PDA

View Full Version : Returning after a 5 year absence, what's new?

95_civic_gsr
2012.02.16, 10:28 AM
Hello all, I'm Sean,
I was big into this site and Mini-Zs 9 years ago. I raced with 6 other friends on this track:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/95_civic_gsr/th_DerKleinabahnWeb.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/95_civic_gsr/?action=view&current=DerKleinabahnWeb.mp4)

That was after a couple of weeks. We became much better after that, but we spent all our time racing and no time filming. At the time we couldn't afford the available lap timer systems. Sadly the time came where there was no longer space to keep the track and it was disassembled. But we are going to try to remake the track soon. So I'm really interested in what affordable timers are available now.

Also, I've got an MR-01 and an MR-02 chassis, and two new friends have bought MR-02 chassis to keep on the same competitive level. What are the best modifications to get? Honestly this site's store gets to be a bit frustrating trying to figure out what's in stock and what's no longer available at all.

The Mods that made the biggest difference to our MR-01 chassis at the time were:
1) Mini-Z racer dry ball bearings (mine still spin for almost a minute once flicked, after all these years.)
2) H-Plate (carbon fiber/home made/something stronger than stock)
3) Ceramic Ball bearing differential
4) Metal Wheels
5) Metal Wheel Nuts
6) 1 Toe In Steering Rod
7) 2 Negative Camber Nylon Knuckles

OH!!! And what batteries are considered the best now. Then it was AAA 900 Rayovac iC-3 with a 15 minute charger, followed closely by the Duracell and Energizer.

We had tried different tires, and springs, but it never seemed to make a big difference on our track. At that time MZR had just released their flat bottom tires, and had just released grooved rear tires. (BTW: after my tires have sat for this long, they've flat spotted :o )

Thanks in advance for you help!

95_civic_gsr
2012.02.16, 10:33 AM
Longevity and durability are the main goals, in order to maximize the fun!

cowboysir
2012.02.16, 10:53 AM
Welcome back!

Your pretty much on the right track with mr02 upgrades...most of your list for the 01 are similar in being helpful for the 02.

Your best bet for tires is kyosho slicks. If you bulk order 20deg wide rear and 30deg narrow fronts you'll get good consistent grip for all racers.

There are a lot of cell choices that are way beyond the ic3 that you may want to do some research. My suggestion is if you want to level your racing league you could make a bulk order of Tenergy premiums and then split them up amongst your friends.

Same tires and same power level means close racing so therefore driver and setup shows through as the winner.

95_civic_gsr
2012.02.17, 02:43 PM
Welcome back!
Thank you Sir.
Your pretty much on the right track with mr02 upgrades...most of your list for the 01 are similar in being helpful for the 02.
I see that there are many more options for bearings, differentials, and batteries. In the past the MZR dry race bearings were the ones to run with. Are they made for the MR-02? Are they still the best? I see ceramic, and sealed and open bearings now as alternatives.
Are the ceramic ball differentials still worth the money in upgrade over the other differentials?

Your best bet for tires is kyosho slicks. If you bulk order 20deg wide rear and 30deg narrow fronts you'll get good consistent grip for all racers.
That is exactly the set up that I ran on my car. Though I ran MZR brand, and they had just come out with the grooved rear tires which worked great.
There are a lot of cell choices that are way beyond the ic3 that you may want to do some research. My suggestion is if you want to level your racing league you could make a bulk order of Tenergy premiums and then split them up amongst your friends.
Thank you, that sounds like an excellent idea. Though it seems most chargers charge in an hour, while the IC3 charged in only 15 minutes. Not really a problem if you buy more sets of cells.

Same tires and same power level means close racing so therefore driver and setup shows through as the winner.
Exactly, that is the primary goal, so that one racer doesn't dominate all the time. So everyone has fun.

Thank you for all the information. Any ideas on track lap timers/trackers?

saddad
2012.02.17, 02:55 PM
our lap timer is the robbitronic (cheapest we found & came with 3 transponders) giro z is the most popular but also look for i lap & trackmate for software zround is free & does everything you could want also flipside is good (also free)

leonabi76
2012.07.06, 05:26 PM
Any news on the SA-area MiniZ track? How are you and friends coming along? I ask because I'll be moving to the New Braunfels area in the next month and was hoping to find other racers. Let me know.