PDA

View Full Version : Space station flyovers...

imxlr8ed
2012.08.06, 05:37 PM
I don't know how many of you on here are interested in this kind of stuff but figured since it may be a fairly clear night tonight on the east coast, some of you may want to take a look up around 9:50pm tonight and wait for the ISS to pass on by. Should be over the Louisiana panhandle around 9:55 and leaving the coast somewhere around Boston around 10pm. It usually looks like a jet plane with it's landing lights on when it goes over. Theres no lights on it, what you'll be seeing is the reflection from the sun off of the solar panels.

Pretty cool, I've had this ISS tracker on my Ipod for a while now and if time and weather permits, I usually head out once in a while to see it.

Good luck in your spacewatch!

Traveler
2012.08.07, 12:09 PM
Cool! :cool::cool::cool:

Old Crow
2012.08.07, 03:08 PM
Yeah, seen this many times before, does not get old for me. In 15 minutes last night I saw the Space Station, two satellites and 3 shooting stars. I don't think most people even know these things occur, all they have to do is look up.

imxlr8ed
2012.08.07, 03:39 PM
My sister thought it was moving slow until I showed her the app and how fast it crossed over PA. I wonder how many races and events we all could attend if our commute to the tracks was that fast? :rolleyes:

17,239.2 mph! I could go from Reading to NYC to race in less than 30 seconds! :D

TheSteve
2012.08.07, 08:10 PM
If you get a amateur radio (ham) license you can also sometimes talk to the ISS as it passes overhead!

KA2AEV
2012.08.07, 08:41 PM
Thats something that I never get tired of looking at
Even got my Son and Wife interested in it
There's a great web site thats easy to use also
All you have to do is plug in your Zip Code and it will give you
anything up there thats visible and how bright it will get when its
over you
http://spaceweather.com/flybys/

Real Cool
Mike

imxlr8ed
2012.08.08, 01:23 AM
I actually have 2 free apps downloaded, one for live tracking (ISSlite by VosWorx) and one for schedule (Sattelite watcher 1.4).

I've read an article about a ham radio operator who got through to them once... seemed like a pretty big deal for him. I guess I'm lucky enough to be at an age where I can remember when wireless conversation over more than a mile was a pretty big deal for any civilian. I can remember firing up my uncles old CB radio and being shocked that on an overcast day that we were actually chatting with someone from California! Old school social networking!

Old Crow
2012.08.08, 10:20 AM
If you had a telescope, could you see this? I know it would be difficult given it's moving.

imxlr8ed
2012.08.08, 11:31 AM
If you know how to set up your scope ahead of time so you only have to work one dial, it shouldn't be too hard. I think that when it's reflecting the sun though, you may need a filter to see actual structural detail of the station. I'd compare it to trying to photograph a car when the headlights are pointing right at you.

There's a few who took advantage of a certain natural backlighting source to get some pictures. :D

This one shows the last time a Space Shuttle was docked with the ISS:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2009/07/ooiss_endeavour_2009july26_.jpg

This one shows them separated:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/off-topic-misc/34189d1159560066-shuttle-space-station-front-sun-sun290906_468x460.jpg