PDA

View Full Version : ip banned ???

reaper
2012.04.14, 04:32 PM
so this is now the forth time i have logged in only to receive the message " sorry the administration has banned your ip address"
what's the crack guys this happens once a week for the last couple of months or so

oXYnary
2012.04.14, 06:03 PM
so this is now the forth time i have logged in only to receive the message " sorry the administration has banned your ip address"
what's the crack guys this happens once a week for the last couple of months or so

Cable? You probably are sharing an IP range with someone who was banned. So when your IP is changed by the Cable company (about once a week), you might end up on the IP the banned person was using at the time.

reaper
2012.04.15, 10:36 AM
nope not cable and as far as im aware the majority of spam ip,s eminate from hong kong or india not the middle of the UK lol

arch2b
2012.04.15, 11:01 AM
managing spam is the not so glorious side of moderating sites. it's been a problem that only continues to get worse and all tools used thus far have not eliminated the problem. over the years, the banned ip address list has grown extensive. unless you purchased a static ip address, your provider could be rotating you through addresses that are currently on our list. yes, we get spam from the uk. we get it from everywhere. please send the moderators your current address and we will remove it from the master list. reality is, we cannot clear all uk addresses and will have to work with you when problems arise. if anyone happens to find their ip address banned, simply get in touch with a moderator to have it cleared. it's not always immediate, we all have lives outside this forum afterall, but we strive to resolve all these issues as quickly as possible. i'm sorry you seem to be caught in a loop but rest assured i will be here to fix it this and every other time. :p

reaper
2012.04.15, 11:23 AM
thanks arch i know its a pita moderating forums i myself am admin and mod on quite a few forums :-)
As you said it just seems to be a loop im ok for a few days then it comes round again and pow im banned
I do just as you advised and contact one of the staff and they do sort the issue out very quickly , but maybe this is just extra work that you guys could do without

arch2b
2012.04.15, 11:52 AM
i really wish this didn't happen, it's time i'd rather spend on the forums but it's the price we pay for an open forum and running VB. they don't have really effective controls for spam. or if they do, we haven't found the right combination of settings:confused:

oXYnary
2012.04.15, 06:48 PM
Curious, is this through a wireless network? What service are you using to reach the site?

India, Thailand, Pakistan, Ukraine, and China are the largest contributors. Most UK spam I have seen comes from hosting companies.

(Experience from moderating a different RC site)

FWIW If unknown. This site is a godsend.
http://www.stopforumspam.com/