PDA

View Full Version : Saline Summerfest (August 11th 2012) Coordination Thread

mini-z
2012.07.31, 09:22 PM
Summerfest (http://salinesummerfest.org) is only a week and a half away - thought it would be a good idea to get a coordination thread up so that we can make sure everyone's on the same page and we've got everything covered. So far, Chuck, John, Bryan, Okabe, Mrs. Mini-Z, and myself are in; Lawrence has to work that day so is out - Norman is a maybe. Anyone else up for helping - we'd love to have you! :)

Check out last year's thread (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36721) for a recap of what the event is like - this is our 3rd year doing it (or 4th if you include the first year when we got rained out!) but we're always looking for ways to improve - I could have sworn we'd assembled some "notes to selves" for next year in that thread but I'm not seeing them there - if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please point me to the correct spot...?

Chuck has got the E-Z Ups and transport of said shelters covered - hoping to maybe cover the track or a portion of it this year to help abate the heat - in fact, Chuck, do you know what the dimensions are so we can assess feasibility of this? :o

I will of course bring cars, parts, batteries, etc. I need everyone to bring tools, and most critically, transponders. If we can get a quick transponder count now in fact, that would be really helpful. :cool:

Racing is 12:30-2:30pm - in the past, I've gone in the early AM to set up the track, and then we've met at 11 to start charging and setting up cars etc. - this will probably be the plan this year too. I'll post more details soon and get some checklists together etc. to make sure we've got everything covered (or more likely, I will intend to do so, and then Mrs. Mini-Z will pick up my slack! :p:o;):D). In the meantime, if everyone can just confirm they are following the thread, and share any thoughts/feedback/ideas/etc., that would be great. Thanks Dojo Members!!! :):):)

mini-z
2012.07.31, 09:33 PM
Oh, and for everyone's convenience vs. having to refer back to the 2010 thread (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34842), here's both the location and street view (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Michigan+and+Ann+Arbor,+Saline+MI&hl=en&ll=42.167113,-83.781647&spn=0.001801,0.004471&sll=42.326928,-83.802692&sspn=0.01028,0.018067&hnear=W+Michigan+Ave+%26+N+Ann+Arbor+St,+Saline,+W ashtenaw,+Michigan+48176&t=h&layer=c&cbll=42.167206,-83.78171&panoid=16gniTwDVSC28wcW3jF9sw&cbp=12,87.62,,0,8.95&z=19) in one handy link! :)

arch2b
2012.07.31, 10:43 PM
curious but do you get any industry types interested in the scale at these events? with 3d printing, just about anyone can get a body on a mini-z. there are local manufacturers that could be utilizing downtime and resources in machinery to produce small run products like custom laser inscribed pit mats, etc.

YoYo-Pete
2012.08.01, 10:05 AM
I got a 13' E-Z up... It's big, has vent on top to get hot air out. If you want me to bring, let me know.

I should still have my transponder unless something weird happened at last race (oh so long ago). Will bring it as well.

Dont remember if we did it last year, but we should have a "Top Gear" style leaderboard where you get your name & time up. How many races did we do last year, maybe I could pick up some magnetic labels if there is something to stick them on. That way we dont have to rewrite a white board or whatever.

Camp chairs? I'll bring the ones I have.. I think all but one died from my camp season this year. :P

I'm excited. It's fun, plus we all havent seen each other in a while.

mini-z
2012.08.01, 09:25 PM
That would be great - please do bring the E-Z Up and chairs for sure! :) I love the Top Gear idea too - brilliant!!! :)

mini-z
2012.08.01, 09:29 PM
Oh, and to answer your question, we had 17.25 races last year (last one got rained out) - but we only need to track the top times in each age bracket (i.e. 6 total vs. 6 per race). :)

YoYo-Pete
2012.08.02, 09:01 AM
I thought it would be cool for the kids to write their name on something and then it gets put in place for the day. Should I get magnetic labels then? Will there be something to stick them on?

20 races * 6 drivers = 120 labels?

arch2b
2012.08.02, 09:06 AM
i've often wanted to do something similar and struggled to find a cost efficient means. i had already purchased letter size magnetic pages from avery that can be cut into strips. it would be ideal if these were also dry erase to they could be easily reused but i could not find something like that. i have seen magnetic tape that is smooth and may work with dry erase markers but never tried it.

mini-z
2012.08.02, 07:33 PM
Awesome! I have an IKEA thing a bit like this (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10159443/), but shorter/wider - I think we should keep it to just top three in each category though - 120 names will be a big coordination effort and we will need all resources dedicated to repairs and charging. :) Not sure what we will attach it to though - need an easel or something...?

mini-z
2012.08.02, 07:35 PM
curious but do you get any industry types interested in the scale at these events? with 3d printing, just about anyone can get a body on a mini-z. there are local manufacturers that could be utilizing downtime and resources in machinery to produce small run products like custom laser inscribed pit mats, etc.

Missed this one earlier; best opp. for this would likely have been Maker Faire at the Henry Ford - this one is mostly kids with the occasional parent. I do have a good 3D printing connection though! :)

Mrs Mini-Z
2012.08.03, 07:00 PM
Awesome! I have an IKEA thing a bit like this (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10159443/), but shorter/wider - I think we should keep it to just top three in each category though - 120 names will be a big coordination effort and we will need all resources dedicated to repairs and charging. :) Not sure what we will attach it to though - need an easel or something...?

Hi Guys,
Today I went to Hobby Lobby and got some white board poster (who knew it existed) to affix to the adhesive magnets I got, so we should be all set for the Top Gear Leader board. :) Thanks for the great idea John. :)

Most kids just come around for one go and don't really care about their standings, but for the few who do, this will be perfect for them to check on their status!

YoYo-Pete
2012.08.04, 11:15 PM
Awesome! I'm really excited.

mini-z
2012.08.06, 07:44 PM
BT and I did a quick shakedown of all the cars yesterday and everything is in great shape for the most part; couple little issues that I should be able to sort; will post anything outstanding after that. Biggest thing right now is transponders - can everyone who will be bringing one and hasn't chimed in already please do so ASAP?

Will post my full checklist later for input too. :)

mini-z
2012.08.06, 07:55 PM
Oh, and I have also embarked on a massive charging project to sort the wheat from the chaff in the battery pile. Shout out to Arch2b for the donor cells! :)

MRDAVT
2012.08.09, 01:04 PM
I have #22 transponder and will bring it.

mini-z
2012.08.09, 06:55 PM
Thanks Okabe! I've set up ZRound as follows:

Car 1: 6 (Dojo)
Car 2: 14 (Mini-Z)
Car 3: 22 (Okabe)
Car 4: 8 (YoYo-Pete)
Car 5: 11 (Bryan)
Car 6: ?? (Chuck)

While we should be covered, assuming Chuck brings/still has his, please bring yours anyway if you're not on the above list in case of failures, forgetfulness, etc. Thanks! :)

mini-z
2012.08.09, 07:10 PM
I've got AirDisplay set up on the Nexus 7 for remote timing and scoring BTW. :D

mini-z
2012.08.09, 08:56 PM
Please review and LMK if I'm missing anything?

Checklist

Timing and Scoring
U810 with ZRound, Power Supply
Speakers, Power Supply
WiFi Router, Power Supply
Nexus 7, charged
GiroZ Bridge, cable
GiroZ USB, cable

Racing Equipment
Track
Spare Tiles
(6) NASCAR MR-015s, Tested/Working
NASCAR Parts Bin
Emergen-Z Parts (NIB)
(6) Transmitters w/ Crystals 1-6
40 AA Batteries
48 New AA Batteries
~100 AAA Batteries

Pits
(2) Extension Cords
*double-check power outlet in AM
(2) Power Strips
6x2.5' Folding Pit Table
(2) Small Folding Tables (Chargers, Mrs. Mini-Z)
(2) Small Folding Chair
1 Lawn Chair
Box Fan

(2) 8xAAA Chargers
4xAAA Charger

Leaderboard
Dry Erase Markers
Dojo Promo Poster

Chuck
Transponder
(2) E-Z Ups
Tools
Motor Spray?

Okabe
Transponder
Tools
Nanotechnology

YoYo-Pete
Transponder
Charger?
E-Z Up
(2) Camping Chairs

BT
Transponder
Charger?

MRDAVT
2012.08.09, 09:49 PM
Spear transmitters and cars are expected if available.
I'm going to bring my chargers, Mini-Zs as well.
Do I need to bring my chair and workbench?
In case of rain, what should we do?

YoYo-Pete
2012.08.10, 09:19 AM
I only have 1 chair.

Deca "may" come but I got his approval to use his transponder (I just have to remember to grab it). Maybe I can borrow his camp chair too.

I cant find my battery charger power cable. :( Hope it turns up tonight (I moved since I last used it).

Will bring "cool" cars to set around and "wow" the children with.

Is the Air Display using the android app? (What's it called, I wiped my phone and dont have it anymore)

mini-z
2012.08.10, 02:36 PM
Spear transmitters and cars are expected if available.
I'm going to bring my chargers, Mini-Zs as well.
Do I need to bring my chair and workbench?
In case of rain, what should we do?

We have spare "fronts" and "rears" in the "NASCAR Parts Bin" - the "fronts" are basically an entire MR-015 NASCAR with wheels and everything from the H-plate back removed, and the "rears" are the LM pods that we use on these cars w/ motor, diff, etc. - basically we have enough to create a few spare cars, but we don't have assembled cars that we could just drop on the track in the event of catastrophic damage etc. Honestly it would probably be a good idea to create one or two from these parts if we have time before the race starts...! :) In the past it's been rare for all 6 cars to race at once - I think during the hottest times in fact we did 3 at a time so the other 3 could cool off. But I like what you're thinking here...! :)

If you would like to bring your own workspace, that would be great - you can just work away without kids bugging you etc. like last year - except more comfortably! :) Or, we have a big table that should fit everyone just fine too.

I only have 1 chair.

Deca "may" come but I got his approval to use his transponder (I just have to remember to grab it). Maybe I can borrow his camp chair too.

I cant find my battery charger power cable. :( Hope it turns up tonight (I moved since I last used it).

Will bring "cool" cars to set around and "wow" the children with.

Is the Air Display using the android app? (What's it called, I wiped my phone and dont have it anymore)

Coo. Even if you can't find PS, bring the unit in case mine explodes or something - redundancy w/b a good thing. Please also bring paint pens if easy, w/b helpful for marking stuff etc. (e.g. duplicate chargers, batteries to prevent mix-ups). :)

Yes, for sure bring cool cars - thanks for pointing that out - we usual display/demo our cars so people can see what's possible etc. ... :)

Yes, this is the Android version, though the one I've used at the Dojo before was iOS - they have both now and you can use the same PC app to drive either! :cool::)

mini-z
2012.08.10, 02:56 PM
Btw, Mrs. Mini-Z has really outdone herself w/ the Leaderboard and Dojo Promo:

mini-z
2012.08.10, 02:58 PM
Reminder to wear Dojo Polos if you've got them; and if you haven't - LMK, because you'll have earned one by helping out w/ this event! :)

MRDAVT
2012.08.10, 03:39 PM
I don't have any Dojo Polos.

monkeyZ
2012.08.10, 04:46 PM
I also don't have a polo... I need a medium shirt... on a man.

mini-z
2012.08.10, 05:13 PM
We will be sure to get your guys taken care of; just let us know size and what name you want (typically forum name, but not sure if you guys want "Okabe" or "BT" etc.)...! :)

MRDAVT
2012.08.10, 06:41 PM
I expect Men's Large. The name I preferred is "Okabe". Thanks

monkeyZ
2012.08.10, 07:14 PM
I will take a medium with BT on it. Please keep it both capital letters since I am kind of a big deal.

mini-z
2012.08.11, 09:03 AM
Will do on the polos! I did not set up the track this AM, just dropped it off, since the ground is wet/in case it got rained on. I think we'll have plenty of time to set it up though, and we could even re-work to fit under E-Z Ups etc. in theory...?

https://mobile.twitter.com/minizdojo/status/234267771347824642

will3kgt
2012.08.11, 10:18 AM
I have a polo.....I'm on my way.

mini-z
2012.08.11, 10:24 AM
Awesome! :D

mini-z
2012.08.11, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for your help today! It was a bit of a shaky start with the early sprinklings etc., but once we got caught up from the rain delay, I think things went very smoothly! The cooler weather was certainly a boon vs. other years when the cars have overheated etc. The wind was a bit of a surprise though - apparently some kind of sandbags should have been on the checklist, and I'm still not really clear on how the track itself managed to get whipped up for a moment there!?! :eek: I think we really hit our stride in the second hour - I was legitimately enjoying myself during the fast kid shoot-outs! Tear down went amazingly well too! Thank you all again for your help, we really appreciate it!!! :):):)

arch2b
2012.08.11, 10:09 PM
waiting to see pictures of flying monkeys with a track swirling around in the air :p

mini-z
2012.08.12, 11:48 AM
Ha, I'm not sure what happened, this gust of wind somehow scooped up the track and lifted half of it a good 2-3 feet in the air during a race - of course tearing it apart in the process! :eek::D

YoYo-Pete
2012.08.13, 09:06 AM
I had a great time on Saturday. It was really good seeing everyone. I took a handful of pics that I'll share when I get a chance today.

My polo: Large (unless the run small) with "YoYo-Pete"

Thank you!

will3kgt
2012.08.13, 11:25 AM
It was really nice seeing everyone again....Especially the legendary
Onrailz himself.