 11:10 AM

Yes, I understanding, because whole gear diff except the Japan O-ring, all parts is CNC machine cut, if feedback is good, I will start to make Delrin molding gear, lower the cost and lower retail price.

And also we start to designing for AWD too.

Chicken Little
2012.01.21, 12:02 PM

How much are we looking at?

PNracing
2012.01.21, 12:35 PM
Standard Pitch $49.80
64P with 9-14T pinion $53.80

TheRinger
2012.01.21, 12:41 PM
Yes, I understanding, because whole gear diff except the Japan O-ring, all parts is CNC machine cut, if feedback is good, I will start to make Delrin molding gear, lower the cost and lower retail price.

If the diff works as good as it looks and I'm pretty sure it will, it will be worth the price whatever it is. Like already mentioned in this thread I think it will make an awesome stock class diff. And if PN is working on a AWD gear diff, that would be sssssssswwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt! :D Well apparently I posted right after PN did.:o that price is reasonable.

oXYnary
2012.01.21, 06:14 PM
Whats wrong with the stock awd gear diff to need a metal version? Mod? Will the heavy duty version of the gear that they are coming out with for the buggy work on the awd?

Not sure I see why would need a new gear diff UNLESS its going to be sealed w/oil.

lfisminiz
2012.01.21, 06:57 PM

Philip, AWD version would be great!:)

imxlr8ed
2012.01.21, 10:31 PM
Whats wrong with the stock awd gear diff to need a metal version? Mod? Will the heavy duty version of the gear that they are coming out with for the buggy work on the awd?

Not sure I see why would need a new gear diff UNLESS its going to be sealed w/oil.

I know when I had my AWD the stock gears had binding issues. Seemed like there was just way too much slop.

machgo5go
2012.01.22, 10:41 AM
Standard Pitch $49.80
64P with 9-14T pinion $53.80When it will be official up on Kenon's website in retail?
It's pricey but like they always say in any hobby,
"You wanna play, you gotta pay!"

Cherub1m
2012.01.22, 11:33 AM

For the AWD! that's what I want to hear. Now is that for the MA-010 or the new 1/24 scale AWD buggy (aka MB-010)

color01
2012.01.22, 06:56 PM
Same differential, isn't it? :confused:

Anyways, I picked up a new diff last night at Kenon and it's an engineering masterpiece. :) Fast too, as I expected, you get more steering because it's super-free AND more exit drive. But because of the instantaneous power delivery, you need either more rear traction as a safety envelope or to become a better driver with the throttle and keep the tail in check. With my old PN Radial 7's the grip was just not quite enough to be consistent. I have a set of surprisingly good Slick 8's left over that I'll try next time, and of course new Radial 7's would probably be just perfect with my tail-heavy GT-R.

I let Clement (top TCS driver and new Kenon regular!) borrow the gear diff at one point and slapped on some worn Radial 6's onto his MR02 (McLaren F1 shorttail). When I went to test-drive his car in between races, it was awesome! Even though it wasn't tuned to my driving style and I had to adapt, I was still well able to chase down and pass the other fast guys on the track because there was just so much turn-in and corner speed.

I'll be putting the gear diff back into my car before the next race and actually mounting up new tires so I can give the diff a fair trial on my infamously sensitive car setup. Having driven Clement's car after tweaking it I think this diff has huge potential! :)

chad508
2012.01.22, 07:11 PM
you got one last night and i got to wait till the 28th. :( . i guess thats the perks of racing at the shop that makes them. hopefully we will get them here on the east coast soon. how was the noise from it. was it quite as posted our more like a stock gear diff.

Cherub1m
2012.01.22, 08:08 PM

I don't know, I hope your right. I once use a gear diff in the front on my MA-010 with ball diff in the rear the car ran well unfortunately the spider gears would break down to soon.

PNracing
2012.01.22, 08:16 PM
you got one last night and i got to wait till the 28th. :( . i guess thats the perks of racing at the shop that makes them. hopefully we will get them here on the east coast soon. how was the noise from it. was it quite as posted our more like a stock gear diff.

All dealer already make some order, should be arrive Wednesday on dealer shop, check your LHS, and ask them make sure they had order it, because I don't have too much stock left.

chad508
2012.01.22, 08:32 PM
thanks philip. i'll see if one has been ordered. it would be great to test out at our event this saturday. it would get a lot of exposure for sure

lfisminiz
2012.01.22, 09:17 PM

Anyways, I picked up a new diff last night at Kenon and it's an engineering masterpiece. :) Fast too, as I expected, you get more steering because it's super-free AND more exit drive. But because of the instantaneous power delivery, you need either more rear traction as a safety envelope or to become a better driver with the throttle and keep the tail in check. With my old PN Radial 7's the grip was just not quite enough to be consistent. I have a set of surprisingly good Slick 8's left over that I'll try next time, and of course new Radial 7's would probably be just perfect with my tail-heavy GT-R.

I let Clement (top TCS driver and new Kenon regular!) borrow the gear diff at one point and slapped on some worn Radial 6's onto his MR02 (McLaren F1 shorttail). When I went to test-drive his car in between races, it was awesome! Even though it wasn't tuned to my driving style and I had to adapt, I was still well able to chase down and pass the other fast guys on the track because there was just so much turn-in and corner speed.

I'll be putting the gear diff back into my car before the next race and actually mounting up new tires so I can give the diff a fair trial on my infamously sensitive car setup. Having driven Clement's car after tweaking it I think this diff has huge potential! :)

Brian, thanks for your tests so far. Looking forward to getting mine soon!:)

josyskunk
2012.01.22, 10:33 PM
Philip,

Is there any chance there will be a F1 and LM version in the future? Can't wait to put this gear diff on F1 and LM car :D

PNracing
2012.01.22, 11:44 PM
Philip,

Is there any chance there will be a F1 and LM version in the future? Can't wait to put this gear diff on F1 and LM car :D

LM on production, F1 will be next.

machgo5go
2012.01.23, 09:24 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/PNGearDiff003Small-1.jpg
Here is just little impression of this new Gear Diff with optional 52 teeth Spur from an average driver's point of view in going through 4 packs tonight by burning up a set of Kyosho 30's & 20's from a PN 70T at 94 mm chassis.
Right away, you feel the instant power on acceleration and very linear though out the packs. There is so much corner steering especially on high speed sweepers that you can hold throttle in carousel without lifting.
Only thing about this gear diff is that it does keep you on the edge because there is no give in any slippage which means you really have to have high grip rear tires to keep your car inline. As rear tires wear and traction start to fade, you must have good enough throttle control because you can't just lift off too violently at turn ins or you will kick the rear end out in over steer. In the butt dyno, your car does feel somewhat faster and I did achieved few personal best laps faster then previous ball diff. At the end, switched back to a light weight Reflex/PN combo Ball diff in comparing, you can feel the give in slippage at cornering that gives your room for error which this Gear Diff will not. To sum it up, I like it a lot in precision craft and function plus ease of changing Spur gear but it will take more time to adjust one's driving style since it is all power or nothing!

lfisminiz
2012.01.23, 09:46 PM
Thanks Eddie,
I have my diff and pod sitting here to start working on. Cant wait. Good info on this.:)

machgo5go
2012.01.23, 10:22 PM
Thanks Eddie,
I have my diff and pod sitting here to start working on. Cant wait. Good info on this.:) You're welcome Larry!
New 93-102 mm Movable Pod also came in but better get familiar to one thing at a time.

tudor_47
2012.01.24, 01:14 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/PNGearDiff003Small-1.jpg
To sum it up, I like it a lot in precision craft and function plus ease of changing Spur gear but it will take more time to adjust one's driving style since it is all power or nothing!

I got mine on order...

How do you change the spur gear? I've read that it is supposedly simple to do but how is it done?
Thanks!

machgo5go
2012.01.24, 05:34 AM
I got mine on order...

How do you change the spur gear? I've read that it is supposedly simple to do but how is it done?
Thanks!
Simplely 1st. loosen the back O-Ring tensioner to release load from E-Clip side. Then remove E-Clip. Next take off Bearing Hubs which now 3 worm gears are expose. You can retract all 3 worm gears with center pin towards drive shaft since it is the 3 worm gears center pin holding the Spur Gear down. Now lift off the OEM 53 teeth Spur Gear and replace it with 52 teeth or whatever you have as your option. Now push back up the 3 worm gears and their center pin will lock your new Spur Gear back in place. Final step is reinstall the Bearing Hub & E-Clip. On track, Adjust O-Ring tensioner to give you somewhat tiny back lash between all the gears to either just lessen or more instant throttle responses. Good Luck!

machgo5go
2012.01.24, 06:47 AM
LM on production, F1 will be next.Please make F1 64P and then I may invest in a new MF-015!

tudor_47
2012.01.24, 08:54 AM
Simplely 1st. loosen the back O-Ring tensioner to release load from E-Clip side. Then remove E-Clip. Next take off Bearing Hubs which now 3 worm gears are expose. You can retract all 3 worm gears with center pin towards drive shaft since it is the 3 worm gears center pin holding the Spur Gear down. Now lift off the OEM 53 teeth Spur Gear and replace it with 52 teeth or whatever you have as your option. Now push back up the 3 worm gears and their center pin will lock your new Spur Gear back in place. Final step is reinstall the Bearing Hub & E-Clip. On track, Adjust O-Ring tensioner to give you somewhat tiny back lash between all the gears to either just lessen or more instant throttle responses. Good Luck!

Thanks!
Are there optional Spurs included in the diff kit?

bermbuster
2012.01.24, 09:01 AM
Thanks!
Are there optional Spurs included in the diff kit?

with the diff kit you get extra pinions

d1nzfe
2012.01.24, 09:45 AM
From the feedback:ease of changing spur gears,
It just make the changing really just a little easier only.:D

PNracing
2012.01.24, 09:46 AM

Eddie, not need take off the E-clip.

Changing Spur Gear Ratio

1. Loosen Tension Nut to separate side gears.

2. Allow spider gear pins to recess into carrier. Depress with screw driver if necessary as shown by arrows.

3. Remove spur gear.

4. Installation is reverse of removal

PNracing
2012.01.24, 09:56 AM
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32529&stc=1&d=1327420651

d1nzfe
2012.01.24, 10:56 AM
Now that's the very reason i'm going to get one!:D

machgo5go
2012.01.24, 11:42 AM

Changing Spur Gear Ratio

2. Allow spider gear pins to recess into carrier. Depress with screw driver if necessary as shown by arrows.

3. Remove spur gear.

Thanks Phillp!
Duh, I knew there was a easier way that what I experimenting with so now I am going to get other size as well besides 52.

tudor_47
2012.01.24, 03:17 PM

Changing Spur Gear Ratio

3. Remove spur gear.

Thanks for telling us how it's done.

hilldebrandt
2012.01.25, 06:26 PM
I'm a little upset right now. I saw that this was for sale last night on Kenon's website, but I didn't have the money to order until today.....and now it's GONE from the site....

Did it sell out already ??

PNracing
2012.01.26, 09:38 AM
I'm a little upset right now. I saw that this was for sale last night on Kenon's website, but I didn't have the money to order until today.....and now it's GONE from the site....

Did it sell out already ??

We still have limited stock I can save for you, email me philip@pnracing.com.
Most hobby shop already order the new mount and gear diff for his local customers.

hilldebrandt
2012.01.26, 11:08 AM
We still have limited stock I can save for you, email me philip@pnracing.com.
Most hobby shop already order the new mount and gear diff for his local customers.

I will email you later today when I get home from work. If you can, please save a gear diff and the new 93-102 motorpod for me and I'll order it then. Thanks Phillip! :)
Gregg

hrdrvr
2012.01.26, 09:32 PM
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2012-01-26_18-57-38_849.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2012-01-26_18-57-17_897.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2012-01-26_18-56-59_290.jpg

Installed today. Very impressed with the build quality and smooth-ness out of the pack. Felt great in my hands and did what is was supposed to do on the track (only ran 20-30 laps). We have an event this weekend, and I will likely test this out in 70t GT class. I just wish I would have ordered one of the 51 or 52 spurs to go with it :D

machgo5go
2012.01.26, 09:54 PM
52/14 in 70T is the way to go!:D

MiniPunch
2012.01.26, 10:26 PM
Wow...that's a thing of beauty! I totally want one. :D

d1nzfe
2012.01.26, 10:37 PM
Anyone knows if the shaft same with ball diff ones?:confused:

lfisminiz
2012.01.27, 08:33 PM
Had a chance to try it out today on my home track. Whole diff is very light. So far, real good. Using in one of my 70T cars. It really rips out of the corners. A definite try for stock. I wouldnt be able to handle it for mod.:p;):D

hrdrvr
2012.01.27, 09:36 PM
I don't know if I'll take this apart til Monday. I ran quite a few laps with this on a set up today. I think I've got the whole package more dialed now. Tomorrow will tell with some timed runs. Our track seems to get rather dirty quickly, so I am anxious to see how clean it stays, and how it fares against RCP.

machgo5go
2012.01.28, 12:34 AM
Raced it in our Friday Night Club Racing & I think is a winner!
Gotta tell ya, I did my personal best hot laps in all 3 qualifier and most laps done ever in A-main from the same layout for past 4 weeks. Power delivery was instant and cornering speed were up there . The turn in was a breeze and held so planted through at 180R carousel turn. All this was done in our Stock Spec series with PN70T & Kyosho 30's & 20's.

PNracing
2012.01.28, 01:26 AM
Anyone knows if the shaft same with ball diff ones?:confused:

The shaft design is difference, can't combine to use.

Mike Keely
2012.01.28, 07:10 AM
What is the weight of the complete diff???

hrdrvr
2012.01.28, 07:13 AM
4.1g, by my scale.

Felix2010
2012.01.28, 07:17 AM
Freaking Mint job on this Adj. 02/03 Gear Diff Philip!!…. Truly a work of art, you continue to push the envelope man…. Great job (Yaa, same goes on the new crazy-slick PN 02/03 Multi Motor Mount:cool::cool::cool:)

lfisminiz
2012.01.28, 09:53 AM
4.1g, by my scale.

Ya, i got around 3.8-3.9 on my scale.

machgo5go
2012.01.28, 10:27 AM
Ya, i got around 3.8-3.9 on my scale.
Yes Larry, it weights around the 4.0 bracket and from butt dyno, rear ends feels mighty light!;)

d1nzfe
2012.01.28, 11:58 AM
Sadly i'm still waiting for mine

twinkie
2012.01.28, 02:05 PM
i was up in the air, mostly due to price...but when I was told about the limited availability, that diff somehow ended up in my car. LOL

All I can say is OMG tons of steering... especially when using the HSV body. In my mod I have tons of exit steering...got that fixed, and tonight I will try with some new rubber in the rear.

That diff is extremely smooth...compared to my diffs because I suck at building diffs.

arch2b
2012.01.28, 02:10 PM
money cleared today and of course, 'not in stock':(

z3zinho
2012.01.28, 03:40 PM
Does the adjusting on this actually work? Like say, a ball diff or normal diff with different oils, or is it "something else"?

color01
2012.01.28, 03:57 PM
It works. :) The gear preloading just puts some pressure on the gears themselves, so it's like tightening a ball diff. Somehow, PN got the gears machined just right so the diff is still smooth even after you tighten the nut down. :eek:

My impressions of the diff after trying it yesterday are that 1) it kicks major amounts of arse for 80t and 2) there's not enough grip to use it in Mod. I bought a PN 39t to see if the torque would overwhelm the rear end on exit and the answer is "Yes. Yes it does." I'll try again with the smoother PN 33t and a more understeer-biased setup and see if I can somehow make use of the gear diff's excellent corner speed. Otherwise, it's back to the ball diff for Mod. :)

twinkie
2012.01.29, 12:04 AM
I use it with a pn33t... so far i love it...

hrdrvr
2012.01.29, 03:01 PM
I ran it yesterday in a event, and all I can say is I like it, and I need another one :D Over all, I turned a couple of hotter laps, and went a extra lap in the main with the VDS set up I was running, but that car was about 4g lighter, and everything in that race went my way.

The diff performs as described here. A quick pro/con list:
PRO:
Light weight
Instant throttle feel
Super free off power
Very consistent
Maintenance free

CON:
The gear side nut will tighten the gear mesh inside (no different than ball diff)
It rips so hard out of the corner, I spun two brand new pinions off :D A little super glue covered that :D

This is all still preliminary. I installed the diff Thursday night, practiced and tuned the car Friday, and raced an event Saturday. Longevity is going to be key, but cannot be determined yet. The diff setting stayed constant, and the diff stayed relatively clean.

d1nzfe
2012.01.30, 12:31 AM
Any test on using some grease or heavy oil?

twinkie
2012.01.30, 02:19 AM
i dont think I want to put grease in there.... for one since its an open diff, its going to throw the grease around, and two the grease is going to collect crap when its running...

josyskunk
2012.01.30, 03:52 AM
I am thinking using some kind of lube to make the action smoother. But I don't think heavy oil is a good direction because I want the diff as loose as possible. I am thinking the kingpin oil from Kyosho or "DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant"

what do you guys think?

lfisminiz
2012.01.30, 04:30 AM
I did put some of the Kyo king pin oil on. Seemed good with no xtra dirt collecting from it. Didnt have enough time yet to test it for a long period of time yet.

bermbuster
2012.01.30, 08:14 AM
I used a few precision drops of Tri-Flow made it ultra smooth......:cool:

color01
2012.01.30, 08:23 AM
I did put some of the Kyo king pin oil on. Seemed good with no xtra dirt collecting from it. Didnt have enough time yet to test it for a long period of time yet.
Me too, works great. My only real issue was that I spilled some on the threaded part of the axle I guess, so the Delrin adjusting nut was shifting around a little bit until I threadlocked it.

FWIW, I run the diff fairly loose. No real preload on the gears, I'm maintaining about 0.1mm of slop in the gearset so the spur can actually tilt back and forth almost 0.5mm at its furthest point (edge of the spur teeth). Any tighter and I have big issues planting the rear end on corner exit. As it stands I'm letting the rear end "diff out" slightly, which is better than losing traction altogether and spinning the car into the wall. I'm looking forward to playing with it again this coming weekend. :)

josyskunk
2012.01.30, 08:59 AM
I have no experience with Tri Flow and just checked their website and I have a question, do you guys use wet or dry Tri Flow ? and why ?

twinkie
2012.01.30, 11:29 AM
I use Jig-A-Loo on mine... had a sample can from a trade show years ago... for me this stuff works great. I use tri-flow on the helicopter though, and thats great stuff too.

arch2b
2012.02.01, 07:18 PM
when will these be back in stock?

or can you buy the m0.5 and replace the spur with 64p?

hrdrvr
2012.02.02, 10:35 AM
Still running it dry, still no maintenance done, just driving it, and driving it hard! Had a club race last night to run the diff for the second time under race scenario. The car was very consistent. I set TQ in every round until the last where I got jumped by Chad, who is also now running the same diff. With the diff in his car he managed to beat the lap record for the new layout, which had pan cars running on this weekend. His car is blazing, but for the first time in months I am able to match pace with him.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2012-01-29_18-00-47_818.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2012-01-29_18-00-13_964.jpg

arch2b
2012.02.02, 01:32 PM
hate to be repetitive but or can you buy the m0.5 and replace the spur with 64p? i'd like to try this but only option right now is wait for restock. i don't mind buying the m0.5 if i can simply replace the spur with the a 64p spur of my choice.

hilldebrandt
2012.02.02, 03:35 PM
hate to be repetitive but or can you buy the m0.5 and replace the spur with 64p? i'd like to try this but only option right now is wait for restock. i don't mind buying the m0.5 if i can simply replace the spur with the a 64p spur of my choice.

Yes you can...the gear diff is the same...just replace with the 64 pitch spurs...

arch2b
2012.02.02, 04:03 PM
excellent, thank you. i have a few things on the wish list that i can go ahead and pick up instead of waiting.

bevo
2012.02.02, 06:26 PM
What about the shaft? I can't seem to find a replacement shaft for it. Is it the same as the pn ball diff shaft, or am I just screwed iwhen I bend this one. I tend to go through them pretty quick.
I'm also assuming that the normal 64p pinions will also work with this?

color01
2012.02.02, 07:51 PM
The gear diff has its own proprietary shaft, so if Philip is out of stock then you're a bit out of luck. :( On the other hand, the hard-anodized 7075 aluminum shaft is pretty darn tough -- if Grant and I can't bend it with our crashing I don't think it's going to be easy. ;)

Normal 64p pinions work fine with the spur -- the machined ones are even smoother although a bit expensive and a tad heavier.

bevo
2012.02.02, 10:28 PM
Thanks, I just found the 64p in stock. I ordered the other earlier and requested it be canceled, so hopefully I don't end up with both the 64 and regular one. What's the # for the shaft for it?

yahuzz
2012.02.03, 09:54 AM
Tried yesterday in race....
i started with my ultra light ball diff, but once installed this diff... wow... surprise!
I can really go much faster than any other racer on the track and reach the fastest lap on the track and pole position for the A final...
Just as others said, i had to change a little my driving style, because this diff needs more accuracy in using throttle or it will spin the car out when coming into corners... Instead, with big surprise, on full throttle no rear grip loosing in coming out from corners!!!!

Very good first impressions!!!! more details to come....

PS: Any chance to see 126p spur for this diff??

yasuji
2012.02.03, 10:15 AM
Tried yesterday in race....
i started with my ultra light ball diff, but once installed this diff... wow... surprise!
I can really go much faster than any other racer on the track and reach the fastest lap on the track and pole position for the A final...
Just as others said, i had to change a little my driving style, because this diff needs more accuracy in using throttle or it will spin the car out when coming into corners... Instead, with big surprise, on full throttle no rear grip loosing in coming out from corners!!!!

Very good first impressions!!!! more details to come....

PS: Any chance to see 126p spur for this diff??
we tested this in 126p but there is a slight problem with stripping gears due to the fact that there is no slip ... :(

yahuzz
2012.02.03, 10:33 AM
we tested this in 126p but there is a slight problem with stripping gears due to the fact that there is no slip ... :(

Thanks a lot Grant for the answer....
i asked because i was surprised yesterday night to see how smooth is a diff with this spur... ok, 64p is still enough with this amazing new diff!

Rune
2012.02.05, 11:33 AM
Looks very good:)
Impressed by the weight of the thing.

Have more people tried it in mod cars?

yasuji
2012.02.05, 11:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic1snrxYZVk&context=C30fb4c7ADOEgsToPDskJ1OuvV-uMjsP0QnydTJqsi
PHILIP RACED WITH IT LAST NIGHT:D

EMU
2012.02.05, 12:42 PM
Out of curiosity, I purchased a 43t gear diff yesterday to try to put through some tests. Swapped the spur out for 51t, which was quite easy. I also replaced the delrin adjustment nut with a Qteq nut. I feel that the delrin nut on the normal ball diff is the biggest drawback to the PN diff for me, so I didnt want to take any chances. I used a drop of lube on each spider gear, and gave it a spin. I was impressed by the smoothness.

I put it in a 70t car that I had been working on, gave it a few laps and it felt much more aggressive into the corners, but pushed out. I felt that tire wear increased considerably. I then pulled the diff and gave it to a buddy to use for racing, he liked it, but also noticed more tire wear, his tire wear was nearly double the rate of with a ball diff. We run on carpet with 7d ATM Silicon tires, so it may be a little different on RCP.

In the end, I dont know if it is good for the long runs, but should be good for low power short runs.

Another friend tried one in our Skinny class, and due to the fact that we use narrow rear tires in that class, had to replace it with a ball diff since grip was not high enough for the gear diff.

PNracing
2012.02.06, 12:10 AM

3.9g only.
http://photos.steply.com/photos/e0c6x0c/9ps4ln0s.jpg

color01
2012.02.06, 05:18 AM
I've used too many different rear tires and motors at this point to comment scientifically on the rear tire wear, but it does look like the gear diff goes through tires faster on RCP. One workaround I'm trying now is to turn down the Throttle Speed (FWD) on the radio, so that when you hit the trigger, the actual signal that is sent to the car is not "instant throttle", but more like "roll on the throttle at rate X". This approximates the slight slip that a ball diff gives, reducing the loads/slip on the tire and thus wear.

For me, the reduced slip should translate to better consistency too since 95% of my mistakes in Mod are due to over-throttling at the corner exit. If this all works out I can have a nice forgiving car on-power without giving up the huge off-power steering and corner speed that the gear diff provides.

machgo5go
2012.02.06, 06:36 AM
I've used too many different rear tires and motors at this point to comment scientifically on the rear tire wear, but it does look like the gear diff goes through tires faster on RCP. One workaround I'm trying now is to turn down the Throttle Speed (FWD) on the radio, so that when you hit the trigger, the actual signal that is sent to the car is not "instant throttle", but more like "roll on the throttle at rate X". This approximates the slight slip that a ball diff gives, reducing the loads/slip on the tire and thus wear.

For me, the reduced slip should translate to better consistency too since 95% of my mistakes in Mod are due to over-throttling at the corner exit. If this all works out I can have a nice forgiving car on-power without giving up the huge off-power steering and corner speed that the gear diff provides. It goes through Kyosho 20's rear tires much quicker even at 70T. Lesson to be learn which I found out have to run brand new set per race night since I was all over the place at the end of the night by skimmpy out in trying to run a set for 2 weeks.

bevo
2012.02.06, 07:04 AM
So does anyone know the part number for the diff shaft? I've bent 2 ball siff shafts in the last 2 weeks and want to have a few extra ones on hand for this diff.

Traveler
2012.02.06, 08:05 AM
No part number yet because gear diff shaft is not available as a separate part... yet. ;)

PNracing
2012.02.06, 10:08 AM
No part number yet because gear diff shaft is not available as a separate part... yet. ;)

The gear diff all spare parts will be on site tomorrow.

Cherub1m
2012.02.06, 10:22 AM
The gear diff all spare parts will be on site tomorrow.

Will the spare parts include the spider gears? if yes will those spider gears fit the stock Kyosho Gear diff?

PNracing
2012.02.06, 02:40 PM
Will the spare parts include the spider gears? if yes will those spider gears fit the stock Kyosho Gear diff?

The spider gear not yet arrive, and I don't is it fit Kyosho gear diff, should be not fit, but we working on Alm Spider Gear for AWD and Buggy.

Cherub1m
2012.02.06, 11:14 PM
The spider gear not yet arrive, and I don't is it fit Kyosho gear diff, should be not fit, but we working on Alm Spider Gear for AWD and Buggy.

Alum. Spider Gears for the AWD! :D will the Planet Gear (I think that's what you call it) be made also?

twinkie
2012.02.10, 03:15 AM
so i was messing around today, and decided to put the ball diff back in my mod car... surprisingly my lap times were the same, but as for a feel... i felt that with the gear diff, I can't have a mistake when applying throttle exiting a corner, but it is very forgiving if you over shoot a corner...the ball diff I feel like its more forgiving on the exit, but not in the entry of the corner.

but it can also be due to my horrible set-up....

I'm still playing with it... I like it, but I think it will be finding a new home in my stock car. It feels nice in my mod, but my driving capabilities doesn't handle it well... im good for 5-10 laps w/o a mistake, but when the mistake comes, i am unable to correct/react fast enough

Tjay
2012.02.10, 06:43 PM
If you have a really good car setup, your car can actually jump out of the corner like the AWD's. I wonder if it makes the car a bit twitchy to drive? Modified stock diff... This is very interesting.

chad508
2012.02.10, 08:47 PM
i have been finding my car to be more and more un predictable running this diff. i am in no way being negative as i think it is a great diff, but my stock 70 turn cars have been so fast that i feel it is giving the car to much rip for my driving style. i have been running this diff since the day they were released and loved it from the first time on the track. i have been running it 3 days a week and even ran 2 different cars in our last event both 70 turn with this diff. i find my driving style to be hard on throttle and lately my cars have just been getting harder to drive. my setups and driving style is so close to the edge of being uncontrollable this diff just puts it over the edge. i may have to dumb my cars down a little to be able to drive it the way i have for so long. i since went back to a ball diff and my cars are back to "normal" i haven't given up on this diff i just ned to retune my cars our drive style to it. i still give the diff a big thumbs up:)

HammondCheese
2012.02.28, 08:55 PM
I've just had my first couple of runs with this diff. The one really pressing question I have is - how do you all adjust this one? My fingers are too fat and chunky to turn the adjustor while its in place. I'm having to pull the diff half out to adjust it - and I'm not overly thrilled by this. I dont want to use pliers on the adjustor - I suspect it would get chewed up fairly quickly. Do the adjustors made for the ball diffs (eg MR2049C) that have the hole for the allan key fit this diff? Or maybe a thought for an improved replacement part in the future :)

chad508
2012.02.28, 09:02 PM
i just use a flat blade or a allen key to turn it. the nut has grooves cut in it to allow this

TheRinger
2012.03.04, 11:44 AM
I just put this diff in my mr03 stock car today and it's awesome! Goes in and out of turns faster and more precise around the track. I don't know how it will be in the long run but unfortunately I'm going to have to give this diff back to its owner sooner or later.:(

arch2b
2012.03.04, 11:57 AM
later will be fine i'm sure :p looking for 'the ringer' stamp of approval :cool:

BlackBerry
2012.03.07, 01:38 AM
i did make one a while back and for what it was it was pretty awesome... it would bind under hard left hand turns... this design by Phil will not have these problems...

Can someone explain why a regular gear diff would do this and how PN's version would not have this issue?

BlackBerry

chad508
2012.03.07, 07:28 AM
stock version is cheap sloppy plastic. pn version is very well designed and machined aluminum

JuniorWKR
2012.03.07, 07:52 AM
the problem is when pressure was applied to the right side wheel (when making left hand turns) there was a flaw in the design that would apply to much pressure to the spider gears and cause binding... with the pn design of the open spider gears along with the bearing placement this is no longer an issue.

Cherub1m
2012.03.28, 01:06 PM

Any word on estimated time of arrival for this product.

PNracing
2012.03.28, 02:15 PM
Any word on estimated time of arrival for this product.

10 more days, also release LM Gear Diff.

josyskunk
2012.03.28, 02:42 PM
What is the ETA of F1 gear diff ?

ByronF1
2012.05.16, 01:11 PM
Did someone tried with another motor than 70s, like 50s or less?

chad508
2012.05.16, 01:49 PM
i ran it with a 50t the other day and had no problems. it gave me more rear grip, which is what i was looking for at the time

yasuji
2012.05.17, 01:30 AM

i ran this on my mod car with a 33t:D

Cherub1m
2012.05.18, 02:35 PM

Whats the word on the spider gears?

color01
2012.05.19, 04:16 AM
Key word "Ran", lol. I am still running my 33t Mod car with a gear diff, it makes the turn-in and mid-corner speed very quick but prevents the rear from throttle steering on exit, which is unfortunately useful in Mod. Grant, Ken and I took some slow-mo video at Kenon and my car was completely planted (and pushing) compared to Grant's, and that was me using the Mosler and Grant on a 599!

Cherub1m
2012.05.21, 01:14 PM
I know the two wheel drive metal gear diff version came out, and I am very impressed by anyone running a mod motor with it:D. I was wondering about the (Metal or Delrin) spider gear for the AWD stock gear diff.

ByronF1
2012.05.30, 02:55 PM

Hi, can you detail more about your set up.... with this motor... thanks in advance...

180SX SR20
2012.06.04, 08:20 AM
MR-03
50T motor
90mm wheelbase
Subaru body
-.5 narrow rears
20 deg radials
on carpet.

Kept adjusting lap after lap, but had control issues exiting turns. I had to be really careful on the throttle.

Now I'm trying an F40 body and wider rear tires and +1 offsets next time I go to the track.

arch2b
2012.09.11, 05:14 AM
180 tells you the result for 40t in the post before yours

ARN
2012.10.07, 12:40 AM
Are there instructions somewhere as to properly adjust this diff?

I am having some mixed results, if I adjust loose enough for the diff to feel smooth like a ball diff the gears inside will skip which I assume will destroy them within one run.
If I adjust for no internal gear slip and adjust the right rear wheel nut just tight enough to take play out of the wheel the diff does not feel like a ball diff and has a internal friction to it. But on the track all seems fine with my turning handling and drives fine I think?

I think this is one reason why my tire life is cut in half but I'm not sure if the handling within the turn is worth the tire life issue....
(just a side note about this diff; with a 70T I can use the tires until very thin, but with a 50T motor once the tread is lost on the 6d rear tires its over for good handling, well without major throttle touch control which is tiresome IMO.... I like the floor it then coast style of driving...lol )

color01
2012.10.07, 01:37 AM
Um... not sure what you're doing but that is not supposed to happen. You want to tighten on the wheel first, then make your diff adjustment till the gear diff is at least as loose as the ball diff -- my gear diff freewheels for far longer than my ball diffs, due to the complete lack of pressure on the internal components. You should then tighten the diff back up to ball diff levels for easier handling. If your gears are skipping, that is much too loose, and if it's that loose but doesn't freewheel better than a ball diff, you've got some cleaning to do I think.

chad508
2012.10.07, 08:52 AM
I have been having problems with the last 2 diffs I got. The first one I got is perfect but the other 2 have stripped out the spider gears and I have never been able to get it to feel as good as my original one. We have had a couple other local racers have the same results. it's almost as if the new ones aren't as precise as the originals causing problems

d1nzfe
2012.10.07, 12:23 PM
Exact same problem i faced!! QC issues!!!!

Cherub1m
2012.10.07, 02:35 PM
Um... not sure what you're doing but that is not supposed to happen. You want to tighten on the wheel first, then make your diff adjustment till the gear diff is at least as loose as the ball diff -- my gear diff freewheels for far longer than my ball diffs, due to the complete lack of pressure on the internal components. You should then tighten the diff back up to ball diff levels for easier handling. If your gears are skipping, that is much too loose, and if it's that loose but doesn't freewheel better than a ball diff, you've got some cleaning to do I think.

I agree with color01

Also, was wondering is PN still planning on making the metal spider gears for the AWD 1/24 Buggy-1/28 AWD stock gear diff (I know the two chassis use the same gear diff)?

ARN
2012.10.08, 11:03 AM

Thanks, its still clean clean clean.... I'm just going to send back to Philip to look at.

CiviX
2012.11.07, 01:13 PM
I also have the same problem with the spider gears. They are all stripped out.
I already use this kind of diff and never had that problem.
Here it's a new one (the LM one) and in my second lap, noise and observation : bad issue.
Now i'm mad cause 25$ out. Hope Pn will do something ....

Best

briankstan
2012.11.08, 07:11 AM
I've had to put a little bit of blue locktite on the threads to keep the plastic adjuster from backing out. doesn't take much either. Mine would loosen up over time to the point it would be too loose and skip teeth.

All of the guys running this diff now have had to do the same thing.

arch2b
2012.11.08, 07:44 AM
how many are using this diff for HFAY?

briankstan
2012.11.08, 09:50 AM
we have at least 4 of our guys running them.

Sammich
2012.11.08, 03:58 PM
i've had mine for about a month w/ the same fate.

danjoyy25
2012.11.08, 06:01 PM
we have at least 4 of our guys running them.

Are you also running it Brian? I need some speed secret tips to catch up on HFAY :D

briankstan
2012.11.08, 06:21 PM
Are you also running it Brian? I need some speed secret tips to catch up on HFAY :D

yes, I am using it on my car. I'm very happy with it.

Shoot me an email, I'd be happy to share my setup with you.

danjoyy25
2012.11.08, 06:33 PM
You got mail. My aim is to be 10 laps behind in HFAY,not 20+ :D:eek::)

hrdrvr
2012.11.08, 07:51 PM
i've had mine for about a month w/ the same fate.

This makes the fourth person, and about the 7th diff that has rounded out the gears at our track. It seems like the first three I got on the original order are the only ones left :(

Philip is usually really good with QC, and with replacement parts, but I have not made the full effort to get these bad ones to him. I need to, because my store has replaced 3 out of pocket, and 2 of those are toast now too :(

color01
2012.11.13, 12:20 AM
That is really weird guys, I think Philip does know about this by now but I'm not sure if there's been any replacement diffs coming back in yet.

If you have a brand new diff, my best advice is to not let the tensioning nut back out -- loctite it before you even put the diff on the car. I took out the O-ring while I was doing so, so my nut has not backed out in the almost a year (...wow :eek:) that I've been running the gear diff. The gears in the diff need the correct mesh to work correctly after all, too tight and you grind, too loose and you overload the weakest, outside edges of the teeth. There is honestly only a very narrow setup window in terms of adjusting the diff, you just need to get it right and mesh the teeth properly. The actual "LSD" adjustment is done using different greases.

That, btw, is something I will be playing around with this coming season. Finding the right grease to stay on the gears in an OPEN casing diff has not been easy.

Sammich
2012.11.13, 07:11 AM
i tore down my car to clean it up and freshen it up...put everything back together, reset the gear diff and it never ran. only bad thing i remember happening putting it back together was the little screw that secures the left wheel to the gear diff came out, i located it and reset it all. ran it around the house for all of 1 minute, loosened it a little bit, put it back in the box, took it to the track and i was served a :( face

danjoyy25
2012.11.26, 09:19 PM
Here is pic of my gear diff setup. Really liking how it handles.:)

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo258/danjoy25/PB163879.jpg

NoBrainer
2012.11.27, 03:28 AM
Looking nice.

Me btw can't get used to this.
I run faster with ball diff.

So it's something you need to get used to.

outlaw-star
2012.11.27, 04:37 AM
Just got this, can't wait to test. Is there a F1 version out yet? if so whats the model number?

Sammich
2012.11.27, 06:18 AM
it's a really fun diff...my plan is to run a ball in my mod car and gear in my diff..i love the instantaneous power from it, but i love the smoothness/consistency of the ball diff

TheRinger
2012.11.27, 08:12 PM
I'm curious. People have been having problems with the gears chewing themselves up. Is it from running it too loose? I've had one for almost a year now and haven't had a problem with it. I like it a little more then a ball diff but it's not as smooth though. More consistent with the gear diff then a ball diff.

color01
2012.11.27, 11:32 PM
That's the biggest user-side error I've seen. It's not impossible for a bad batch to have slipped into stock as well, but I haven't personally seen a bad gear diff at Kenon yet. Hope people get theirs working well, it's all about not letting the gears get too loose and then crashing. That kills 126p gears, no reason why it wouldn't kill the small gear diff teeth as well.

briankstan
2012.11.28, 07:35 AM
I've been running mine for about a year as well no problems to speak of. Put some threadlock on the adjuster nut so it can loose and your good to go.

Sammich
2012.11.28, 08:17 AM
That's the biggest user-side error I've seen. It's not impossible for a bad batch to have slipped into stock as well, but I haven't personally seen a bad gear diff at Kenon yet. Hope people get theirs working well, it's all about not letting the gears get too loose and then crashing. That kills 126p gears, no reason why it wouldn't kill the small gear diff teeth as well.

i doubt i did, i'm 99% sure if anything i had it a little too tight and i had to back off a little bit because it was spinning out on teh track that night. did maybe half a turn and it just..made noise and didnt move

HaCo
2012.12.04, 11:30 AM
Tightening the diff: how does it affect handling? Could it help from loosing power from the outer wheel when the inner is lifted? Could you get the same effect when you appl grease to a stock differential?

color01
2012.12.05, 12:21 AM
It will help, yes, but you will also destroy your turn-in steering as the gear diff is not designed to be tightened like that. Personally, I would run a softer T-plate when switching from the ball diff to the gear diff, the increased roll in the rear will keep the inside rear wheel on the ground and you do not lose any steering since the gear diff gives you more.

outlaw-star
2013.04.10, 09:55 AM
Just wondering if an F1 version of this Diff will be out soon? :)