PDA

View Full Version : PN racing 50 turn stock motor. Issue?

TeeSquared
2012.08.18, 02:31 PM
Hey folks.

Recently I installed a PN 50 turn motor into my MR-03. This is the exact unit: http://www.atomicmods.com/product-p/15665.htm

I broke the motor in on the bench by running it for 20 minutes on two AAA's. I cleaned and lubed it after.

I love the motor on power. Loads of torque and a perfect top speed for my track. The problem is when I lift off the power, the car slows down fast. Too fast. It's almost as if I have 40-50% drag brake dialed in. The drivetrain spins freely when the motor is removed so I have eliminated that as a possibility. I've also noticed that the cogging on the motor is very tight. Much tighter than the kyosho stock and X-speed motors I have previously been using (stronger magnets?)

Can this be rectified or is it simply the nature of the beast?

Thanks!

T.

briankstan
2012.08.18, 02:44 PM
This is because of the stronger magnets in the motor. If you have a good radio you can turn up the throttle subtrim to induce a slight roll when lifting to decrease the amount of "built in" drag brake. I have all my cars setup this way with my helios. If you are using the stock radio you won't be able to do it. Hope that helps.

TeeSquared
2012.08.18, 02:47 PM
This is because of the stronger magnets in the motor. If you have a good radio you can turn up the throttle subtrim to induce a slight roll when lifting to decrease the amount of "built in" drag brake. I have all my cars setup this way with my helios. Hope that helps.

Thanks man. I tried dialing up a little subtrim and it did help the coasting but I found this made the car tricky to get into reverse. Is there a workaround for that? :o

cowboysir
2012.08.18, 05:01 PM
Have you thought of swapping magnets? It'll take away some torque but it'll roll better without sub trim adjustment.

It'd be a lot like a pn speedy 07, I guess.

TeeSquared
2012.08.18, 06:42 PM
Have you thought of swapping magnets? It'll take away some torque but it'll roll better without sub trim adjustment.

It'd be a lot like a pn speedy 07, I guess.

Had no idea this was possible. Thanks for the idea. Could I use the magnets from a stock motor or would I need to buy a set?

briankstan
2012.08.18, 07:47 PM
Thanks man. I tried dialing up a little subtrim and it did help the coasting but I found this made the car tricky to get into reverse. Is there a workaround for that? :o

When you set the subtrim up, you will need to set the throttle brake higher to get reverse to function the same. There is a balance you will be happy with you just need to play around with the settings.

DanDan
2012.08.19, 12:35 AM
If you're racing a 2.4ghz car, try to get ahold of the USB cable that enables you to alter the board settings and play with different VInertia settings. I prefer this method over altering the radio settings or the motor.

Another thing you can try is gearing up. I find with the Mini-Zs that if you are running a bigger pinion, the car decelerates at a lesser rate. Don't overgear though or you risk undue wear on your motor/electronics. If I'm not running our local spec gearing, I usually gear the 50t with a 10 or 11 pinion, typically I run a 52 or 53 spur.

I really enjoy running the PN50t, it's a good motor in my opinion. Faster then the 70t, but not overbearingly fast like a 33t can be in some situations.

chad508
2012.08.19, 12:55 AM
Run the motor for a while and it will breakin more. You got the bushing motor and not the ball bearing motor. The bushing motor has a lot more drag break until you break in the bushings.

color01
2012.08.19, 02:29 AM
There is that, but the V.INERTIA (virtual inertia) setting on the Mini-Z's electronics really is the best way to deal with the 50t's magnet strength. :)

Felix2010
2012.08.19, 04:21 PM
There is that, but the V.INERTIA (virtual inertia) setting on the Mini-Z's electronics really is the best way to deal with the 50t's magnet strength. :)

I agree with color0 - Setting the V.INERTIA is the easiest and most effective way to make the car coast off-power how you want to. There are a couple different V.INERTIA settings you can try to suit your taste; You just need the USB Mini-Z I.C.S. Interface cable and software and compatible Windows computer.

TeeSquared
2012.08.19, 07:51 PM
Run the motor for a while and it will breakin more. You got the bushing motor and not the ball bearing motor. The bushing motor has a lot more drag break until you break in the bushings.

Darn, guess I have an excuse to run a pack or two through my car to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the input everyone. Very helpful!

cowboysir
2012.08.19, 08:51 PM
FYI Ryan from our club has the mr03 ics cable...if you come out we might be able to adjust vinertia.

TeeSquared
2012.08.20, 12:45 AM
I ran a battery and a half through the motor tonight and it seemed to free up a lot once the car got warmed up (or maybe it was just the driver that needed to warm up...) Either way, I think I am happy with this motor for now.