PDA

View Full Version : R/C to run on tall carpet?

bcpzx3
2012.05.05, 05:04 PM
I have a question for you guys. I'm trying to get best bang for the buck.

My bedroom floor space is about 10'x10' carpeted.
My girlfriend wants to share my hobbies with me and is getting into r/c cars.
I own a mr-02 and mr-03, have 1 TX with 2.4asf module and another TX w/o a module.

Last time I took out my mr-03 and tried to do some simple modifications to raise the car up so she can drive it around the room and get the feel of using a transmitter to control something. The car still wasn't high enough to fully clear the carpet so it was quite difficult to control.

Option #1 - Get 2 RTR Losi Micro T
Option #2 - Find buggy/truck wheels that may fit the mr-03 and mr-02

Any other opinions? I'd like to keep it 1/28 or smaller so we can utilize the floor space and have some fun. I'd also like to keep it in my room so please no silly answers. I also would want something hobby grade that will last for a long time.

oXYnary
2012.05.05, 05:30 PM
Micro-T RTR aren't that much fun stock to me... Is 1/24th too big? (MB-010)

bcpzx3
2012.05.05, 10:06 PM
Micro-T RTR aren't that much fun stock to me... Is 1/24th too big? (MB-010)

We're not going to do extreme racing, just more of a way to practice controlling a car with transmitter. Yeah when we used the mini-z I felt like there wasn't much room to drive around. We were limited on fitting in a lot of turns.

imxlr8ed
2012.05.06, 02:57 AM
Go buy a roll of office carpet and use the cars you already have. A 10'x10' section shouldn't cost much at all. Just roll it up when you're done and throw it in a closet.

Do you have any tracks nearby? Running anything in a 10'x10' area has to be torture at any scale, unless you get some kind of micro crawler.

bcpzx3
2012.05.06, 03:11 AM
Go buy a roll of office carpet and use the cars you already have. A 10'x10' section shouldn't cost much at all. Just roll it up when you're done and throw it in a closet.

Do you have any tracks nearby? Running anything in a 10'x10' area has to be torture at any scale, unless you get some kind of micro crawler.

Curious on where you can find office carpet? Would I go to any local carpet store, or office store?

cowboysir
2012.05.06, 11:09 AM
The micro-t is a fine choice. I've had a couple different ones and as long as you set a course for them to pilot through you will have a good time. Take a couple towels and shape them into walls/corners etc and have at it.

Durability wise I'd suggest learning how to make steering links from other types of plastic/lexan. At these close quarters it's pretty much your only breakage issue.

imxlr8ed
2012.05.06, 12:07 PM
I got our old track carpet from Lowes, they cut it in three sections and we just bound them together. I'm pretty sure it was 10ft wide off the roll they had. It's that grey looking, low cut stuff.

bcpzx3
2012.05.07, 03:13 AM
The micro-t is a fine choice. I've had a couple different ones and as long as you set a course for them to pilot through you will have a good time. Take a couple towels and shape them into walls/corners etc and have at it.

Durability wise I'd suggest learning how to make steering links from other types of plastic/lexan. At these close quarters it's pretty much your only breakage issue.

Sounds great, thats what we planned on doing, setting up a simple course so we can just race eachother around the track. Hopefully she will gain enough skill to keep up with me and eventually she can move onto Mini-z races at the local track.

I got our old track carpet from Lowes, they cut it in three sections and we just bound them together. I'm pretty sure it was 10ft wide off the roll they had. It's that grey looking, low cut stuff.

Thanks for tip. I have a Homedepot right down the street, I will probably stop by there first to see what they have. There's also a Lowes in the next town over.

Bodom
2012.05.07, 08:54 AM
Or you could find some high profile tires...
These are from 1:24 RC toy car on my MA-010
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/Bodom_photos/Mini-Z/P10302921024x768.jpg

bcpzx3
2012.05.07, 03:35 PM
Or you could find some high profile tires...
These are from 1:24 RC toy car on my MA-010

Is that from a generic 1:24 toy car? Did they have to be glued on?
That actually looks like it may work quite well, from the ground clearance I can see in the picture.

Bodom
2012.05.07, 04:58 PM
They are from Audley car.
Here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37168&highlight=audley) is one thread here about these cars as a body donors.
I've run my MR-03 outside on asphalt with these tires and my MA-010 on tall carpet.
P.S. I've mistaken the scale.. Audley is supposed to be 1:28, but they are bigger compared to mini-z.

imxlr8ed
2012.05.07, 10:27 PM
Overland tires may also work but there may be fitment issues with the racer bodies.

bcpzx3
2012.05.09, 03:01 AM
sounds great, I probably wont be running the Mini-z bodies if it comes down to being a fitment issue.