PDA

View Full Version : KT-18 convert to Module 901SM

Joel2010
2012.04.09, 01:04 AM
Is the kt-18 module can be converted to regular module 901sm? , I mean if anyone has tried it?

TheSteve
2012.04.09, 01:34 AM
The 2.4ghz portion looks the same or very similar however the 901sm module has a PIC processor which converts the incoming PPM signal to serial data for the 2.4ghz portion - so there is no easy conversion.

imxlr8ed
2012.04.09, 10:30 AM
My module in my Helios stopped binding with my cars so I took apart one of my KT18s, yanked the little black box in there and swapped it with the one in the module. My Helios has been working just fine since. Had to re-bind everything though once I did the swap.

I have no idea why the module stopped binding, really bums me out that I had to gut a KT18. Once I did the swap, I tried to use the KT again and it won't let me bind so I'm guessin that little thing is fried somehow.

TheSteve
2012.04.09, 04:35 PM
My module in my Helios stopped binding with my cars so I took apart one of my KT18s, yanked the little black box in there and swapped it with the one in the module. My Helios has been working just fine since. Had to re-bind everything though once I did the swap.

I have no idea why the module stopped binding, really bums me out that I had to gut a KT18. Once I did the swap, I tried to use the KT again and it won't let me bind so I'm guessin that little thing is fried somehow.

The fix in this thread would likely fix your 2.4ghz module so you have both operating again:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37668

Joel2010
2012.04.10, 12:16 AM
The 2.4ghz portion looks the same or very similar however the 901sm module has a PIC processor which converts the incoming PPM signal to serial data for the 2.4ghz portion - so there is no easy conversion.

If not mistaken Grant M. has done it on his Ko mars.

yasuji
2012.04.10, 01:21 AM
If not mistaken Grant M. has done it on his Ko mars.

i/we did not do a conversion....we actually gutted a ex1ur and a kt18 and installes the kt 18 board in to the ur case.....basically just a kt18 in a better feeling radio
:o

gctkaz
2014.02.08, 09:08 PM
Bringing back an old thread, but I recently stumbled across a Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/wowjklim/feed) with a number of interesting Mini-Z and other mini RC-related DIY hacks, including one of the KTSS-701 found in the KT-18 rigged up to some AVR. This person is based in S.Korea from what I gather, and seems to know something about the module that we (or at least I) don't.

If the PPM from a radio can be decoded to whatever his AVR setup wants, then I think conversion of KT-18 to module can be well possible. At the very least, his hack with adding a LCD screen and model memory to the KT-18 suggests to me the possibility of adding more sophisticated functionality like steering curves to the KT-18.

TheSteve
2014.02.08, 10:14 PM
Make it happen Geoff. Decoding PPM is very easy with an AVR, use the ICP pin. (This is how my home brew 2.4 ghz system works)

chad508
2014.02.09, 12:02 AM
is it possible to use the guts out of a kt18 to mod into a 4pk like you can a 901 module? i have been trying to find a cheap module but have had no luck, a kt18 i can get all day cheap

TheSteve
2014.02.09, 12:19 AM
The simple answer is no.

The long answer is that a very cool version of it could be done if someone took the time to decode the high speed serial protocol the 4PK uses internally. And then also decoded the serial data the kt18 module is capable of accepting, finally a converter would need to be built to translate one protocol to the other. This is something I started work on but lost interest and just used the 901sm module.