PDA

View Full Version : Raceday February 26th in Reading PA...

imxlr8ed
2012.02.02, 08:49 AM
We are running the second installment of the new ISRL series on February 26th... 10am - 6pmish? Qualifying will start by noon, Mains should start around 3pm.

Here's the layout for the second race:

http://www.mini-az.com/Tracks/ISRL_Senna_Print.jpg

And yes... I'm pretty sure our custom pole bumpout will be making it's second appearance in this layout as well so glue up those front ends!

Also, here's a bit of histories on the drivers that the tracks are named for (great job Dusty!):

http://www.mini-az.com/isrldumans2012a.html

Here's the basics from Dusty's thread:

80 Minutes du Mans
A multi-class Le Mans style sports car and prototype race.
Each race is 8min for a total of 80min run in a season.
Classes all run and scored together. Positions are for Overall, Class, and Club Championships.
LMP class: 102mm+ prototype cars. Open motor. Plastic or Lexan. Lots of modification available and encouraged. 150g min (w/o batts)
GTS class: 98mm- sports cars. 70t+ motor. Plastic bodies. Some modification available. 125g min (w/o batts)

Formula Mini World Championship
Stock class F1 cars running 70t+ motors. Some modification available. 150g min (w/o batts)
Each race is 8min for a total of 80min run in a season.
Driver and Club Championships

hilldebrandt
2012.02.02, 05:07 PM
Ok cool....see ya'll then !:D

imxlr8ed
2012.02.05, 11:05 AM
Had some time yesterday to get the new layout down... yes, the pole is once again on the track but it's not as bad as I thought it'd be.

Finally got a 599 body to run and I can honestly say this is one of the best bodies I've ever had on a Mini-Z. Great frontal coverage, can handle a wider offset and it feels really balanced and light for the size. My GTS car handles 100% differently with this shell on it.

Open to practice dates if you guys need/want some, track is open when I'm home so if you want to set something up just PM me here or call me if you have my number.

lfisminiz
2012.02.05, 01:04 PM
Gee Ed, the 599 body has only been out ...what, a half of year now!:confused: Just Kidding.:) You know you can try any of mine out so you know if you like them or not.;)

hilldebrandt
2012.02.05, 01:47 PM
I've been thinking of getting the 599 body...I know they're sold out on the shop here...will check Kenon later today. Also gonna get the Nissan LM body...
Ed...I might wanna get some practice in before raceday. I will get ahold of you before then...

imxlr8ed
2012.02.05, 02:33 PM
I know Larry, I was just waiting on the right deal and I finally found a good one. Besides... I don't want to get in an accident with you and have to figure out which orange silver and black car is the one I'm actually driving! ;)

I found your parts bag for the F1 stuff... are those the hacked alloy mounts you were talking about? Why'd you grind the mounting surfaces... was it for the Mantis stuff?

No problem on the practice Greg, hopefully we can get some kind of tune night going like we used to have back at Gasman's place. Once a month works but it's not really enough to get good at it.

racerquinn#1
2012.02.12, 08:24 AM
i was thinking, our pole situation will be there for some of the tracks...couldnt we request that the bumpout be put on the other clubs tracks at the same spot. we still have to avoid it......

just a thought.

hilldebrandt
2012.02.12, 03:42 PM
I believe Dusty mirrored the later tracks to help with that situation.

On another note...I got the 599x, Sauber and Nissan LM white bodies and an airbrush kit to paint them. Hopefully I'll have a LM car ready to go by raceday!

lfisminiz
2012.02.12, 06:05 PM
I believe Dusty mirrored the later tracks to help with that situation.

On another note...I got the 599x, Sauber and Nissan LM white bodies and an airbrush kit to paint them. Hopefully I'll have a LM car ready to go by raceday!

Sounds good! No orange/yellow, silver/black!:rolleyes:;):p:):D

hilldebrandt
2012.02.12, 07:30 PM
Sounds good! No orange/yellow, silver/black!:rolleyes:;):p:):D

Nope !

Pearl Blue and Yellow with Silver and Black trim... ;)

imxlr8ed
2012.02.12, 08:52 PM
And don't get too good at painting them either or Larry may provide you with a second income! I was eyeing up a Sauber too, I think the light buckets are part of the body shell which sould make it more durable. I've gone and glued up all 3 of my 962s so I'll have backups... I just have to get the added weight into the chassis as opposed to on the body.

Quinny... The pole is our friend... it's what makes our club's layouts original!
It's really not that bad for this months layout, you won't even know it's there. :D

lfisminiz
2012.02.12, 09:26 PM
Nope !

Pearl Blue and Yellow with Silver and Black trim... ;)

Sounds like it will look good.:)

lfisminiz
2012.02.12, 09:27 PM
And don't get too good at painting them either or Larry may provide you with a second income! I was eyeing up a Sauber too, I think the light buckets are part of the body shell which sould make it more durable. I've gone and glued up all 3 of my 962s so I'll have backups... I just have to get the added weight into the chassis as opposed to on the body.

Quinny... The pole is our friend... it's what makes our club's layouts original!
It's really not that bad for this months layout, you won't even know it's there. :D

The Sauber white body is pretty strong.;)

racerquinn#1
2012.02.13, 05:56 AM
ok, sounds good. ill see you guys the 26th...ive been tinkering with my car in my basement. i set up a small track.

NoBrainer
2012.02.13, 07:00 AM
w00t!
Nice design of tracks. Loved April and May.
Hope you can make some video of LM for inspiration to all of us.

imxlr8ed
2012.02.13, 09:07 AM
LMP isn't our smoothest class, but I think we'll have a better run at it this month. We spent more time on our GTS cars last month and it showed. I'm planning to centralize the added weight into or onto the chassis for this month to see if the car handles any better. Quinn is our film crew, I'll make sure he gets the LMP races posted.

Dusty is the track designer... I just jam them into my basement!

NoBrainer
2012.02.13, 09:08 AM
cool.
Looks awesome!

Looking forward to see some action from you guys!

hilldebrandt
2012.02.17, 04:59 PM
Larry, where do you get the lead tape? I tried Tower and Horizon but couldn't find it.

lfisminiz
2012.02.17, 08:43 PM
Good question...i had it for awhile? Tower and amainhobbies have lead tape. Its not the exact kind. Tower its under MuchMore.

lfisminiz
2012.02.17, 08:46 PM
If any of you guys are looking for a GOOD radio....Carl (oldcrow) has a Eurus for sale.

hilldebrandt
2012.02.18, 08:45 AM
Good question...i had it for awhile? Tower and amainhobbies have lead tape. Its not the exact kind. Tower its under MuchMore.

Thanks...I saw it listed at Tower as Muchmore lead wheel tape.

imxlr8ed
2012.02.18, 10:54 AM
Talked to Gasman earlier in the week, he's wanting to sell out his MiniZ gear. He's got 2 F1s, an AWD and a bunch of 02s... all AM cars. If any of you need his number to get a hold of him, let me know. I know his one F1 and his AWD are fully hooked up, I'm sure some of his 02s are as well.

miniznewb
2012.02.18, 04:23 PM
If only I had the money I'd prolly buy either one of his f1 or larrys if he's still selling it. It's real car time of the year so that's where my money is tied till November :(

hilldebrandt
2012.02.19, 08:05 AM
Oddly enough, I found some lead tape at Walmart of all places! :)

imxlr8ed
2012.02.19, 11:36 AM
If only I had the money I'd prolly buy either one of his f1 or larrys if he's still selling it. It's real car time of the year so that's where my money is tied till November :(

Sent you a PM...

racerquinn#1
2012.02.21, 06:03 PM
the guy i work with has a small scale alley car?? he used sticky wheel weight from work??? i can bring some if there is still the wweight limit....

imxlr8ed
2012.02.21, 10:05 PM
Yes, the weight limit is and will be the rule for the rest of the season. You gotta get him to the track. Being an ex-alley racer myself, I know how I was drawn to these cars!

Many from Reading are ex-Mini-Gers! (gravity racers) you'd be surprised where they turn up! Unfortunately, the condition of almost all of the alleyways in town are now so terrible you couldn't even roll a bowling ball down some of them. Back in it's glory days, we would even bring our own concrete to mix up and smooth out the bumps. I'm pretty sure it's a not a dying but truly extinct breed of actual racers now but when you were a kid with little money and a whole summer of nothing to do it kept you out of trouble. I sometimes hear rumours of some groups still running the alleys once in a while but it never goes further than that.

Sorry, memories of fun gone by.

Yes, please bring lead and Larry... please bring your scale again!

hilldebrandt
2012.02.22, 01:39 PM
Alley racing is not completely dead. I saw at the Fairgrounds mall this past Sunday (it was the start of the Racing Reunion show) that a group called the Reading Alley Racers had a track set up and racing in one of the empty stores. Must've had 50 or more old cars running....:eek:

I also have a scale witch I will bring.....

lfisminiz
2012.02.22, 03:10 PM
Thats good. I should remember my scale to.

racerquinn#1
2012.02.22, 08:58 PM
yes thats it,a guy from work was probolly there...i think im going sat to see him.

anyway i will try and bring some of the sticky wheel weight. ive been trying to get him to come with. last time he had family issues and this sunday he will be at the fairgrounds.

imxlr8ed
2012.02.23, 12:23 AM
Alley racing is not completely dead. I saw at the Fairgrounds mall this past Sunday (it was the start of the Racing Reunion show) that a group called the Reading Alley Racers had a track set up and racing in one of the empty stores. Must've had 50 or more old cars running....:eek:

I also have a scale witch I will bring.....

What... your cell phone didn't work?!?! Call me next time you see something like that!

Quinny... You said they are getting together this Sunday too? Lemme know what time, place, etc...

I'll bet it's a reunion provided by the miracle of f******k... Always wondered how many people would come around if there was a page like that.

imxlr8ed
2012.02.23, 12:37 AM
Ok... Did some research and boy there was some memories in seeing those custom builts! My first car was an old Fairgrounds modified, my second was a Nascar. Seeing those shotgun wad rear wheels wrapped in classics really makes me want to build one again.

I guess that racing small cars will always just hold a special place for me. But I will always prefer ones that can steer!

hilldebrandt
2012.02.23, 09:16 AM
Those guys are there at the Mall all week racing the alley racers...the show ends Saturday.

imxlr8ed
2012.02.23, 10:22 AM
I gotta try to make it over there... I know the crew I ran with was one of the last that ran any kind of series in the city and I'd be curious to see if any of those guys are out there. What are they running on?... I'm guessing it's some kind of plywood/starting pipe deal?

hilldebrandt
2012.02.23, 10:26 AM
The ramp and the track are some sort of thick black plastic with grey walls. It's about 3 feet wide all the way down.

The show is the Reading Fairgrounds Racing Reunion' with alot of racecars being displayed...

hilldebrandt
2012.02.25, 06:01 PM
See everyone tomorrow!

imxlr8ed
2012.02.25, 08:05 PM
A quick hit with the zamboni and we're ready to go tomorrow.

I gotta pick up some lead from wallyworld later tonight to get my other LMP rolling legal.

Bring the scale again please Larry! :cool:

lfisminiz
2012.02.25, 10:59 PM
Got the scale. See you guys 10-10:30ish. Got a new F-1 to try also.;):D

hilldebrandt
2012.02.26, 07:49 PM
Decent raceday today....learned alot about setups and getting the radio setup. Can't wait for next month!
See everyone then !

lfisminiz
2012.02.26, 08:30 PM
Ya it was a good race day. Alot of older racers showed up to race some. Hopefully they will start racing more regular.

Gregg, remember the drag brake etc...I think you will get on track with a few tweeks. Time to break out the A-arm and ditch what you have. Polish all pins and get the delrin balls.;):)

bermbuster
2012.02.26, 08:58 PM
Ya it was a good race day. Alot of older racers showed up to race some. Hopefully they will start racing more regular.

Gregg, remember the drag brake etc...I think you will get on track with a few tweeks. Time to break out the A-arm and ditch what you have. Polish all pins and get the delrin balls.;):)
Larry you did have a great birthday....a weekend running mini z s and a new F1....Awesome!

lfisminiz
2012.02.26, 09:57 PM
Larry you did have a great birthday....a weekend running mini z s and a new F1....Awesome!

George...you bet...PRICELESS!;):D:)

imxlr8ed
2012.02.26, 11:36 PM
Jeez... I didn't even wish you a happy birthday today Larry!... When was it again?

Too busy today. I can't wait for the day when we can just race and tune without having to complete major mods to cars. My 599 is the best tune I've had on a car in a long while and I still can't stop tagging walls. Just no rhythm anymore! F1 was good too, but just couldn't get it to do what it was doing in practice.

Good to see Tyler and Dave again... wish Dave would run with us again but I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. We'll probably run towards the end of April, I'll post up a date soon.

lfisminiz
2012.02.27, 05:54 AM
Ed,
It was the 21st.....no big deal.:rolleyes::D
Yes it was hectic. Definitly need to start much earlier as far as the race start time. ;)

lfisminiz
2012.02.27, 06:31 AM
Jeez... I didn't even wish you a happy birthday today Larry!... When was it again?

Too busy today. I can't wait for the day when we can just race and tune without having to complete major mods to cars. My 599 is the best tune I've had on a car in a long while and I still can't stop tagging walls. Just no rhythm anymore! F1 was good too, but just couldn't get it to do what it was doing in practice.

Good to see Tyler and Dave again... wish Dave would run with us again but I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon. We'll probably run towards the end of April, I'll post up a date soon.

ED,
I think you mean, running later in MARCH....not April ^^^:rolleyes::confused::eek::)

hilldebrandt
2012.02.27, 10:06 AM
March 25th works for me, as I'll be in Indy for the Supercross race on the 17th

BTW Happy Birthday Larry!

imxlr8ed
2012.02.27, 10:36 AM
ED,
I think you mean, running later in MARCH....not April ^^^:rolleyes::confused::eek::)

March... guess I just wanna skip the rest of winter and get right into spring.

March 25th looks good for me as well, anyone else have other ideas?

Quinny's test run of the in-car camera from yesterday:

http://youtu.be/wjRbaBeWq4s

We will be working on a better mounting system for next time, but for some reason it seems funnier just to see all the chattering that these cars take on the track.

lfisminiz
2012.02.27, 12:46 PM
The camera is a great idea but it needs to be right side up next time.:eek::cool:

imxlr8ed
2012.02.27, 01:56 PM
Turn your phone sideways... :rolleyes:

j/k

racerquinn#1
2012.03.04, 08:01 AM
it is a good idea...it was only around $20 from amazon. its some sort of small recorder....they use them on rc planes and bigger scale cars. there might be away to flip the video on the computer. we will prolly need a pan car body of some sort??, the camera would have to be sticking straight up...ill do some testing at my track in my basement:)

lfisminiz
2012.03.04, 10:07 AM
I think..taking some sort of old body and try to fit it for the camera to sit in better somehow. i have a van body? or try a beater body and secure it better.