PDA

View Full Version : MR-02 Board Problem? Help Please!

sower
2012.03.26, 02:32 PM
Hello everyone! My son has a stock MR-02 and we've been racing on our RCP track in the garage. Everything has been great until the last few days. After he's been racing for a little while the car will just roll to a stop. If you pick it up and let it sit for a minute it will be fine again but only for a little while. It almost seems like it gets too hot and needs to cool down.

Any ideas? We have checked connections and batteries numerous times and everything's good there. Any help would be great!

briankstan
2012.03.26, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone! My son has a stock MR-02 and we've been racing on our RCP track in the garage. Everything has been great until the last few days. After he's been racing for a little while the car will just roll to a stop. If you pick it up and let it sit for a minute it will be fine again but only for a little while. It almost seems like it gets too hot and needs to cool down.

Any ideas? We have checked connections and batteries numerous times and everything's good there. Any help would be great!

is this a stock car with the stock motor? there is a cap on the motor that is doing this. you can remove it but that will make it easier to blow fets on the board.

this is typically caused when the rails are glided on and trying to go while stuck against a rail. this overheats the cap and will shut off power. once it cools it'll come back again. it's on there to protect the board. I've seen this happen numerous times with younger and new to the hobby drivers.

As long as the driving is pretty good and he isn't putting to much load on the car you can safely remove the cap (yellow square thing) on the motor and this should resolve your problem.

KA2AEV
2012.03.26, 03:33 PM
It could also be caused by a lack of lubrication on the motor itself
Try cleaning it out and lubing it abit too
Let us know how you make out

sower
2012.03.26, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It is the stock motor and he is a younger driver. He's pretty good, but I think he's pretty heavy on the throttle and brake as he goes through batteries much faster than I do. I'll lube the motor and give him some instruction and see what happens.

Thanks again!!

TheSteve
2012.03.26, 04:02 PM
is this a stock car with the stock motor? there is a cap on the motor that is doing this. you can remove it but that will make it easier to blow fets on the board.

this is typically caused when the rails are glided on and trying to go while stuck against a rail. this overheats the cap and will shut off power. once it cools it'll come back again. it's on there to protect the board. I've seen this happen numerous times with younger and new to the hobby drivers.

As long as the driving is pretty good and he isn't putting to much load on the car you can safely remove the cap (yellow square thing) on the motor and this should resolve your problem.

Just to be clear, its not a capacitor at all, its a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) or a resettable fuse.

If it hasn't always happened then removing it is not the proper solution. You should find out what is causing the additional current draw. Common causes are binding bushings/bearings/wheels, worn out brushes on the motor, wheels/tires rubbing on the body. Remove the motor and make sure all 4 wheels spin freely.

sower
2012.03.26, 04:44 PM
Just to be clear, its not a capacitor at all, its a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) or a resettable fuse.

If it hasn't always happened then removing it is not the proper solution. You should find out what is causing the additional current draw. Common causes are binding bushings/bearings/wheels, worn out brushes on the motor, wheels/tires rubbing on the body. Remove the motor and make sure all 4 wheels spin freely.

I'll do that - thank you!

LED
2012.03.26, 05:13 PM
What kind of gearing is he using?
Do you have ball bearings on the car or is it a stock out of the box car?

sower
2012.03.26, 05:21 PM
All stock, no bearings, and I think he's using the largest pinion that came with the set.

TheSteve
2012.03.26, 07:14 PM
All stock, no bearings, and I think he's using the largest pinion that came with the set.

Heh, well thats a big hint right there, drop that pinion down, he probably won't even notice.

sower
2012.03.26, 07:20 PM
Heh, well thats a big hint right there, drop that pinion down, he probably won't even notice.

Totally agree :D