PDA

View Full Version : Help making an HSV fit my suspension?

bevo
2012.02.21, 05:58 PM
I have the reflex king pins for my front end, the tall ones. The HSV is hitting them and causing them to not move in at all. This has locked up my front end with that body on. It actually drives surprisingly well like this, but it drives me crazy knowing how much money I have in the front end, and it has no travel at all with this body on. All I have is the body mount that came with it. Is there anyway to raise my body so I can clear my suspension pins. I tried dremeling some of it off, but there's not enough plastic and it's just going to make a hole in the body.

arch2b
2012.02.21, 06:52 PM
i posted this very question when the HSV was new. only option is to cut the body. i tried everything else but that as i'm not cutting holes in a body that cost me nearly $50. i ended up going to the 599xx until such time i do feel like cutting holes. it's a real shame though. i like the HSV body but i like the RR spring over setup better.

bevo
2012.02.21, 06:55 PM
That sucks. I like that setup really well too. I have the low reflex suspension on another car, maybe I'll just use them with it. I was thinking maybe the carbon fiber mount would let me raise it up enough to get some clearance.

arch2b
2012.02.21, 07:01 PM
it may? wasn't an option when i tried. i tried the rr spring under, stock, etc. and always come back to the spring over. i have a painted white body i'm more inclined to cut but not just yet.

bevo
2012.02.21, 07:17 PM
I tried grinding as much plastic as I could off, and that just won't work unless your willing to actually cut out holes for it. I might go ahead and do it to the one I tried it with. I actually did cut a tiny hole in it on accident, so I guess it wouldn't matter much now anyway, no one wants to buy a body with a hole in it.

arch2b
2012.02.21, 07:21 PM
what you can do is use tape dots to cover the hole and color the tape to match the car as best as possible. it's better than looking at hole.

chad508
2012.02.21, 07:32 PM
another trick you can do is reinstall the lower metal ball and use an mr02 kingpin. it should give you the clearance you need. it will lower the overall height so you will have to adjust your spacers to get the correct spring preload you desire.

chad508
2012.02.21, 07:33 PM
also if your set on running the spring over try the spring under upside down it works real well also.

herman
2012.02.21, 09:09 PM
hmm... any pics? pls?

arch2b
2012.02.21, 09:29 PM
also if your set on running the spring over try the spring under upside down it works real well also.

I tried that. Just wasn't the same. Whatever it is about the rr spring over it just works for me.

chad508
2012.02.21, 09:43 PM
Did you try it with the 02 king pin

color01
2012.02.21, 09:54 PM
Using an 02 kingpin is definitely one of the best ways to do it. Glue the kingpin into a Delrin ball and you'll have solid, friction-free joint movement for virtually forever.

Otherwise, the other option I like is to use a PN semi-long kingpin with MA-010 springs. The spring rates are in the right range and there are many more available (thanks to PN releasing three different sets of MA-010 springs; Pro II was the set I found best) and the setup saves a little bit of weight.

machgo5go
2012.02.21, 11:34 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/HSV010002Medium-1.jpg
Drill 2 holes at no cost and done!
But in the long run, the Reflex is gone for good now & replaced it with another set of D-A-Arm.

180SX SR20
2012.02.22, 06:08 AM
awww man, you should have used a white body (MZN130)! I would have kept the ASC on the shelf. They're just to pretty to be all cut and shaved for the track. but hey, have fun with it! That drill job looks damn good, btw!

bevo
2012.02.22, 11:08 AM
I ordered the body mount that lets you adjust the height, I think it will give me the clearance I need. Hopefully it doesn't throw the handling off to much. If it doesn't work, I'll cut the holes. I'm not much for letting anything just sit on the shelf. I want to run all my bodies, if they won't fit my setup I have no need for them.

bevo
2012.02.22, 01:03 PM
I couldn't wait on the mount and went ahead and cut holes in the epson one I had been cutting on anyway. It works great now, I love the body, but it has holes in it :( I'll try the body mount out on the other I had and let you know if it gives enough clearance.

lfisminiz
2012.02.22, 03:05 PM
I couldn't wait on the mount and went ahead and cut holes in the epson one I had been cutting on anyway. It works great now, I love the body, but it has holes in it :( I'll try the body mount out on the other I had and let you know if it gives enough clearance.

Probably the easiest and best way to do it. Depending how far the king pins come up into the drilled holes, just put small decal over the holes to look better....if thats an option.

warrenC7432
2012.09.06, 01:11 PM
Try opening the knuckles from sides after you remove the body and then pull it upwards, I guess you can create a little distance by this, otherwise if nothing gets better try changing base of your HSV, which support this type of body.