PDA

View Full Version : 50cm RCP track - 1 tile width

cdog4w
2012.05.10, 01:33 PM
Hey everyone, couldn't find a better place for this thread, hope it's the right spot.

I've had a pile of 50cm RCP for a while, but never had enough room at home to lay it all out. We just have a single car garage which could technically fit a wide L, but that got boring quick :)

Anyway, fast forward and I got the idea to try doing a single lane width when looking at the new 30cm tiles for the mini-96. The idea is that you alternate which side of the track has the normal border w/ pins and then just put extra borders in between. It makes for a very tight track, but perfect for a dnano! And no mods to the RCP required, you just need to have a pile of extra border pieces. Also, less tile border transitions than mini-96 and you have the flexibility to go back to using it as normal 2-3 tile width for mini-z as well as single width for dnano.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=FBB038ABE8FC6DFF&id=FBB038ABE8FC6DFF%211750

It's tight, but even after 10 minutes I was getting more speed and feeling better about driving on it. Sounds similar to how people describe driving a normal mini-z on a 50cm track and then trying out a mini-96. Next up is getting lap timing going, I'd like to use my trackmate system with some custom nano transponders that thesteve is working on, but I could also try the webcam based timer. Doubt the latter would do well on the black merc body though :(

Anyone else seen this done before?

bcpzx3
2012.05.10, 02:00 PM
Great idea, i dont see any problems with the track being that narrow. I would suggest just making a big square with the RCP tiles, then using something smaller than the borders given to make turns, so you can gain a little more driving surface.

arch2b
2012.05.10, 02:09 PM
creative solution to your problem.

cowboysir
2012.05.10, 04:47 PM
Wanna hear something funny? TheSteve and I discussed this very idea just this past weekend and had the exact same alternating idea. I was going to use my 50cm track but he thought doing a 30cm single would be fun for his dnano.

Great idea cdog!

cdog4w
2012.05.11, 12:58 AM
Great idea, i dont see any problems with the track being that narrow. I would suggest just making a big square with the RCP tiles, then using something smaller than the borders given to make turns, so you can gain a little more driving surface.

I don't have enough blank tiles, but more importantly I'd lose the advantage of RCP in its easy border system. It's a nice surface, but it'd be easier to just roll out some carpet if I had some magic border system ready to go :)

I'll just have to practice more!

RCPMini-z
2012.05.11, 03:39 PM
It's a great idea. I did this back in 2004 and posted pictures here and at Tinyrc. I used some Mini-z boxes to bank the turns and an off-road section in one location. This was before dnano's as you can see I was using Epoch's at the time. Below is pictures from my previous post.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9485/screenshot20120511at658.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7239/screenshot20120511at659.jpg

arch2b
2012.05.11, 03:49 PM
banking the runs can be really fun and not hard to do at all. i used to have rises in straights using cardboard tubes.

TheSteve
2012.05.12, 12:41 AM
I am looking forward to running a mini track indoors this winter - maybe a few of us can do our own mini track HFAY.

And maybe cdog4w will finally make it to my place for some racing action.

cdog4w
2012.05.14, 12:28 PM
RCP, man, I remember those pictures now! I was pretty excited but didn't have RCP at all back then :) It looks like you put holes on the inside portion of the tile in addition to the existing rail holes? A buddy suggested thinner rails to increase the lane width a bit, that something you'd ever consider? Dnano's won't hit with much force, so the existing rails could definitely be shaved down w/o losing strength.

I'm getting faster on the layout but it's still challenging :) ~13.25" lane width. I definitely want to play more with banks and I really want to try to build a bridge.

TheSteve, we should definitely do HFAY, but I need a proper nano transponder first :) I already know your answer though, I need to head north for pickup!