PDA

View Full Version : Whistler Summer Race Series discussion

cowboysir
2012.04.20, 10:53 PM
Thought I'd start this thread because I figure I'm about a month away from hosting.

News from whistler:

1. Got the track pieces all swapped from straight bump to regular straights.

2. I'm hoping that we can come a consensus on the power levels on GT1 and GT2 catagories.

3. Total random sidenote: Got a Bradley Smoker for my birthday so foods on race day should be pretty awesome this year.

4. Ryan: can I get a copy of your track layout program so I'll be able to plan layouts and post them here? Thanks in advance.

TheSteve
2012.04.20, 11:58 PM
Derek - download zround from here - http://www.giro-z.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=13

Part of the package is a track layout program that is very good, I find its quicker/easier to use then the program Ryan is currently using.

cowboysir
2012.04.21, 12:36 PM
I must be stupid because I cant find the track layout part of the program after downloading...:rolleyes:

TheSteve
2012.04.21, 07:00 PM
Unless they removed it from the latest build it should appear as a separate program under the Zround Race timing header/folder.

RFick73
2012.04.23, 07:38 AM
Cowboy, can you explain a bit about these GT1 & GT2 categories you want to run in Whistler?

Also, didja get the giro-z software to work?
I'll toss a .zip together with the RCP Track Editor software I run & place it somewhere for ya to nab.

I like it as I have made my own pieces that it didn't come with, but when I have some time, I'll be sure to check out the giro-z software.

The ONE thing I don't like about what I'm using is I cannot layout 45 degree sections with ANY east at all!
That, and it starts to run slow for deleting pieces once you start to fill in the screen.

But heck, it's an older program.
Wish I knew how to program so I could fiddle with it...

RFick73
2012.04.23, 07:41 AM
Hey Cowboy, unless I'm blind, I cannot find anything about this smoker you said you posted about in this forum topic!?

cowboysir
2012.04.23, 08:52 AM
Topic 3...you must be blind. :)

I propose that since we all like running together at different power levels we catagorize each persons transponder before the gtg.

Like ALMS, GT1 is the most powerful so if we decide "open mod motor/open Fet" is a classification for our GT1....

The biggest reason I'd like this classification is so when we have all levels of racer on the same page they'll be able to say "I may be 8 laps down overall but I'm second in my catagory!"

Thoughts?

RFick73
2012.04.23, 08:56 AM
I like for sure!

I've often just categorized it as Stock, Mod & AWD....

Okay, I MUST be Blind, because this is only post # 8 in this thread & I don;t see NADA about a smoker!? :confused:

cowboysir
2012.04.23, 10:02 AM
3. Total random sidenote: Got a Bradley Smoker for my birthday so foods on race day should be pretty awesome this year.

Anyhow, we just need to qualify what our thoughts on GT2 power levels should be:

GT1 can be open motor and open Fet
GT3 could be bone stock (with minor upgrades like bearings/tires)

I'd like to see GT2 be a stock Fet profile but I'm open to suggestion on motor level.

Sooner or later we will need to talk about F1 as well

RFick73
2012.04.23, 11:13 AM
Holy cows.. I AM blind.

I read that post like 3 times!
But then, I expected pictures or a link & stuff!

Hope to make use of it soon!

Sorry man, with my kids impending due date looming closer & closer, my brains just running that much more amuck!

cowboysir
2012.04.24, 10:07 AM
To answer one of your earlier questions, I did find the right software generation to get the track builder.

It works great yet I wish I could make one program change...it has just one "rotate" only rotates clockwise so it takes a couple clicks to orient the piece sometimes.

Got a fun layout started...technical yet flowy. The first race of the season should be a good one

RFick73
2012.04.24, 10:39 AM
I'll have to try that software next then!

Hope ta see ya again in two weeks!

cowboysir
2012.05.01, 11:37 AM
I hope to make an announcement at the Newton GTG about the summer series. I know many racers will be more inclined to race 10th scale over the summer so I hope to get the word to everyone that rainy days (ie: non 10th race days) can be a fun time in the whistler underground with mini Z's.

Do you think we should get a roll call thread so we can see who frequents this board? Guys like Bak Choi, Simon and others should at least get into lurking for info...

RFick73
2012.05.01, 02:43 PM
Can't wait to get up ta Whistler this year!!!

As for role call, let's wait till after this Sunday.

We'll have a formal actual meeting during the GTG.

We can then make sure everyone is aware of this Forum, our F******k & Twitter accounts.

And then after that, we can post up something for those that missed out.
I've also made sure that I included the info in the mailouts as well. :)

DaveW
2012.05.02, 01:52 AM
I didn't make it last year and heard about all the great times I missed.
camping!
This year I'm going to plan around it to make sure I'm there!

xmodcanuck
2012.05.02, 02:21 AM
Thought I'd start this thread because I figure I'm about a month away from hosting.

As you know I'm always in for a road trip, especially when it involves some Z-racing.

Aaaahhh smoked deliciousness. You are Z-host with the most.

(Just please don't schedule them for days I am auto-crossing.)

RFick73
2012.05.05, 11:19 AM
Just an update as that link is incorrect.

The correct link is >>HERE (http://www.zround.com/request.php?45)<<
ZRound Suite 1.12.6

I gave it a try, but so far, the issue I have with it is that I cannot easy simulate the 45Degree corner pieces.
It will work for someone with the 50cm pieces pretty well, it also doesn't have the middle start/finish tiles.

I havn't put much into it, but it doesn't look like it has an easy way for me to make my own tiles like the software I am currently running does.

It is speedy, I'll give it that! Someone needs to update them both or make their own software!

Derek - download zround from here - http://www.giro-z.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=13

Part of the package is a track layout program that is very good, I find its quicker/easier to use then the program Ryan is currently using.

cowboysir
2012.05.09, 10:27 AM
So after the various discussions at the last GTG it looks like the only real weekend available for the start of the Whistler series is June 10. Earlier dates conflict with Surrey GTG and later dates conflict with other events (including Canada Day:rolleyes:). It's seems to be the least conflicting Sunday even though the Canadian GP is on...you guys know how much I love my F1 so be amazed that I'm willing to build a big track on the same day:eek:

Who's in?

RFick73
2012.05.09, 10:39 AM
That day works for me!

Now, just need me a ride! :rolleyes:

cowboysir
2012.05.09, 05:38 PM
Another thought is we could hold theJune 3 GTG in Whistler.

Ryan likes the idea (suggested it to me actually) and then we wouldn't be racing 2 weeks in a row.

Sound good? Let's get some posts so I know if I have to get the underground swept.(just in case of rain)

RFick73
2012.05.09, 05:49 PM
This option gives everyone 3 weeks to prep.

I think it would be a great start to summer to head up to Whistler for the 3rd!

It's also a little further away from my little one's due date so maybe I would actually enjoy myself while gone. ;)

What does everyone else think? Y'all up for getting up to Whistler in 3 weeks time?

We'll push for another local Surrey GTG for 2-3 weeks after the Whistler date if it's convenient.

Once we get a conscensus, I'll update the main GTG post.

cowboysir
2012.05.14, 01:50 PM
I'd really like to see some discussion on the idea of June 3 in Whistler:

1. Since I'm solo building it's almost 3 hours at a sweaty pace to get all my track laid out.
2. If its indoor due to weather that's another hour or so for loading the truck.
3. I'd like to get an idea of numbers so I can figure out how many racks of ribs to put on.

No response or consensus means I drive down to you guys on the 3rd...I don't care one way or the other if it's a "no" reply but I have to get some answers soon.

xmodcanuck
2012.05.14, 10:25 PM
I think maybe a lot of the people that show up don't come here very often. Maybe get Ryan to do a group email as he seems to have most people's emails. (And maybe also throw something up on CRC, even just a link to here.)

I personally am very torn. As you know, I love coming to your place to race, and the likelihood that this year there will be smoked ribs makes it an even more delicious trip. The only thing is, I am now an auto-x junky and there is one scheduled on the 2nd, and at that event Scion is giving the club a couple brand new FR-S's for everyone to have a run with. This is very tempting.

I think if it's in Surrey on the 2nd, I'll go auto-x. If it's decided to be in Whistler, I'm in for Whistler. (Got a spare room? I'll come up Saturday and be there to help on Sunday morning.)

gctkaz
2012.05.15, 12:25 AM
Derek,

Thanks for offering to host. At this point it looks like I can make it to Whistler for June 03, but I probably won't be there early enough to help you build...

DaveW
2012.05.15, 01:50 AM
Just back from 5 days camping and no computers/internet - been great!
June 3rd in whistler sounds great to me!
I've been dying to see what I missed out on last year!
What's the schedule for the day?

RFick73
2012.05.23, 09:20 AM
The next Club GTG in Whistler has been E-Mailed out and posted up!

>>HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=433281&postcount=6)<<

Come on up, have some fun & eat some yummy BBQ Ribs! :D

RFick73
2012.05.23, 12:40 PM
Please contact me if you interested in car pooling with the others that are going.

cowboysir
2012.05.23, 08:47 PM
fooling around with a track layout...thoughts?

I would say it might be a little too straight in places but the technical bits would have a decent line without it being overwhelmingly difficult.

RFick73
2012.05.23, 11:11 PM
Looks good to me!

Besides, once you get a base layout done, you can always change it up a bit afterwards.

DaveW
2012.05.24, 01:28 AM
That's awesome. It's like 24 x 32 ft.
Its got some curves, but not to hard to navigate and some serious straights.
Its gonna be fast! Can't wait!

Markfrmsry
2012.05.24, 08:56 PM
I cant pass this up im in!:cool:

gctkaz
2012.05.29, 02:41 AM
Actually, I have known for a long time that I have an important exam on the 8th, but I thought I would have things under control. I'm a bit behind schedule on my preparations so I think I should keep my priorities in order and skip this meet. Sorry about this, Derek. At least nobody had contacted me for carpooling so I don't feel too much more guilty about bailing out...

RFick73
2012.05.29, 09:58 AM
gctkaz, I'm sorry but I cannot let you give up an opportunity to come have some fun, blow off some steam from your finals & eat some succulent ribs! :cool:

Study harder NOW so you can come play! :D

That is all! ;)

cowboysir
2012.06.04, 10:33 AM
So it turns out that the first GTG of the Whistler Series was a great success!

1.The location worked well for a huge track layout but was still a bit chilly.
2. Wound up with a good group of racers all on the track and except for some savage "drive through the guy in front" passing (you all know who you are :rolleyes:) there was some quality racing each heat.
3. Those of you who left early missed out on some tasty rib action....:p

The next Whistler GTG is slated for July 15 which will be 3 weeks after the next Surrey event.

I'll figure out some photos to post (and maybe Terry will share his vid)

DaveW
2012.06.05, 01:43 AM
That was awesome!
1) Scenic drive to Whistler - little traffic on a Sunday morn'
2) Super layout in the underground parkade (it was raining and cold outside).
3) Huge track - that was sweet!
4) Then the reward for all our efforts - RIBLICIOUS RIBS. That was the best!
5) Leisurely drive home - also scenic!

Thanks Cowboysir!
Special mention to RFick73 and Xmodcanuck who drove up the night before to help Cowboysir get the track down before we got there.
Also thanks to Sarah who made dinner which included "dem bones"
Thanks again to all that made this possible.
Can't wait till July 15th.

xmodcanuck
2012.06.07, 12:25 AM
Derek is truly the greatest race host ever. And what a lucky man to have such a wonderful wife, Sarah, as his co-host. Traveled the night before to help set up enormous track in the morning, (it would have been too much work for one person) and got treated to a delicious breakfast in the morning.

A great day of racing was had by all. There was some fierce competition, or maybe some would say there was a lot of pushing and shoving.

The day ended with a belly stuffing home cooked rib dinner. I was in a meat coma. It was great.

Thanks Derek and Sarah. Can't wait for the next one.

cowboysir
2012.06.09, 12:23 PM
I wound up with just a couple photos from the day:

All of my track just fits into the back of my 2011 Chevy Silverado with an 8 foot box.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/005-5.jpg

Track design laid out (conditions were called "twilight and cool" for race day)
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/006-6.jpg

Once I figure out my laptop a bit more I'll call up the race results and post them here. Eventually RFick will get the results to his database to keep everyone tracks through the summer season.

cowboysir
2012.06.10, 02:02 AM
One of our members (4mods if anyone recognizes the name from other forums) has a youtube page and here is his editing efforts from June 3rd. He doesn't think showing mini-z's in real time speeds is interesting to watch so he gets a bit artsy...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WEi7cIktis&feature=player_embedded

RFick73
2012.06.27, 09:17 AM
The next Whistler tentative date is Sunday, July the 15th.

Be on the lookout for the official posting here & in your inbox.

gctkaz
2012.07.02, 12:49 AM
I thought I had replied a long time ago, I don't know if the forum has been dropping messages or something.

I'm going to be driving to Edmonton on the 9th and staying a few days, I'm not sure if I will be back in time to make it to the meet. Argh!!!

RFick73
2012.07.06, 09:26 AM
The next Whistler GTG has FINALLY been posted >>HERE<< (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=434336&postcount=8)!!!

Come on up and have some fun with us in Whistler!

cowboysir
2012.07.06, 01:36 PM
I'll be posting both an indoor and outdoor layout because the space requirements are much different.

Hope the sunny weather stays with us...outdoor mini z is super fun.

xmodcanuck
2012.07.07, 11:16 PM
or just pop by the underground first as it's along the way.

Just a quick note. This part is incorrect. The underground turnoff (Lake Placid Rd) is 3.5km past the turnoff to Derek's place (Cheakamus Lake Rd).

cowboysir
2012.07.09, 02:03 PM
For those members thinking of this Sunday's mini z race I'm unfortunately going to have to cancel the Whistler GTG. I've finally found a doc to deal with the searing foot pain I've been dealing with since February and I'll be off my foot for a couple days from late wednsday onwards.

Sorry guys...hope Dave can organize something for you in surrey.

gctkaz
2012.07.10, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your foot issue, Derek. I guess you've just been hiding it well. Hope the doc can do something about it.

I'm pretty sure I still won't be back in Vancouver for Sunday anyway, whether there would be a meet at Whistler or Newton. Anyway, it has been a lovely week outside, enjoy the rest!

DaveW
2012.07.10, 01:25 AM
Derek, glad to hear you've getting some relief for your foot. Wishing the best for you. :)

So sad, no ribs that night. :eek:

Ryan texted me earlier and we're a go!
Clubhouse is booked.
The council has given us a go ahead to setup in the rv parking lot.
So, weather permitting, we may play outside! :cool:

Rfick73 to follow-up with all the postings and details.

RFick73
2012.07.11, 11:26 PM
New post has been placed up >>HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=434464&postcount=9)<<

cowboysir
2012.08.17, 10:22 AM
Measurements for space requirement this afternoon so track layout will be created this weekend.

Thinking of pulled pork sandwiches for the after BBQ...

Hope this entices guys to make the drive!

cowboysir
2012.08.19, 12:48 PM
my thoughts for a layout for next weekend:

The measurements for Zround designer dont allow (at least i cant figure it) irregular shapes so the start finish area will be a bit longer and allow for a pit lane.

I'd like to start the box stock motor discussion...I believe if we level the playing field speed wise then we should reduce the amount of trash talk about ambitious passes/driving through the lead car to gain advantage.

i know its all in good fun but in my view racing is about clean driving for the win. There are very few of us (myself included) that focus on ultra clean driving. I'm working on my skills to promote fair driving practices so I think box stock/70T or matching speed checker via TX should be a way of leveleing the field.

cowboysir
2012.08.23, 10:16 AM
Decided that a prize will be in the offering for this weekend race:

Instead of a points system or finishing position tally I will be instituting a poker race!

1.Finishing position gives you placement to draw a card
2. Five races will give each racer a poker hand
3. Best hand will win the prize!

Prize will be a full wheelset, front and rear Kyosho tires taped (and glued if you want) to a rim set in appropriate offset. (I hope)

RFick73
2012.08.23, 12:42 PM
That sounds awesome!

I just wish I had a better motor pod.
I'll have to buy one soon.
Swapping out my motor may not be the easiest until then.

That's where the speed checker comes in.

I've wanted to do this @ our local races, make a limit race and just pick a speed & limit everyone's end point.

It's not a perfect leveling, but, at least it limits the fastest we can go!

Can't wait for this weekend!

What do your weather reports show?
I'm seeing like 22Degrees, Partly Sunny with a 40%OP :confused:

cowboysir
2012.08.23, 01:36 PM
I'm seeing part cloud but haven't seen a p.o.p...

Edit/ cloudy w 30%...let's hope that improves or gets worse. That way I have a set decision instead of setting at home and maybe getting rained out.

gctkaz
2012.08.25, 03:01 PM
At this point in time I am still planning to make the trip up to Whistler to enjoy Derek & Sarah's hospitality. Can't say no to pulled pork sandwiches! That would definitely entice me to stick around and help with teardown ;)

How will the power situation be? I have a spare car battery and an inverter but no way to connect the inverter to the battery....

I am leaving my AWD and 015 as they were at Mark's last meet, but I have my stock 015 motor in a plastic motor pod and my stock AWD motor both in my box of stuff to bring, so I would be prepared to race in stock motor class with either vehicle as long as I have a few minutes to swap the motors.

gctkaz
2012.08.27, 12:48 AM
Thank you for hosting the meet, Derek. Many compliments to your wife for the delicious meal she prepared. There was some really tight racing today from all participants. I'm glad I made the trip up this morning!

...but maybe I should also say I'm glad I made the trip back home this evening too :p

DaveW
2012.08.28, 01:35 AM
Wow that was a blast!
Weather was perfect. As was everything else.
Thanks again to Derek and Sarah for hosting another day to remember!
Great track time and great food - an excellent combo.

Can't wait for the next one!

cowboysir
2012.09.05, 09:24 PM
This was our track from the August 26th GTG...the layout turned out excellent with an 11.xx being the fastest of the day.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/CowboySiR/027.jpg

I have some thoughts about the next GTG in Whistler:

I think we should have a control tire race! As a laugh I have quite a few Kyosho 40's that i had planned on using for an AWD and since they are unused we could conceivably have everyone suit up a set. i know grip would be limited but it'd be fun to see everyone suffering through the same lack of grip and work on being smooth with their power delivery (with no spinning).

If we don't have a control tire, I believe that at the very least we should ban the use of foams amongst the rubber tire crew. The grip differences (and therefore entry/exit speed) shows a real advantage on my track so with the limiting of motor performance via TX we should also consider a bit more leveling.

Finally I wanted everyone know i will be creating a bigger pit lane with a more difficult entry and exit so drive through penalties that are enforced will take effort.:D

Ryan, i will get those results to you....just haven't fired up my laptop recently. If I don't see before the next one we'll plan on a memory stick for transfering data to you.

RFick73
2012.09.06, 09:45 AM
I like the idea of having fun with our racing.
Even if the all the same tire race is just once or twice, or if it's throughout the day!

I'll never give up my foams though!
I didn;t just spend a bunch of money on the foams & a truer to not use um.
Yes, I understand I can swap easily & I've finally gotten myself a few sets of bearings, I think I'm just a bit low on rims.

Should be easy enough to figure out!

I'm game either way, I just enjoy the fun we all have.

Derek, hopefully you may just feel like driving down for the say on Sat anyhow just to come say hi!

You will be missed if not & we'll see ya on the 23rd!

cowboysir
2012.09.06, 10:29 AM
Saturday isn't going to work out. I'm making progress with my nerve issues in my wrists but it's getting closer to the source of the issue which is my upper back.

My active work and lifestyle is catching up to me...here's to getting some days off soon.:D

Take lots of pics of the event!

TheSteve
2012.09.06, 02:40 PM
The drive down would likely break you anyway with the closures on Saturday.

I'm all for a few races with the same spec tires and motors, Whistler or Surrey, it would be fun anywhere.

cowboysir
2012.09.08, 07:09 PM
I'm all for a few races with the same spec tires and motors, Whistler or Surrey, it would be fun anywhere.

Does this mean i'll actually get you to come to Whistler for the last of the Summer race Series?

cowboysir
2012.09.12, 04:31 PM
We should probably call an end to the whistler series...it's too cold in the morning now to get up here and race. (2 degrees Celsius this morning)

Newton booked? I'm feeling a lot better so I'll probably be coming down.

xmodcanuck
2012.09.14, 01:19 AM
We should probably call an end to the whistler series...it's too cold in the morning now to get up here and race. (2 degrees Celsius this morning)

It's your call. I'd still be up for it. I think we all own pants and long sleeve shirts. What's the temp like at 9/10am? That's about when we started setting up last couple times.

RFick73
2012.09.14, 09:42 AM
Derek,

Are you still inquiring about the indoor location in Whistler?

Dave W has booked the room in Newton for the 23rd.

Do we want to do it in the parking lot again with a bit layout if the weather is nice?

cowboysir
2012.09.14, 10:26 AM
We could pull off an outdoor Newton event.

I haven't got any progress on indoor Whistler venue.

I just don't think Whistler is going to work out...for example yesterday it was 12 celcius in the shade for most of the day and the ground is staying cool. Therefore the track would be seriously low on grip...it's unlikely that all these combining factors will get many to take the drive up here.

We can talk further about a Newton outdoor as the weather reports get more consistent as the date gets closer.;)

RFick73
2012.09.15, 10:38 AM
We would be MORE than happy to host you here in Newton Cowboy!

I hope you will be able to make it!
I'll send out the newletter this weekend sometime.

Not entirely sure when as i got some heartbreaking news on Thursday.
My shifts have changed for the next 3 months & I am now working on Sundays. =/

My boss has said he will do what he can to cover the 23rd for me.
Any other dates, I may not be able to make for the next while on a Sunday.
But, I can always swap a shift here & there.
I have only been there for just over 3 months now so I'm the low man on the totem & I don't have much vacation time acrued as of yet.

I will still help organize the next few GTG's, I just may not be able to attend them all.

I need a volunteer to step up to take my place at the events I'm unable to attend, if anyone is interested, please PM me.

Teamcsimon
2012.09.16, 02:19 AM
We would be MORE than happy to host you here in Newton Cowboy!

I hope you will be able to make it!
I'll send out the newletter this weekend sometime.

Not entirely sure when as i got some heartbreaking news on Thursday.
My shifts have changed for the next 3 months & I am now working on Sundays. =/

My boss has said he will do what he can to cover the 23rd for me.
Any other dates, I may not be able to make for the next while on a Sunday.
But, I can always swap a shift here & there.
I have only been there for just over 3 months now so I'm the low man on the totem & I don't have much vacation time acrued as of yet.

I will still help organize the next few GTG's, I just may not be able to attend them all.

I need a volunteer to step up to take my place at the events I'm unable to attend, if anyone is interested, please PM me.

Perhaps it can be switched to saturdays if possible.

RFick73
2012.09.16, 09:12 AM
Perhaps it can be switched to saturdays if possible.

Only problem with Saturdays is I work a second job on Saturdays.
Typically Sundays were my only day off.
Also, both Dave's also work Saturdays. =/

Sundays seem to work the best for the brunt of the crew.

But, if there is a call for a Saturday GTG, I would be willing to see what I could do to work that out.

DaveW
2012.09.19, 01:18 AM
We could pull off an outdoor Newton event.

I haven't got any progress on indoor Whistler venue.

I just don't think Whistler is going to work out...for example yesterday it was 12 celcius in the shade for most of the day and the ground is staying cool. Therefore the track would be seriously low on grip...it's unlikely that all these combining factors will get many to take the drive up here.

We can talk further about a Newton outdoor as the weather reports get more consistent as the date gets closer.;)

When we ran outdoors (Whistler and Surrey) the track was smokin' hot in the sun (like 145F) and traction sucked. As the day progressed and the track was in the shade, traction improved. I'm thinking that a cooler track makes for a better track. Perhaps when the temp gets low enough it starts to get bad again - I dont know.

Perhaps we'll gather more traction data in Newton this Sunday!
As Ryan mentioned, the room is booked.
The weather looks good for the outdoor setup. :cool: (we'll take some track temps again).

As always, any additional help to setup is appreciated. The more hands to help, the faster we can start putting down some laps. :)

Derek, were you/are you planning on bringing any additional track down so we can go bigger? ;)

cowboysir
2012.09.19, 02:27 AM
Sorry Dave but the wife is coming down with me to shop...no extra track. sorry.

It might be best to have an indoor if there isn't the goods to stretch out a track layout.:o

DaveW
2012.09.20, 02:30 AM
Sorry Dave but the wife is coming down with me to shop...no extra track. sorry.

It might be best to have an indoor if there isn't the goods to stretch out a track layout.:o

It's all good - I kinda thought it was going that way! :)

If the weather continues to co-operate I think we'll still be outside. :cool:

Inside we use 3/4 of our track and its close to wall-to-wall. There'll be lotsa time for that when the rain comes.

We can still stretch our legs a bit as this might be our last chance for an outdoor event!

RFick73
2013.07.21, 12:21 AM
Apparently I didn't send out an official posting for tomorrows GTG in Whistler.

I also figured I'd put it here instead as it's for Whistler.

It's just a link, but here's all the info you need to know!

http://eepurl.com/Ci95n

gctkaz
2013.07.22, 12:40 AM
Sweet, sweet layout. So much room to move, and the weather was perfect - comfortably warm, at least in the shade! Sorry about the dirty track. DaveH's paw prints were cleaned up so I was pretty sure the vacuum was doing its thing properly!

Big thanks to the gracious hosts cowboysir and missus for all the effort in putting on this event.

TheSteve
2013.07.22, 01:16 AM
I missed out yet again! Instead I trimmed a few holly bushes(was 5 hours) I am sure you guys had a much better time...

DaveW
2013.07.22, 02:35 AM
Super layout - flowed well - Kudos to Cowboy's design!

As always - a great drive - sea to sky never disappoints.

Weather was excellent.

Track surface temps ranged from around 65' in the sun, and 22' in the shade.
This made for some interesting changes in how the cars handled as the sunny and shady parts changed during the day.
There was almost always a nice cooling breeze that kept it comfortable even gusting enough to flip part of the track at one point.

Lots of excellent battles for various placing's in each race!
Everyone was running so fast today - it just seems to work!

Great grub - pizza for lunch and Burgers off the Q with potato salad for dinner
Compliments to both Derek and Sarah for the great meal. :D

I hope we can coax our hosts to do it again later in the summer. ;)

cowboysir
2013.07.22, 12:48 PM
We will have to see...I might be into a layout for end of August but F1 schedule and weather dependent.

Thanks again to everyone who made it out. Everything went so smoothly it was an effortlessly fun day.

cowboysir
2013.07.24, 07:54 PM
Ok...done a bit of investigating:

August 25 is the sunday of the Belgian GP...and with Spa Francorchamps being my favorite race track in the whole of the "classic" venues I say I'm not a huge fan of that day for a mini-z GTG at my house. It could be done but here are the other issues involved...

1.Aug 11 is the next Newton event
2. August 18 could work but it's only 1 week between events
3. Sept 2 is the Labor Day long weekend.

If people are Ok with 1 week spacing I'd say running a GTG on the 18th is preferable to running on the 25th. If the 25th works better for all (spacing of events) then I'll want a commitment from people to get here and help set. Dave and I did a good job of getting most of the track laid out by 945-10ish but that was without an F1 distraction.

Better believe I'm watching the race before doing anything else mini-z related.:D

so...18th or 25th?

The G
2013.07.25, 01:00 AM
I posted this in the wrong area yesterday. I was unaware of a dedicated whistler thread. Thanks Derek, for hosting in my opinion the best track layout and event of the year. Well worth the drive. I loved the elevation changes and off camber corners. The racing was great and the extra bonus was the burgers. I'm in for the 18th. I will leave my house earlier next time.

DaveW
2013.07.25, 01:23 AM
It's your call at the end of the day but I'd say go with the 18th. :)

We'll work around it here!

Either date - I'm there! :D

Ok...done a bit of investigating:

August 25 is the sunday of the Belgian GP...and with Spa Francorchamps being my favorite race track in the whole of the "classic" venues I say I'm not a huge fan of that day for a mini-z GTG at my house. It could be done but here are the other issues involved...

1.Aug 11 is the next Newton event
2. August 18 could work but it's only 1 week between events
3. Sept 2 is the Labor Day long weekend.

If people are Ok with 1 week spacing I'd say running a GTG on the 18th is preferable to running on the 25th. If the 25th works better for all (spacing of events) then I'll want a commitment from people to get here and help set. Dave and I did a good job of getting most of the track laid out by 945-10ish but that was without an F1 distraction.

Better believe I'm watching the race before doing anything else mini-z related.:D

so...18th or 25th?

cowboysir
2013.07.25, 04:17 PM
I think ill answer 2 threads in one:

1. Super unlikely Dave will get a turnout for August 4 (that wasn't forward to Sept 4, right?) being the long weekend. I know I'm not going anywhere but around here when they're too many stupid people traveling on a holiday weekend.

That being said and we keep aug 11, Ill schedule the Whistler GTG for Aug 25. It gives us 2 weeks between, avoids holidays and with Grant (and maybe others?) here a bit earlier we can make the event run smoothly.

Lets just hope Ferrari have a good race weekend so I'm not in a pissy mood:D

Aug 25 weather dependent is a go.

DaveW
2013.07.26, 12:19 AM
Aug 11th stands.

Reserved the clubhouse as plan "B" for the 25th.

cowboysir
2013.08.01, 06:56 PM
i think i found out some news that affects the 25th in whistler:

The Whistler Ironman Triathlon is on august 25th. The long and short of it is that the course will screw any chance of getting to Whistler without delays on the highway.

I'd say we should race in dave's clubhouse....you will not like hitting delays on the way up and then joining the thousands of visitors heading down at the end of the day.:(

DaveW
2013.08.02, 11:43 PM
The Whistler Ironman Triathlon is on august 25th. The long and short of it is that the course will screw any chance of getting to Whistler without delays on the highway.

I'd say we should race in dave's clubhouse....you will not like hitting delays on the way up and then joining the thousands of visitors heading down at the end of the day.:(

That pretty much says it all - bummer!

Venue's changed, but we're still a go for the 25th!

Updates will be posted in the 2013 Mini-Z GTG Season thread.

cowboysir
2014.04.25, 10:35 AM
Update!

1. I hope to host three events this summer 2014
2. I'll be reviewing the Whistler events calander to try and avoid days that clash and keep travel stress free for you Vancouverites.
3. Thinking about a couple custom "one off body" for the most consistent points scorer of the events...that means I will be developing a format for qualifiers and race heats in 2 catagories (which will be 70 turn-open and full mod)

Stay tuned guys.

cowboysir
2014.06.08, 11:41 PM
Looks like July 6 is the first event of the season.

Better plan ahead for chassis with different power levels. I want to reproduce some close racing so there will be catagory racing:

1. "stock" will be either Kyosho stock motor or PN 70T
2. "Mod" will be any choice of motor under 50T

Everyone will be racing on rubber tires, obviously.

Stay tuned for a layout.

DaveW
2014.06.10, 01:41 AM
Looks like July 6 is the first event of the season.

Better plan ahead for chassis with different power levels. I want to reproduce some close racing so there will be catagory racing:

1. "stock" will be either Kyosho stock motor or PN 70T
2. "Mod" will be any choice of motor under 50T

Everyone will be racing on rubber tires, obviously.

Stay tuned for a layout.

Super thanks to yourself and Sarah for hosting again - I can't wait!!! :D

Quick question though, for those that have them, how do the brushless fit into the category's?

PS: PN 70T on it's way! :cool:

cowboysir
2014.06.23, 04:14 PM
For those who didn't make yesterday's gtg...

I have a ton of work lined up and will not be able to host on July 6. I might be able to drive down to Newton but my energy level will not be adequate for hosting the massive build and BBQ for those staying for dinner.

Anyhow...stay tuned for a possible late July date (just need to check Whist activities so driving won't be a drama)

gctkaz
2014.08.25, 12:13 AM
Terrific day to play, after my absence of a few months. Weather could not have been better - sunny with clouds in just the right place through the entire day. Thanks The G for bringing a BBQ grill to make lunch for all of us, that was really thoughtful and appreciated (sharing the pit table also!).

Thanks once again cowboysir and Mrs.cowboysir for the grand effort to host us for the day + dinner. The brownies were supreme.

.......maybe the day could have been better, but a 6.5/10 vacuuming is all you're gonna get from me!

TheSteve
2014.08.25, 01:06 AM
I had a great time today! It was super fun running the eco brushless in the mr03. Thanks for the great track and opening your home up for the event Derek!

The G
2014.08.25, 10:24 PM
Thanks Derek for hosting another great event. Looking forward to next year. Thanks again to your wife for the drive home brownies.

DaveW
2014.08.26, 01:00 AM
Thanks Derek.

What a sweet layout.
Flowed well if you ran it right. A bit more challenging if you strayed to far off the line. Just the way I like it. :cool:

The weather was perfect. August works good for that location and the few clouds that drifted through seemed to augment what shade the trees provided - couldn't have been better.

My loss that I couldn't stay for dinner - perhaps next time.

Thanks again.

Here's a pic for those who didn't make it.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/Dwwiebe01/20140824_1458361_zpse7dbe270.jpg (http://s1002.photobucket.com/user/Dwwiebe01/media/20140824_1458361_zpse7dbe270.jpg.html)

cowboysir
2014.08.26, 09:48 AM
I'm glad someone got a photo...I totally spaced it.

It certainly turned into a great day. My thanks to all who showed and made it a challenging race day.

Thanks again to theG for bringing lunch for all...saved me from making the epic weekend fight to grab pizza from the village.

Next time (likely next year since Sept makes for tough weather planning) I'll have a wider start/finish and I have some ideas on how to smooth out some bumpy areas.

cowboysir
2015.06.27, 09:01 PM
So July 5 is looking somewhat hopeful for the start of the Whistler Summer Race Series for 2015.

I will be hosting"weather depending": we obviously will not be running here if it's raining but it is also unlikely to happen if it is too hot. Today it was 36c and is looking like we expect at least another week of this type of weather....there no way is want to be outdoors in this after a week of laboring in the same stuff.

My house, my rules as such.

Stay tuned for updates

cowboysir
2015.07.17, 12:00 AM
So I'm checking for interest in a Whistler gtg for August 9. Dave W won't be able to host before then so if we don't come to a consensus on whistler Aug 9then it'll be a while before we race again.

RFick73
2015.07.18, 01:04 AM
I'll be there if I can bum a ride with someone.
I'm sure Craig will come up with me as well if there is room.

xmodcanuck
2015.07.18, 04:11 PM
So I'm checking for interest in a Whistler gtg for August 9.

Hell yes. As you know I'm always up for a Whistler trip.

cowboysir
2015.07.18, 08:28 PM
Ryan you better text around because daveW can't make it and daveh is coming up the saturday. That leaves you without your normal lift status....;)

DaveW
2015.07.19, 12:35 AM
Ryan you better text around because daveW can't make it and daveh is coming up the saturday. That leaves you without your normal lift status....;)

Unfortunately, it's true. Schedule conflict rears it's ugly head again.

August seems to get busier each year - and I'm not even camping due to the fire ban!

I REALLY hate missing out on these - they are SO MUCH FUN - and so far in between.

cowboysir
2015.07.26, 11:47 PM
So i've got one solid yes and a couple of quite likely.

I'd like to hear some more yes or no....one way or the other I need to PSM some good for the 9th.

RFick73
2015.07.27, 12:41 PM
I will be coming up with Grant so long as he is able to make it.

My friend Craig whom has come out a couple of times now is also in if you'll have him.

I may have to make a few calls & rally some of the troops this week.

The G
2015.07.27, 09:27 PM
I will be coming up with Grant so long as he is able to make it.

My friend Craig whom has come out a couple of times now is also in if you'll have him.

I may have to make a few calls & rally some of the troops this week.

I normally use the back seat of my car for my canopy. I wasn't planning on taking it if the weather's going to be cooler. I can either flip one rear seat down, or use my car rack and stick it on the roof if it's gonna be hot. I hope he doesn't have a lot of gear. I will be bringing my barbecue and smokies for everyone. Leaving this at home is not an option.

cowboysir
2015.07.28, 09:21 AM
So depending on grant's concerns we could have a total of 5 people making it.

Haven't chatted with Steve about it lately but his visit usually takes a lot of schedule jumbling so hopefully he and his wife can coordinate.

I've got a really fun design in the works which will be twister than last year's layout but still on the high speed side so everyone get your "mod" class cars prepped.

Remember (this is if Lloyd happens to read this) that Foam Tires are not allowed on my track.

Thanks.

RFick73
2015.08.05, 12:16 PM
Cowboy,

Craig is unable to make it as he was just asked to work the on-call shift for his work :(

I will send out a txt & an email if you want me to as that may drum up some additional business.

I'm also making a few calls to club members.
Let's rally the troops! :D

cowboysir
2015.08.08, 09:59 AM
For those who were planning on coming up to whistler (that I haven't contacted directly) the weather for Sunday is uncertain so the gtg is canceled.

cowboysir
2015.08.09, 08:55 PM
Just my luck the weather in the early AM was rain but it cleared nicely for the rest of the day. Tough break no doubt...

So looking at the calender I am shooting for 3 weeks from now on August 30th. I think thats pretty open event wise and its the week before Labour Day.

Chime in for interest please.;)

RFick73
2015.08.10, 12:57 PM
That weekend works perfectly for me as I am busy the next two weekends.

The G
2015.08.10, 07:50 PM
I'm in as well, lets hope for a cool but sunny day.

cowboysir
2016.06.20, 01:47 PM
Well then. ....

Id like to get some days listed from members on a possible July gtg in Whistler. Chome in if v there are weekend days that don't work and list those you might be able to make.

I think we don't have to limit ourselves to Sunday so if there are Saturdays that work for people then let's hear it.

Obviously not going to do it for the weekend of the 2nd/3rd with canada day and US day during that time.

I'd like to get at least 5 or 6 visitors....

Gladi8or
2016.06.21, 08:03 PM
16/17 or 23/24 sound good to me, my parent are visiting so I'll bring the old man that is a mini-z fan too.

RFick73
2016.06.21, 08:41 PM
Looking over my calendar, as of right now I'm only busy on Sat., July 16th. I have an Obstacle Race that day in Squamish, so I may be sore on the Sunday, but I could still make it that day I'm sure. I work Saturdays, but I can rather easily swap them out for a Sunday with my co-worker if those work better for everyone else attendance wise. Dave W. would most likely not be able to make a Saturday. I would also need to bum a lift with someone there & back.

xmodcanuck
2016.06.23, 03:54 PM
Sundays work better for me. I'd rather not do the weekend of the 16th, I'm hoping to go racing that Saturday (a bit of delusional optimism and wishful thinking goes with that hope, but whatever, I'll keep dreaming)

cowboysir
2016.06.24, 09:24 AM
So the 16th is off the list.

With Dave W's text saying he's only free on the 10th I'm going to continue this conversation based on that day.

Ryan
Dave W
Dave H
Me (obviously )
Steve (?)

Anyone else make the 10th (gladi8or? )

TheSteve
2016.06.24, 12:54 PM
So the 16th is off the list.

With Dave W's text saying he's only free on the 10th I'm going to continue this conversation based on that day.

Ryan
Dave W
Dave H
Me (obviously )
Steve (?)

Anyone else make the 10th (gladi8or? )

Will do my best to make it, so far the day is free and you're penciled in.

cowboysir
2016.06.29, 07:23 PM
The possibility of the 10th of July seems to be shaping up!

One of my main landscape renos has been put to a bit of a delay due to the backhoe contractor finding better paying work for that week....my project has been bumped for the time being. That is not to say I'm free and clear as there are a couple other things on the go that may get moved up if scheduling allows but so far things are looking hopeful.

That being said I'd like to discuss the concept I'm developing for the upcoming race and the body prize up for offer.

The format I will be using specific to the "body giveaway race" is an all inclusive (everyone can enter) as long as 3 conditions are met:

1. Everyone during this race must use a version of a "stock" class motor. Whether that is a Kyosho stock/fetted board or 70 turn/fetted board or blue VE motor I will consider as valid choices. All other motor entries will be disqualified from competing for the body so nows your chance to organize a chassis and motor combination!

2. I will be organizing a "handout tire" for this race. As most of you know I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to tires and for some reason i have many sets of rear and front Kyosho 40's....so nows my chance to get rid of them and force you fu...guys to manage grip levels with a spec tire race! Be sure to have rims available for your stock motor chassis to install the handout tires.

3. Other than the typical practice sessions and random race heats when we plan specific race time for the "body giveaway race" I will be holding 2 qualifying heats of 5 minutes where best time/lap total from those 2 heats will place you on a grid for a 10 minute "main". Winner of the main will win the body...simple.:cool:

Now that's taken care of it's onto the prize giveaway...

Since many of us have favorite bodies and you're likely going to want to race your favorite in the future this is what i propose:

The winner of the main event will give me his choice of body that he likes to receive and as long as I can get it (or maybe already have one:rolleyes:) he and I can then discuss a custom livery or allow me to pick a design from the many choices i can find on the internets of real race cars competing today. I only ask that you pick a body that i can get easily and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (ie Mosler white body these days is pretty much impossible)

Add a bit of time to the mix and the winner of the first "body giveaway race" will have his own custom one of a kind race body!

One quick edit: The body choice will revolve around GT class racers...I will not be doing a custom F1 body as a prize because they are wicked hard to get right (and you guys aren't worth it) :p

DaveW
2016.06.29, 11:31 PM
Awesome. A one-off custom body up for grabs.

Great idea for leveling the field. If the weather is warm and the sun's on the track, those tires are going to be something to behold I'm sure.

RFick73
2016.06.30, 09:09 PM
I like this!

I personally like having some guidelines for races.

I think we should be running more heats with the Stock, Mod & other classes from time to time. The Run what ya brung is okay too.

Gladi8or
2016.07.01, 05:56 AM
Hey guys!!!

As I told you, 10th is not ideal for me since I have my family arriving the day after, so there's loads to do, but I'm gonna try my best, I really enjoyed our last race, can't wait for the next one.

CowboySir, I'm sorry I completely forgot to give the transponder back to you, I can assure you I will take good care of it.

Regarding the race, it's quite easy for you guys to setup a car just for the stock class with those crazy tires since you have plenty of nice ones , I assuming 40 grooves front and rear it will be impossible to drive, which sounds fun :) For me is not that easy with my old junk, but I'm game for it, I'll race Mr02 27am... as long as it has 4 wheels and a body.

Gladi8or
2016.07.01, 08:09 PM
Hey! Massive good news, I messed up the dates, my old man is arriving in the 9th so we're 2 going up to Whistler for sure on the 10th... one very jetlagged but it's alright :)

Carlos Conceicao -confirmed
Antonio Conceicao -confirmed

cowboysir
2016.07.04, 08:11 PM
I am going to have to cancel the upcoming event:

One of my staff via text this morning that he has to quit so he can go home and deal with some family issues.

Dealing with hiring new staff and trying get all our work done at the same time is going to kill my week and add extra days this weekend.

Anyone looking for work?:rolleyes:

Sorry guys....see you in August.

(August because the 17th is Pemby fest and the 24th is the Ironman and the 31st is BC day long weekend)

RFick73
2016.07.04, 09:10 PM
NoooOoOOoo!

That's a pain Derek. Best of luck on finding a new staff member.

Gladi8or
2016.07.04, 11:10 PM
Ohhh :( Was really looking forward to this.

DaveW
2016.07.05, 01:52 AM
It's all good - stuff happens!

Hope you can pull it off next month - always love the whistler road trips!!! :D

Good luck with your search for a new hire. :)

TheSteve
2016.07.05, 04:21 AM
Sucks man! Hopefully everything aligns for a great August event.

cowboysir
2016.07.05, 09:24 AM
Thanks for your understanding guys.

The fun part of this is the guy who quit was likely about to get a raise because I was getting confident to leave him and not check over his work....starting all over again is really going to suck balls. I honestly don't have the time for it since construction work for the landscape renos should have everyone on task without me having to babysit.

That being said I'll look through the events planned for August in whistler and schedule accordingly.

cowboysir
2016.07.31, 09:52 PM
Alright then.....let's discuss August 14, 2016.

Through texts I've gotten some good interest but I figured I'd post here to get the word out to those I dint have phone contact.

Let's chat it up!

RFick73
2016.08.01, 11:48 AM
I'm game if I can get there & back! I'm now working that day, but so long as I have my laptop in case I get a call, I'm in!

Gladi8or
2016.08.03, 01:46 AM
I'm in guys! Let's make it happen :)

RFick73
2016.08.06, 03:01 PM
Carlos & I are looking to save money on not renting a car for the day & want to try & catch a ride with someone to & from Whistler.
We are willing to pitch in for gas, anyone got some room for us?

Gladi8or
2016.08.07, 02:25 AM
Hey guys, 1 week to go, are we doing this meet?

cowboysir
2016.08.07, 09:45 AM
Weather permitting it's a go.

That being said Dave H is coming up on the Saturday. Dave W has said he can make it.

Ryan and Carlos are looking for a ride so I list them as possibles

Steve is unlikely and Thomas sounded positive but haven't heard from him lately.

Putting this size of track together for 3 people isn't my idea of a good time so everyone get your plans together...I will cancel if I don't get some more firm interest.

TeeSquared
2016.08.07, 03:12 PM
Still planning on being there! I can give a ride to someone but my car is small so I only have room for +1.

cowboysir
2016.08.07, 03:40 PM
Forgot to mention (for those who dont remember or haven't been to my house) you need to be prepared for your own pit table etc as I only have tables enough for my stiff and timing system.

Thomas get in touch with Ryan to get Carlos' contact info. It'd be most likely that you pick up him and Ryan gets a ride with Dave W if he's still coming.

Gladi8or
2016.08.07, 09:12 PM
Hi guys, I'm going regardless, ride or hire, I'm heading Whistler if it's a go.

Gladi8or
2016.08.10, 02:07 AM
Ok, I'm going with Thomas, all sorted. Let's cross fingers with the weather.
Latest prediction: A mix of sun and cloud with 30 percent chance of showers. High 26.

Gladi8or
2016.08.12, 05:31 AM
Excelent news! Sunny. Clear on Sunday night.
High 28C
Low 13C

cowboysir
2016.08.12, 09:31 AM
So the weather has settled to what likely will be a sunny and 28 Celsius....perfect day to hold an outdoor big track event!

For all those concerned be sure to bring a wheel set fir your hand out 40f/r tires to compete for the custom body prize. There will be 2 qualifier (best time of 2) and 1 main with the grid set from quali times. Otherwise there will be plenty of normal heats with attempts to stay within motor category restrictions.

Bring your own pit setup and try to get here to help out so we can get v rolling for 10. Tear down will start at 4ish.

See you there gents.

Gladi8or
2016.08.12, 05:20 PM
Sounds great, I'll bring your transponder.

RFick73
2016.08.13, 12:26 AM
I'll have one for you if you want it Carlos. $30. It's one of the new smaller ones.

The G
2016.08.14, 09:14 AM
See everyone in a bit, gonna make this one.:):)

DaveW
2016.08.15, 01:55 AM
Awesome day.

Thank's Derek for hosting.

As always, a darn fine drive up the sea-to-sky. (Like'n the new speed limits).

Bit congested on the way home though - so much for new speed limits.

Congrats to Thomas for winning the custom body contest. That was a great (and frustrating) plan to dictate specs and hand out those wonderful tires. (Those were more like hollowed out miniature hockey pucks than tires I might add).

It was interesting to see how everyone dealt with the new challenge the "puck tires" provided, especially when the sun brought the track surface into the 150' range.

As I suspected, I'm no good at drifting, now it's confirmed.

Having said that, it was great when the track cooled off and the shade set it, also I got to dump the "pucks" and put my regular sneekers back on. Then a run around the track felt a whole lot more familiar.

After which we were provided with an awesome dinner that provided a wonderful end to the day.

Thanks Derek and Sarah!

Check this out for those that didn't make it.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/Dwwiebe01/20160814_1246361_zpshwyw8tzz.jpg (http://s1002.photobucket.com/user/Dwwiebe01/media/20160814_1246361_zpshwyw8tzz.jpg.html)

The G
2016.08.16, 01:09 AM
My friend Leon and i had a great time. Thanks Derek and Sarah for hosting. We enjoyed all the tasty beverages and of course those tasty burgers at the end. Also thanks to Dave W and Ryan for the hotdog lunch.

TeeSquared
2016.08.16, 08:55 PM
Thanks Derek and Sarah for hosting an awesome day of racing! And for all who helped prepare the delicious foods! Those burgers were killer :D

Loved all the challenges the day offered and I was extremely pleased with how well my fleet performed. "Golf cart" was absolutely on fire and it's racing debut could hardly have been better. Thanks to whoever came up with the nickname, by the way :)

I was not expecting to need to run AWD for the body challenge as I'd secretly been practicing at home with 40 degree tires on my stock motored MR03 chassis and it hooked up just fine. For whatever reason, probably due to the layer of extremely fine dust, it would not hook up at all on Derek's track. AWD proved to be the chassis of choice for the challenge.

Looking forward to the next meet!

Gladi8or
2016.08.22, 04:42 AM
Hey guys, what a lovely day in Whistler! Thanks to everybody involved in organizing this meet and for the lovely reception with some crazy nice food and cold drinks! Thanks to Thomas as well for the ride, super nice to do this journey up the mountain with you mate.

Competition wise, this was a reset for me, my good old car was taken apart and built on a 100% new chassis that I think will have some crazy potential, still a lot of work to do, still a lot to learn with this new parts that I'm seeing for the first time in 10 years.

The race for Derek's body was very interesting, I guess he was the only one having a lot of fun watching us sweat to try to have a car that could be competitive. Fortunately there was the old awd that is still very reliable when the grip conditions are adverse, but unfortunately mine is not in shape to get any closer to yours and I couldnt get a single lap without crashing it. I think I found the problem, the steering potentiometer is giving its last breath and it was pretty much impossible to get it straight with interference, did my best but in the end I was just ruining the race so I decided to pull the car out. This must sound a bit weird to you guys, but my respect for this hobby is bigger than you think so please don't feel cheated by my atitude, it's pure respect, nothing else.
To learn how to win you first need to learn how to loose, and that's my belief, don't ruin your mates race if you can't keep your car straight, go back, try to fix it, or go back to the drawing board and set it up properly.

Though I have some notes regarding respect, there's still lack of experience on the track, I keep seeing cars not letting the faster ones pass, this is racing 101, if you're being lapped, you need to open, it doesnt mean you need to crash. In my good old club we had a rule, you have 3 turns to open before the driver that is behind you to force the pass. Faster drivers MUST be careful, they should wait and be patient, and if the driver ahead will not open, they should try a clean pass, yes, a clean pass should always be the option, if that option is still being deflected, the force pass should go through and usually that ends in a crash and some bad words being thown. It's very simple for a slower driver to open, just go wide on a turn and let the faster pass without loosing time, same for the faster driver, just let go the trigger, keep the pressure and wait for the opening.

And most of all, we all make mistakes, we make mistakes trying to not make mistakes, and it can all be solved with a 'Sorry' and simply give the position back if you're fighting for it.

Takes time to learn this, we should be announcing the races as well, we should help the drivers to know they are being laped or fighting for position. It's a work in progress, we'll get better for sure.

I had a wonderful time, just wish we could do this more often!

Well done!
Carlos

cowboysir
2017.07.11, 08:34 PM
Bumping this thread up to update you guys on the upcoming event:

The available date is August 13th. I have found a neighborhood indoor venue so it will run rain or shine. If I book the room thereis no opportunity to cancel so indoor it is.

I will be covering the room cost so the club members will cover the cost of lunchtime pizza.

Should bee able to organize tables with the room so just bring your usual power gear

Due to my wife having prior commitments we will bee unable to host an after dinner.

Make some time and put some effort to come visit.

cowboysir
2017.07.13, 09:35 AM
So I've rounded out my thoughts on the theme for the Whistler gtg:

ENDURO RACING!

chassis:
Rwd only
98 or 102mm
Blue 've motor or equivalent brushed (50-ish turn?)
4 ni-mh cells only (no li-po/li-fe)
Rubber tires only (if I see any foam you will receive a "Black flag")

Race event:
1. Practice will be open throughout the day so members can decide on a chassis.
2. 3 long qualifier sessions (10min) spaced during the day but instead of most laps during session grid spot will be based on fastest qualifying lap.
3. Race event will be 1hr with 2 mandatory "Pit stop".
4. One pit stop will require a "tire change" to add a bit of realism... you can have rims prepped in advance but at minimum you should perform a tire rotation on the set you are using.
5. Likely one stop will be a battery change
6. Drivers will perform their own pit stops.

*7.* important! I've decided to consider "no blue flags" during the hour long event so drivers attempting to pass backmarkers will have to do it properly and carefully! Drivers will have to be on their best behaviors...i would hope that if a pass involves contact that the racer ruining the others flow will wait and allow the offended party back through. Passing must be clean and since this is an enduro and not a sprint we should hold the highest standard possible for the actual event. (All this being said the offended party in the contact shouldn't lollygag and get back to racing asap)

Comments are welcome at this point so we can round out members thoughts on the event.

arch2b
2017.07.14, 08:04 AM
interesting rules, i like the tire change aspect and may borrow that ;)

RFick73
2017.07.14, 08:53 AM
3. Race event will be 1hr with 2 mandatory "Pit stop".
4. One pit stop will require a "tire change" to add a bit of realism... you can have rims prepped in advance but at minimum you should perform a tire rotation on the set you are using.
5. Likely one stop will be a battery change

I'd like to see this narrowed down a bit. I honestly think you should push for two tire changes on two separate pit instances & exclude battery changes & maintenance pit stops (ie: Fixing body placement or tweaking your car) as a pit stop. On average people will be swapping batteries around the 20 & 40 minute marks. Maybe less, maybe more. But as you mentioned, it adds some realism. Setting it to swapping the tires on two separate instances may help stop those from potentially swapping over then right back in the same pit stop. Because, no where in the history of man have we tried to find loopholes. :cool:

Just my 5 cents.
(Thoughts are more costly now that we got rid of the penny) :o

TheSteve
2017.07.14, 03:14 PM
I thought two pitstops with one of them requiring a mandatory tire change/rotation was pretty simple. I assume if there are two pitstops people will likely change batteries during them(I would...)

If you run with the eco motor two stops sounds ideal(could be done with one though). If you run a brushed motor you might want 3 stops - but you may also be quicker to offset the extra stop.

cowboysir
2017.07.14, 05:09 PM
As I'm trying to add some realism to mini Z "enduro racing" I'm planning for one pit that requires a "tire change" as most races Fron World Endurance Championship (WEC) have teams that will "double stint" on a set of tires which has them setting for fuel twice and tires once in an alloted time span.

If I was going for a longer race time I might plan for more stops but since this is our first foray into a long race 2 stops is all the drama I think is needed.

Once you get done practice and we get into it you can plan your race strategy to suit your cells and tire window.

TeeSquared
2017.07.14, 05:27 PM
1. Practice will be open throughout the day so members can decide on a chassis.

In theory this means I could run a different car for each qualifier and yet another for the main, assuming they all fall within the general guidelines. You might want to clarify that point.

A required tire change/rotation is risky. If someone changes tires and their car starts handling like crap they're going to be taking it off the track constantly messing around with it until it starts handling right again. Could possibly be disruptive to the race. My $0.05 would be to make the pit stop mandatory, but not changing tires unless the driver wants or wishes to changes them.

cowboysir
2017.07.14, 07:09 PM
In theory this means I could run a different car for each qualifier and yet another for the main, assuming they all fall within the general guidelines. You might want to clarify that point.

A required tire change/rotation is risky. If someone changes tires and their car starts handling like crap they're going to be taking it off the track constantly messing around with it until it starts handling right again. Could possibly be disruptive to the race. My $0.05 would be to make the pit stop mandatory, but not changing tires unless the driver wants or wishes to changes them.

You've got it almost exactly right. If you practice and attempt to qualify with different cars I would assume your fastest qualify lap will be the chassis you use for the race. I don't think you'd want to use a slower car.

A tire change will be one of the pit stops. Whether you want to swap in new rubber, have a different set already worked in or rotate the set you're using around your chassis it's up to you. Balance during the race is up to the driver so I would hope you'd figure out your best option. If your handling tanks with a tire change then fixing it will add to the drama just like any endurance race. (As an example Porsche won the LMP1 category at LeMans this year after dealing with a 30min mechanical repair and losing 18 laps....thats never give up for you)

I don't see anyone being able to get me to change the rule set imposed. Part of the drama will be figuring out how to make yourself fast within the rules I've implemented.

TeeSquared
2017.07.14, 07:42 PM
Your race, your rules :) You're going to have your hands full tech inspecting a lot of cars and overseeing tire changes and rotations. Not that I doubt you can do it, but "drama" could quickly devolve into chaos if you try and stretch yourself too thin.

If it helps, I will volunteer my time to help tech inspect cars, provided the rest of the members do not see this as a conflict of interest as I also want to compete.

cowboysir
2017.07.14, 07:59 PM
I'll be racing as well and during practice ill have an opportunity to set a mean time for a tire change pit stop. I don't expect to police more than 6 or 8 guys and the room we are using has our tables right beside the c track so watching for breaks from action should be easy.

I will mention now that I don't expect any shenanigans as there is no prize to win this year. I'm paying out of my own pocket for a room that isn't cheap but I figured since there will be many people making the drive up instead of one person driving down this will be the one time this season you guys have to put real effort into your travel. If you can handle the effort the room is on me.....;)

TeeSquared
2017.07.14, 08:08 PM
...but I figured since there will be many people making the drive up instead of one person driving down this will be the one time this season you guys have to put real effort into your travel

Oh come on, we all know the real reason you traded in the SIR for an ST :p

I'll be at a wedding on the 12th and assuming I don't over-indulge at the open bar I'll be up as early as I can and will be willing to volunteer my time however it's needed.

The G
2017.07.18, 09:28 PM
I will be attending and i am able to take an additional three people. This only works if you are on my way. I have to leave early as i have Derek's large radius inside turns here in Langley.

gctkaz
2017.07.20, 01:56 AM
Just thought I would pop in to say a few words before getting back to work!

I will still have work to do during the period spanning the August 13 date but I'm hoping the workload will have decreased enough for me to take most of the day off.

If I am able to take time off, I might drop by with my Mrs to watch a bit just so she can have a look at what all the fuss is about, I probably won't be running myself. Most likely we'll stay for a few minutes and then go do some other activities around the village since I haven't taken her there yet.

So don't count me in for racing either way, but I might say hi :)
Still, thanks Derek for generously hosting, the Whistler meets in the past have always been a pleasure. Too bad there won't be that fantastic macaroni salad!

cowboysir
2017.07.21, 10:51 PM
I will be attending and i am able to take an additional three people. This only works if you are on my way. I have to leave early as i have Derek's large radius inside turns here in Langley.

I'd like to take them home this sunday as I have arranged to be able to set up the day in advance.

With that knowledge I hope everyone can still try to be early as to get as much run time as possible
;)

Looking forward to seeing you visit, geoff

cowboysir
2017.07.29, 06:47 PM
So besides the main event endure any thoughts on what else we can "compete" with, chassis wise?

1.I'm hoping to do some F1 running but I don't want to take away (too much) from the time available for enduro practice.

2. There seems to be quite a few 90mm mod cars in our group now...:cool:

3. we could put some 90mm-HM heats into the mix but is it still just myself, Grant and Steve with spec class runners?

The track layout is almost finalized...just working on a join tile o I can use my 60cm as a pitlane.:cool:

gctkaz
2017.08.01, 07:29 PM
Change of plans Derek, I won't be making it up to Whistler on the 13th :( See you guys another time.

For future reference, (I think) I have the parts to build up a 90mm HM spec car, so I look forward to participating in that class later!

cowboysir
2017.08.07, 11:21 PM
the upcoming Whistler summer race enduro location can be googled at "whistler sport legacies-whistler athlete's center"

I should have the track pre-set by 9am on Sunday August 13th but it would be great if everyone got here on time so you can get plenty of track time.

Hope you can make it.

RFick73
2017.08.09, 02:00 PM
Official GTG posting can be found >>HERE (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=464193&postcount=110)<<

RFick73
2017.08.14, 07:17 PM
I want to thank Derek for hosting us up in Whistler yesterday. It was a great layout & the Enduro was rather fun! We had a decent turn out, hopefully we can have one more Whistler GTG before winter arrives & more can make it to that one. The club would be MORE than happy to help pay for for the room if we can make it up again. Thank you for everything Cowboy!

The G
2017.08.18, 06:20 PM
Thanks Derek for hosting another great Whistler event. A great track layout. I really enjoyed the Enduro race.The drive too and from Whistler was great almost no traffic. Always looking forward to the next one.:)

cowboysir
2017.08.19, 10:59 AM
Putting some thoughts into another event but I'd like some opinions on the theme:

Option 1 is a full Formula One event....3 free practice timed similar to a GP weekend, qualifying sessions and race event.

I have 2 loaner cars ( and working on a third) so likely can accommodate those who don't have.

Option 2 is a variation of a World Rally X.... I'm thinking motor limit AWD and creating a lap with a "joker" lap section. Somewhere around 15 lap head to head heats after a "superpole" qualifying seeding of the heat ladder. (This seems to be a lot more work for me so I'm less inclined for this one)

RFick73
2017.08.20, 11:09 AM
I personally like both options. But, I'd like to see some F1 action happen as we've had a few small f1 races but we've never really gone all out on them so my votes for #1.

Maybe we can incorporate #2 into one of our upcoming Langley/Newton GTG's? My AWD is a brushless red can, so hopefully it will fit into the limits. I know you can also program the motor for underpower too, I'd be up to trying that out & or sticking to specific gearing. Just tossing it out there.

cowboysir
2017.08.21, 07:16 PM
I have booked the Hub room for the 17th of September. It'll be the same program that the track will be set for open of the building as ove got some time on the Saturday to put it together.

I will post the format shortly but be c ready for an F1 race event

cowboysir
2017.08.24, 11:46 AM
In the prep for the whistler gtg I've been thinking about how the Whistler F1GP will shape up.

A regular grand prix weekend has 3 timed practice sessions, 2 timed for 1.5hr and one that is 1hr. I don't think we have with time for that and enjoy other sedan class racing so I'm gong to half those amounts. These are specific to F1 only and will be free of other cars.... which also means that F1s are only allowed on track during these practice sessions and keep other time free for sedan class.

FP1-45 min
FP2-45 min
FP3- 30 min

Qualifying sessions are timed events and have a knockout quality to them. We obviously will not have an entire grid of 20ish racers to contend with but based on attendance I will figure out a knockout format. Times and knockout example below and will have short breaks in between sessions for battery changes if needed:

(Based on 6 racers)
Q1: 12min-5 fastest move to Q2/slowest eliminated
Q2: 9min- 4 fastest move to Q3/slowest eliminated
Q3: 6min- timed for grid positions

The actual GP will be a timed event lasting 30-40min and can include a battery "pit stop "... I'm not set in stone about the Larry part but I would like a longer than normal heat to get the feel of F1.

Thoughts?

cowboysir
2017.08.29, 07:46 PM
So as it turns out I'm going to have to cancel the upcoming Mini-Z gtg in Whistler.

I just got offered and accepted a big landscape reno/rebuild that will take up a lot of my time in September and part of October.

See you guys in late October, hopefully.:p