PDA

View Full Version : Whats the hot tire combo these days?

Tapir
2012.08.20, 02:44 PM
The track I am going to starts up again soon, and I am wondering if the tire preferences has changed lately.

The usual fastest tire around this track (high grip rcp) was x15 front and 6 degree rear, but since there seems to be new batches out, I am wondering if these still are the best?

briankstan
2012.08.20, 03:36 PM
The track I am going to starts up again soon, and I am wondering if the tire preferences has changed lately.

The usual fastest tire around this track (high grip rcp) was x15 front and 6 degree rear, but since there seems to be new batches out, I am wondering if these still are the best?

that's what I'm running, I'm truing down the fronts.

DanDan
2012.08.20, 08:55 PM
The PN 6 rear is still the bee's knees. Myself and most of the locals have switched back to the Kyosho 30 front. The current batch of PNx15s are not optimal (really grippy, high wear rate) If you find the PN 6 to be excessively grippy at your track, you can try the Kyosho 20 rears. I'd say 9 out of 10 racers around here use the PN6/Kyosho 30 combo.

color01
2012.08.20, 11:32 PM
And that's only in NorCal. :)

The PN 6 radial rear is still the absolute best, it runs on the high side of grip (nearly too much) for Stock racing but is perfect for Mod (32-33t).

The front tires, I've been used to using PN X15's and making them do different things, but different batches have responded quite differently to different prep work, and I found out that Kyosho 30 slicks work well at Kenon too, more scrub but also more turn-in steering and less need to brake.

Next Kenon session I'll be trying K30/PN6 again as I'm out of X15's lol (haven't bought tires in half a year).

DanDan
2012.08.20, 11:51 PM
(haven't bought tires in half a year).

The new X15s came out around the beginning of June. The grip and wear characteristics of this tire are drastically different from the pre-June 2012 X15s that we've grown to know and love. I really enjoyed running the X15 tire until the change took place.

Tapir: When choosing a tire, I'd say run what your local fast guys run. Each RCP track's grip characteristics vary.

unearthed name
2012.08.21, 12:57 AM
still like my k20 for rear and k30 for front. run them as is. the rcp in my place like the tire new.