PDA

View Full Version : Motor cleaning. Chemicals

2.7RS
2012.08.18, 04:01 AM
Hello all.
I've got a lot of motors filled up with tires and RCP.
Thought I'd try to clean them instead of just buying new ones.

After a quick look at my chemical collection, I think the only thing suitable is acetone.
So the big question is. Will the acetone damage anything in the motor?

imxlr8ed
2012.08.19, 10:23 AM
If there is no juice left in my motor spray can, I'll just run my motor in a cup of hot water and the let it dry out, oil the bearings and comm drop it. Then just run it in a bit more.

Acetone shouldn't hurt anything... it'll break up the gunk. But after de-gunking them, I would still do a short water break-in.

Just don't run the motor when it's wet with acetone or you might get a flame out.

2.7RS
2012.08.19, 06:48 PM
Yeah. Flame out:cool:
Jet powered mini-z:D

imxlr8ed
2012.08.19, 10:01 PM
Was in the pits at an event once, decided it was a good time to blast the gunk out of my motor, gave it a healthy dose of motor spray and right about then someone turned on to my frequency. After my motor and car burst into flames, it decided to hop onto the floor and run away from me too.

Got the fire out, but it was well worth a laugh!

herman
2012.08.20, 03:52 AM
lol.... flame out... hope it didn't burn anything...
mission control... mission control... we got a rogue z on our hands... i repeat we have a rogue z on our hands...

NoBrainer
2012.08.20, 08:31 AM
I use, depending on what I got at hand:
cowrc.com "moo-tor cleaner & degreaser"
CRC "EL-MEC Cleaner"
CRC "Electronic cleaner"

But I would guess that aceton would be great on everything but the plastic end of the can. So it might be a good idea to dissasamble the motor first.

twinkie
2012.08.20, 02:25 PM
acetone will work, but do not run it for too long. I think the acetone slowly eats the enamel on the wiring which causes the motor to short. Dilute the acetone with denatured alcohol. But again do not run it for long.

NoBrainer
2012.08.20, 05:38 PM
@ 2.7rs, maybe just come on over an borrow something fancy from me then. Rater than using aceton...sounds not like a good solution...

Felix2010
2012.08.22, 04:12 AM
acetone will work, but do not run it for too long. I think the acetone slowly eats the enamel on the wiring which causes the motor to short. Dilute the acetone with denatured alcohol. But again do not run it for long.

Is this true? Acetone eats-away at the motor-wire enamel? Anyone confirm this; And how long does the acetone take to dissolve enough enamel to cause problems? If nobody knows for certain, I will be performing a test of this shortly...