PDA

View Full Version : First tuning parts

nmodin
2012.02.02, 08:35 PM
Hi guys,

What would be a good list of the 5 first things you should upgrade on a new MR-03 ?

To give a little context we run on the RCP Tracks Mini-96 with no expansions so it is pretty small.

We have all gotten new bearings and new tires already.

I also have a sneaky suspicion that a new motor probably would do more harm than good considering the combination of track size and lack of skills ... :)

color01
2012.02.02, 08:55 PM
For a Mini-96 track I would recommend a disk damper, T-plate and front springs, and tire tape and glue. Speeds are low so you don't need to worry about aerodynamics, motor, or at-the-limit chassis performance so much. You just need to tune the car's base understeer/oversteer characteristic, and the combination of damper/T-plate/front springs will take care of that for you. :)

There is no need to motor up until you prove to yourself that you can handle it, i.e. the stock motor feels too slow and boring and you're making zero mistakes. After that, the PN 70t motor is a good way to go. Good punch and drag brake for small tracks like the Mini-96, and not overpowered like a true Mod motor (31-39t) would be.

nmodin
2012.02.03, 11:52 AM
For a Mini-96 track I would recommend a disk damper, T-plate and front springs, and tire tape and glue. Speeds are low so you don't need to worry about aerodynamics, motor, or at-the-limit chassis performance so much. You just need to tune the car's base understeer/oversteer characteristic, and the combination of damper/T-plate/front springs will take care of that for you. :)

There is no need to motor up until you prove to yourself that you can handle it, i.e. the stock motor feels too slow and boring and you're making zero mistakes. After that, the PN 70t motor is a good way to go. Good punch and drag brake for small tracks like the Mini-96, and not overpowered like a true Mod motor (31-39t) would be.

Sounds fair enough.

So when I'm looking around there are about 2 million different solutions for dampers right ? T-plates/front springs I can understand, but how do the different solutions for dampers work ? Should I just get the yellow Kyosho damper that's pictured on the box ? What about these 3 damper systems ?