PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Kyosho R246-1201 Motor mount

Shakas
2012.08.16, 10:56 AM
Hello, ive got a MR02-MM, Aston Martin DB9 body. Recently ive decided to buy some update for it, tyres, suspension, t-plate etc and also the following Kyosho R246-1201 motor mount (not for performance but for looks to be honest):
http://www.kenonhobby.com/assets/images/r246-1201.jpg
Manufacturer link: http://kyoshoshop-online.com/kyosho/goods/index.html?ggcd=R246-1201&cid=r246_mini-z

What happens is i simply cannot close the heatskin, it almost clips but only when the motor is pushed and locked to the front of the car... and in that case the pinion wont touch the differential.

The motor is the stock one with no modifications. Another doubt i have is: will this motor mount allow the usage of other pinions other than 6T (the default one)?

Thanks in advance,

briankstan
2012.08.16, 12:47 PM
I don't have any experience with this particular mount but it is very similar to the older GPM mounts from about 7 years ago. they were also problematic with getting the tops to fit. you might have to do some slight modifying to get it to work with the other pinions you might want to use.

I've found that the mounts that are designed to use screw mounted motors are far superior to the ones that use the front and back spacers as they really are motor specific and slight variations in mfg. can make them a real pain.

imxlr8ed
2012.08.16, 01:34 PM
That mount should fit most cans but as Brian said, the newer mounts with motor screw holes are a much better investment... much easier to work with, and lighter to boot!

Make sure your capacitors and wires aren't in the way and there are not large solder bumps on the motor can that are hittng anything.

Sinister_Y
2012.08.16, 02:16 PM
We've sold some at the shop and the tops (heatsinks) are tight as h*ll to get on. Maybe it's something that will get better over time. Most guys went to the other mounts as imxlr8ed said.

Shakas
2012.08.16, 03:47 PM
First thanks everyone,

I have nothing the in way, capacitors, wires everything set to one side. I already "cliped"/closed the engine mount.... hitting it, gently, with the back of a screwdriver.
Now i have another problem, every-time i unmount the differential the pinion starts to spin on the bigger gear... i have to push hard the engine toward the back and screw very hard those bolts. Unfortunately this is a very BAD and expensive (25€) engine mount bahhhhh

Those newer engine mounts that you guys were talking about, do they need drilling the motor? I wanted a simple aluminium engine mount "plug-and-play". Thanks

imxlr8ed
2012.08.16, 03:54 PM
Better to invest in a pre-drilled aftermarket motor and a new mount.

Either that or get out your file or dremel and shave down the inside edge where the clip goes over the tab so your new mount is at least useable.

Tons of options out there as far as mounts go, check the shop here and see what they got!

Shakas
2012.08.16, 04:50 PM
Im currently waiting for a pn 70T engine, after receiving it and starting it all over again ill check my option, but i have no intention of drilling or getting a drilled engine, just want have a bit of fun with friends nothing serious. Drilled engine also used to be a bit "powerfull" since i dont have FET nor im willing to upgrade the board, i imagine anything less than 60Turns will burn it apart from knowing how to control it.

briankstan
2012.08.17, 08:20 AM
Im currently waiting for a pn 70T engine, after receiving it and starting it all over again ill check my option, but i have no intention of drilling or getting a drilled engine, just want have a bit of fun with friends nothing serious. Drilled engine also used to be a bit "powerfull" since i dont have FET nor im willing to upgrade the board, i imagine anything less than 60Turns will burn it apart from knowing how to control it.

the PN motors already have the mounting holes, so no extra work there when you get it. the 70T is pretty close to the stock motor in speed. lot's of other motors are available as well without requiring any upgrades. I'm running a 35 Turn PN motor on my stock MR-03 board without any problems and have been doing so for several years.

Shakas
2012.08.17, 09:16 AM
Really? I thought that anything bellow 50turns would blow the stock board. (for the boards sake i wouldt go bellow 60t just to keep sure). If the 70t motor comes with those extra holes better... fortunately I managed to close the heat skin, and solved the problem on which the pinion slippered on the spur... looks like the motor mount dosent like the 6T pinion... tried the 7T pinion and its perfect.

Now just waiting for the 70t motor which i imagine has little more torque and revs a bit more, the my hopes is a bit more torque.

Longer gear (7p)+ Atomic V pattern 20 tyres + good suspension (carbon T-plate + kyosho oil shock) + bearings +stock motor= nice top speed, not so good acceleration, and unable of sliding