PDA

View Full Version : Ko Propo EX-1 kiy ASF

DMALMAD
2012.08.13, 09:35 PM
Anyone try this out? How does it compare to other radios?

HammondCheese
2012.08.13, 09:47 PM
Anyone try this out? How does it compare to other radios?
The comparison I couldn't get past was the price :|. I'd been looking forward to this as a potential upgrade from the Ex5, but the Ex10 with maybe one of the new PN 4D triggers at $100 less is now looking a lot more likely....Maybe I'll just live with the 5 a bit longer...

unearthed name
2012.08.14, 05:56 AM
ex-10 for me. the ex-1 is too heavy. imagine doing a 40 mins main using that

arch2b
2012.08.14, 07:02 AM
i was a long time ex-10 user but that began to wear on me as it's a heavy radio and frankly i don't use 1/2 the settings it offers. i jumped to the 5ur for it's light weight, and rather simple programming. it does the job well and you can find them at a good price. there are times i miss my ex-10 and may regret letting it go if i ever want to run my half eight or anything not min-z asf.

i like the features and looks of the ex-1 but there is no way in hell i'm spending that kind of money on a transmitter. my wife thought i was nuts buying the ex-10 and i got that for a very good price.

DMALMAD
2012.08.14, 09:34 AM
Yeah I use the EX-5 and it is great for me and it is really light I was just wondering if the new EX-1 kiy was worth the price tag.

Sinister_Y
2012.08.14, 10:29 AM
My KIY is arriving today (along with the shops). I'll post back here with comments. You may want to check out the other thread on the KIY. One of the racers at the track is already using it and he posted his comments in that thread already.

DMALMAD
2012.08.14, 02:03 PM
thanks for the info will do.

cowboysir
2012.08.14, 03:37 PM
The comparison I couldn't get past was the price :|. I'd been looking forward to this as a potential upgrade from the Ex5, but the Ex10 with maybe one of the new PN 4D triggers at $100 less is now looking a lot more likely....Maybe I'll just live with the 5 a bit longer...

If you have a heat gun you can disassemble your ex10, heat the trigger and mold it to a tighter fit around your finger. Spending $100 to get a tighter trigger is laughable...

hrdrvr
2012.08.14, 03:48 PM
If you have a heat gun you can disassemble your ex10, heat the trigger and mold it to a tighter fit around your finger. Spending $100 to get a tighter trigger is laughable...

I have the inside of my trigger padded with the soft side of Velcro. Easier than heating and bending, more comfortable than bare plastic, and you can do it without removing the trigger from the radio. You could back it with some servo tape to make an even tighter fit if need be.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/2012-08-14_16-45-53_194.jpg

cowboysir
2012.08.14, 07:17 PM
Fine...show the forum that i like to do things the hard way, Landon...:D

DMALMAD
2012.08.14, 08:34 PM
I think he meant to save a hundred dollars since the trigger is only 48 dollars.

HammondCheese
2012.08.14, 11:20 PM
I think he meant to save a hundred dollars since the trigger is only 48 dollars.
Exactly - sorry If I was unclear. EX-10 with mini-z module seems to be around $350, plus $48 for PN trigger (not cheap but in line with what price say tower bars and motor mounts etc are). Versus $500 for the KIY.....
I'll have to give that velcro idea a shot with the EX-5 for next weekend though......Thanks hrdrvr. The melting idea also isn't bad, but from what I can see the trigger isn't readily replaceable on the EX-5, so the velcro is probably a safer option at the moment.
Getting back on topic - look forward to your review Sinister_Y.

herman
2012.08.15, 02:21 AM
read some kind of review from f******k (http://www f******k.com/photo.php?fbid=10151966731215277&set=t.1342689330&type=3&theater)...

in answer to my question...
how does it compare to the previous tx? i.e. ex-1 ur / ex-10 helios / erus? is it worth the price? or worth the upgrade if you already have the previous radios? thanks for any reply...

one guy mentions...
u will "feel" the car more with KIY, im currently using helios and others using eurus...both says KIY feels more refine and makes it easier to drive

another guy...
Upgrade from EX10 helios = Lot more smooth
Upgrade from EX1 UR = more smooth
Upgrade from EX10 Eurus = smooth

EX10 Helious and EX1 UR owner, go for it.
EX10 Eurus owner, still competitive.

hope this helps... :D

herman
2012.08.15, 02:25 AM
personally it's still too steep for me... still hanging on to my kt-18 with the ex-5 as a back up... hehehe... :D

herman
2012.08.15, 02:26 AM
great tip landon....

at least this is a much better modification compared to heating and bending the trigger, just in case you decide to sell it... :D

Sinister_Y
2012.08.18, 10:06 PM
Well, I finally unpacked the new beastie. It was an upgrade from a EX10 Eurus.

The config dets:

- Mini-Z module
- right hand grip
- 3D drop down
- weight kit

It's been said by many others and I will chime in...the controller is very top-heavy, even with the weights added to the bottom.

The build & Features:

The pieces all fit together easily and tightly.

The manual comes on a DVD (read-> no printed manual). There are some sparse instructions for actual assembly, but nothing about action operation functions, etc.. whereas the Eurus came with a printed manual, which I kind of miss.

Screen is good sized and easy to read as it is adjustable (viewing angle). 3D extension is also really adjustable. Trigger is the same "3D" trigger from the Eurus. The other cool thing about this controller is that you can move the trigger's vertical position, i.e. move it more towards to the grip or more away from the grip. All you do is loosen 2 screws and move a little indicator piece one way or the other, then tighten the 2 screws. Make sure not to loosen the screws all the way, or the nuts holding the screws will fall out. Good luck with that.

Installation of the weights was easy. Note there was an additional piece to add to the grip at the bottom for the 3D extension. It is to help steady/balance the controller standing up with the extra weight of the 3D extension.

Overall, the response felt the same as my Eurus with its module (902).

As noted before, this controller got a little tiring to hold after a while due to it's top heavy situation. I'm told by others that if I want to balance it a little better, to go with the regular steering wheel piece (i.e. not 3D) and to upgrade to the large grip. I did try the large grip out on someone else's and it did make a difference; It seemed easier to hold for longer periods.

I love my KO, but it seems like it's still not the best user friendly interface (to me at least) that I've ever used. I remember back in the day before mini-z, my Futaba had dials on the top that were configurable and it was very easy to change models, etc... KO's it seems (like this new model) take at least a few clicks to change the model. And all the front buttons are presets, you can't customize the functions. Oh well. It seems like the large screen and concept are winners. Balance should be addressed though.

Would I recommend this to someone who doesn't have a high-end controller and wants a high-end controller?

Sure.

Would I recommend this to someone with a Eurus?

Not really, unless you're a R/C crack addict like me that has to have the latest. This truly is a cool looking system.

lfisminiz
2012.08.18, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the details and input.:)

yasuji
2012.08.19, 10:25 PM
alrighty.... i posted these on fb but i felt that i should post this here as some of u dont get on fb....lol
i did some non scientific testing on a scale and here r my findings as far as weight with KoPropo EUROS and KIY

yasuji
2012.08.19, 10:42 PM
here on a different scale is my highly modified/lightend MARS that i have raced with from 2008~july 2012 and my new KoPropo KIY

previously i had a hard time finding consistency with any other radio than the mars...on level 1
i have owened 4 different helios 5 different URs at one time or another since getting in to rc/Mini-Z in 2007
i have never owned a euros but i have tried Philips EUROS many times in hopes that my driving style had matured with no luck

need less to say the KoPropo KIY has me driving at a new level!:D

ub0211042
2013.02.20, 12:00 AM
Hi guys,

anyone know bout this?

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013/02/06/ko-propo-ics-usb-adapter-and-ex-1-kiy-version-2/

how to upgrade to version 2? need to send back to KO and is it free?

Thanks

arch2b
2013.02.20, 05:22 AM
Hi guys,

anyone know bout this?

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013/02/06/ko-propo-ics-usb-adapter-and-ex-1-kiy-version-2/

how to upgrade to version 2? need to send back to KO and is it free?

Thanks

It says right there on that site,
Current customers with Version 1 will be able to send in their Master Units for a PC board change to the Version 2 at a later date once the boards are available.

ub0211042
2013.02.20, 06:20 AM
so i guess its free then?

arch2b
2013.02.20, 07:51 AM
Will need to wait and see what they say when the process is outlined. It would be nice if it were free.

Felix2010
2013.02.26, 06:54 PM
EX-1 K.I.Y. ASF brand-new VERSION 2 Master Units --- For Mini-Z ASF specifically --- When will these be In-Stock at licensed retail stores in the USA?

Honest - With my refund check I was just about to pull the trigger on this new beast Tx! This thing is sick no doubt. But then a new VER-2 Master Unit was just announced...

If I'm going to spend over $500 USD (from a licensed US dealer), I would like to purchase the latest complete K.I.Y. EX-1 VER 2 Tx with VER2 firmware/Master Unit; Open the box, bind the Tx, and play.. I just can't see buying the VERSION-1 EX-1 K.I.Y. ASF Tx, which is the only Version K.I.Y. in-stock right now (from what I see), and then have to ship the brand-new beauty out immediately to be updated.

Cost for the upgrade Master Unit also has been mentioned.. Unfortunately for current K.I.Y. owners the V2 Upgrade appears to cost $15 according to KO Propo's website. I doubt that includes shipping either(I could be wrong about the shipping).. But shipping the Tx to KO is at least a $10 hit via USPS.
*** Just checked on KO website: Return shipping is NOT covered (We pay)

If I'm going Top O' The Line, I can't believe these updates are not free, and that there's no date/timeline on when KO will have the already-updated V2 K.I.Y. ASF units for sale at retailers... :confused:

blt456
2013.02.26, 07:24 PM
The KIY doesn't need an update. In my opinion, the radio is fine from the factory and is actually too fast when using the Advanced settings for steering and throttle. When using this tx on highspeed settings it feels like a Eurus in terms of response. The Advanced setting is a faster response than the Eurus and it has made my car, which performed great on the Eurus, too twitchy.

Felix2010
2013.02.26, 07:40 PM
The KIY doesn't need an update. In my opinion, the radio is fine from the factory and is actually too fast when using the Advanced settings for steering and throttle. When using this tx on highspeed settings it feels like a Eurus in terms of response. The Advanced setting is a faster response than the Eurus and it has made my car, which performed great on the Eurus, too twitchy.

Totally understand. It probably will not make a big difference whether usung a V1 or a V2 Master Unit.:)

But the point for me at least is, this Tx is $500+grips+weight balances - Your talking $550-$575; It is the Top-Line Mini-Z Tx. If I buy a factory-fresh product, I am only asking that any/all latest revisions/updates come with out-the-box. If I buy a Version-1 K.I.Y. >> I'm losing $$ because there is New updates available. Selling a V1 Master Unit will not get the same $$ as a V2 Master Unit. People want the latest revisions. Like an Operating System for a computer. Updates come and are always recommended to be applied. With the V1, It is old programming. And that's the part that buggers me.

machgo5go
2013.02.26, 08:18 PM
My advise better to upgrade if you have original Ver. 1 bought from last August to December 2012.
I do not want to say why since it is more like a cover up from them. You do not more headache in future before it happens because you don't know how many times I almost throw this one expensive radio threw the window!:(

chad508
2013.02.26, 08:45 PM
I called ko tonight to be put on the waiting list and was told that the mini z module was not likely getting the upgrade to version 2 for old units. I was told I was put on a list just incase they do offer it

Felix2010
2013.02.26, 09:47 PM
I called ko tonight to be put on the waiting list and was told that the mini z module was not likely getting the upgrade to version 2 for old units. I was told I was put on a list just incase they do offer it

KO PROPO lists the VER2 Master Unit upgrade is for both EX-1 K.I.Y. radios (both FHSS & ASF/MINI-Z).

KO PROPO JAPAN(English) www.kopropo.co.jp/sys_en/radios/transmitters/ex-1/ex-1kiy.html
This site has this info:

Master Unit
EX-1 ASF Ver.2(for Mini-Z only)
No.10522

KO PROPO AMERICA
http://www.kopropo.com/america
This site has this info:

EX-1 KIY Ver.2 Sets:

No.80519 EX-1 KIY 2.4GHz FHSS Ver.2 Set (Tx/Rx)
No.80521 EX-1 KIY ASF Ver.2 Set (for Mini-Z oly)

EX-1 KIY Modular Pieces

Master Units:

10520 Master Unit EX-1 FHSS Ver.2 (+KR-411FH)
10522 Master Unit ASF Ver.2 (for Mini-Z only)

Version 2 changes:

Version 2 is a software improvement for response and linear feeling.
Conventional response increased 5%. Transition from moving the steering back/forth quickly and small movements have been improved.
Motion feeling has been enhanced. Improvement for human interface for a more natural feeling but still maintaining a faster feeling.
Version 2 Master Units (FHSS & ASF) are compatible with current Grip and Steering Units.
External plastic case is the same as previous version, just software and PC board has been changed.

***Current customers with Version 1 will be able to send in their Master Units for a PC board change to the Version 2 at a later date once the boards are available and will be for a limited time.

If the above info I've listed is incorrect, and no upgrade VER2 is going to be available for Mini-Z ASF K.I.Y.'s >>> That's a big reason not to buy this radio.:mad:

Customers must come last at KO Propo. Wow, so disappointing... "Hey, what do you want for $500-$600? The latest revisions? No, no... we don't do that..":mad::mad:

chad508
2013.02.26, 10:07 PM
the way look at it is that they dont have to offer us the upgrade. its not like the version we have is bad, they just have a new version. it would be like those with the helios wanting an upgrade to the eurus specs. dont get me wrong if the offer it to those with older radios thats great and i will for sure send mine in. if not i dont feel i have lost anything as the radio works the way i originally bought it. now if it comes out that vers1 has issues then thats another story

arch2b
2013.05.19, 12:26 PM
tooling around for Shizuoka 2013 information and saw they had shown a ver.3 ex-1 kiy (http://www.hobbymedia.it/43733/ko-propo-ex-1-kiy-ver3-radiocomando-modulare-24ghz#more-43733) :rolleyes: personally, seeing they are now on ver3 of something that essentially is still brand new to market is not the best endorsement of the product. one has to question if they spent the time needed to get it right the first time if they have since had to release 2 subsequent updates. i'll admit to being irrational on this one but no way i'm paying that kind of money on a product that really isn't fully mature yet.

chad508
2013.05.19, 01:12 PM
I believe the last update was more ergonomics than anything. Looks like a grip change was the main difference

arch2b
2013.05.19, 02:41 PM
based on the picture, i would agree.

Rune
2013.05.20, 04:06 AM
I have had to modify 3 KIY grips to get the throttle pots to last, so I am thinking this is a fix as much as an update.

My guess is that next version will have a steering wheel improvement:p
I have seen two units where the plastic piece that connects to the steering pot has cracked.