PDA

View Full Version : MB-010 Racing Setups

oXYnary
2012.04.03, 08:47 PM
Thought a thread for such would help and we can give suggestions.

My current is

Body:
Lazer ZX w/wing

Front:

Tire

Lazer Narrow
Stock Lazer Mini Pin
No Insert

Shock:

Atomic Silver Springs
500 cSt (Xray)

Toe:

Mount:

Stock Up/Low

Diff:

Stock Gear
Very thick grease used (Trinity Purple stuff meant for kingpins)

Rear

Tire

Lazer Wide
Stock Lazer Mini Pin
No Insert

Shock:

Atomic Black Springs
500 cSt (xray)

Toe

+1
Mount:

Stock Up/Low

Diff:

Stock Gear
Medium thick grease used (Ball diff grease mixed with a bit of 500 cSt oil)

Chassis Mods:
Atomic Graphite Shock Towers
Universals F/R
Optima Front Bumper

Surface:
Losi RCP surface with mixture of dusty tennis court material.

Results:
Seems like the oil may be too hard as the rear end bounces over jumps. Traction is horrible. The RCP surface especially. Otherwise it pushes HORRIBLY in the corners. Its embarrassing as my Losi Brushless SCT has a better turning radius with the knuckle mod.

I have a set of the PN racing 30 degree Type Z, but I am waiting for PN to release their inserts before using. Also have F/R ball diffs now to install, but waiting on an order for the Atomic Thrust Bearing Mod before installing. I think the new tires especially will help out, but I also wonder if there is something more I can do to decrease the turning radius without relying on a loose rear end?

cdog4w
2012.04.04, 12:18 AM
One note about the RCP surface, it's the losi rails and jumps kit, and not the normal RCP surface (which is quite grippy).

Slubben
2012.04.04, 10:58 AM
The best racing set up for AWD is to spend $500 bucks on one then sell it and buy 2 2wd cars. AWD = Money Pit.

kryten
2012.04.04, 12:03 PM
I'm testing the kyosho foams at the moment,they aren't short of grip :)
I'm using the mediums and am now looking for a bit less steering. I'm going to try a -2 tierod to see if it helps.
I've also got both the new pn tyre types to test too,i'm going to use my own foams with them.

oXYnary
2012.04.04, 06:52 PM
I'm using the mediums and am now looking for a bit less steering. I'm going to try a -2 tierod to see if it helps.
I've also got both the new pn tyre types to test too,i'm going to use my own foams with them.

Kyosho has foams? I thought only X-power made some. Not that I would use them for my setup.

-2 would give you more steering in the corner. As it makes the angle more pronounced when you turn. You would want to go with less toe-in up front.

Oh, Slubben = Onroad Troll.

billysnarf
2012.04.05, 11:37 AM

I had binding issues with the Kyosho tie rods.. I am back to stock now. Let me know if you use these with success.

Rune
2012.04.05, 01:24 PM
I have one car with binding issues with the K alu tie rods, and one car without problems.

Havent had the time finding out whats binding, but I'm guessing it could be a chassis that is warped/ broken.

oXYnary
2012.04.05, 06:38 PM
What about the thin sheets of teflon tape? Like used to be used on 1/12th damper disks. To help make it a bit more snug but still smooth.

Why make it more snug if your already binding? Quickie from Roar Nats, some peoples F1's in the widest config would rollup/out of the wheelbase roll through. One guy added the f1 logo stickers to his tires and he rolled through smoothly.

kryten
2012.04.05, 08:00 PM
Kyosho has foams? I thought only X-power made some. Not that I would use them for my setup.

-2 would give you more steering in the corner. As it makes the angle more pronounced when you turn. You would want to go with less toe-in up front.

Oh, Slubben = Onroad Troll.
Take a look at the Kyosho foams HERE (http://www.minirc.com/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=sponge%20tyre&category_id=0&description=1)
I thought a negative tie rod was toe out? So this will give me less toe in?

I had binding issues with the Kyosho tie rods.. I am back to stock now. Let me know if you use these with success.

I have a lazer and an optima,and have no issues with either car. Though i have heard of that issue on another car.

oXYnary
2012.04.05, 08:14 PM
Take a look at the Kyosho foams HERE (http://www.minirc.com/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=sponge%20tyre&category_id=0&description=1)
I thought a negative tie rod was toe out? So this will give me less toe in?

I wish Kyosho would make it easier to know whats new for the car. Their support page is useless. Those sure are pretty!

If you want, just match the rods against one another visually. The shorter ones will give you more toe-out. I cant understand why they even bothered with the toe-ins. I mean maaaaybe +1 at the most. But the need is so small they could have cut the cost the linkage kit by just having 3, or making more progressive changes (-.5,-1.5)

For straightline stability, you want less toe-out. The car will wander less. If you want more steering in corner, give more toe-out, but this makes unstable on straights and causes wheel scrub.

To-In on the front while used sometimes for on-road 4wd and like very dusty tracks, is almost non existent in off-road.