PDA

View Full Version : Atomic AAA Battery Discharger (Ver. II) Questions

BlackBerry
2012.02.12, 05:14 PM
Looking at the specs of this discharger I'm a bit confused. It says the discharge current and cut off voltage automatically varies from 0.1-2.5 amps and 07.-0.9 volts. How exactly does this work? If I understand correctly the discharger cannot be programmed and is self powered.

Specs:
AAA Battery Discharger (Ver. II)

1.) Discharge Current:
0.1 - 2.5A (Auto)

2.) No. of Cells:
4 Cells AAA

3.) Auto Cut off Voltage:
0.7 - 0.9V

Thanks,

BlackBerry

NoBrainer
2012.02.12, 05:26 PM
It uses between 0.1 - 2.5A when discharging and cuts off around 0.7 - 0.9V.

The electronics inside the box fixes these things.
I'm not sure how good it works, but I will test it this week.

BlackBerry
2012.02.12, 05:58 PM
It uses between 0.1 - 2.5A when discharging and cuts off around 0.7 - 0.9V.

The electronics inside the box fixes these things.
I'm not sure how good it works, but I will test it this week.

Yes but what variables control the discharge amperage and cut off voltage? I'm assuming its not just random.

NoBrainer
2012.02.13, 02:22 AM
ah, you want the schematics and how it works in detail.
That I can't give you. Sorry. I just know the theory, but since I don't know how they put it together I can't give you a good answer.

LED
2012.02.13, 05:43 AM
I have this one, I like it very much.
There is basicly 2 components inside for each battery. 1 resistor to draw the current from the battery and thus discharge it, and one component (I think its a zenerdiode) in serie with the resistor wich stops current from flowing once the voltage drops below a value.

Well there are more components inside, but this is the basic idea behind it.

NoBrainer
2012.02.13, 05:53 AM
Thats true, but that does not answer how it discharge the battery at f.ex. 2.5A.
It might be, I don't know, that it starts with 2.5A and then when it come under a threshold value, it reduces the A all the way down to the threshold of 0.1A.
Due to the way the components work.
And due to variation of thresholds inside components, they can't garantue more accurat values than 0.7 - 0.9V cut off.

nicov
2012.02.13, 07:49 AM
I think it does not vary automatically, it just means that it can take any discharge current between 0.1 and 2.5A due to the spec of the resistor (that warms up quite a lot during discharge !)

Then, according to the battery you discharge, it'll discharge the max rate of your battery, without exceeding 2.5A. So don't try anything else than AAA...