PDA

View Full Version : How to tune Bump Stiffness?

BlackBerry
2012.02.09, 08:51 PM
How do I go about tuning bump stiffness via center shock. I am using the PN center shock. Should I start stiff or soft? What do I look for to increase or decrease the spring rates?

Thanks,

BlackBerry

color01
2012.02.10, 07:20 AM
You need to ask yourself some questions.

1) Do you roll on the gas or hit it hard?
2) Do you want on-throttle rear steer or off-throttle turn-in?

For on-throttle rear steer, if you hit the gas hard, you will want to soften the top spring -- this leaves the rear wheels not planted for a split second after you hit the gas, so you get a momentary rotation due to the drift that continues because you have momentum after starting the slide. If you roll on the gas, you will want to stiffen the rear spring, which will give you more overall steering everywhere.

For off-throttle turn-in, though, it's a bit easier -- generally, stiffer top spring = more turn-in.

I generally alternate between the Blue and Red springs for most track conditions (I run a PN G10 #3 T-plate, very soft) because I utilize both abrupt power delivery and smooth power delivery when driving my car. I like my car to be planted 99% of the time, but have the tail kick out when I really need it to. This has proven to be a fast method of driving for me in Stock (70t/80t), though not quite as successful in Mod (still trying to figure out my approach).

BlackBerry
2012.02.10, 09:34 AM
Thanks again color01 for another very informative reply. This answers all my questions. My preferred driving style is actually in between, but knowing what the adjustments do will help me figure out the setup.

Thanks,

BlackBerry