PDA

View Full Version : brushes springs on Stock R or Chili

ByronF1
2012.09.10, 09:18 PM
Does anyone knows what are the effects of changing the brushes springs on Atomic Stock R or Chili, there are three different ones soft, hard and super hard?

Cherub1m
2012.09.10, 10:36 PM
Does anyone knows what are the effects of changing the brushes springs on Atomic Stock R or Chili, there are three different ones soft, hard and super hard?

Lets see if I remember this correctly... The softer spring on both negative and positive terminal will give a little more RPM but less torque. The harder spring on both positive and negative terminal will give a little more torque but less RPM.

Another trick is to use soft spring on negative terminal and harder spring on positive terminal that kind set up gives you a little more of both RPM and torque.

Note: This is with a normal size armature and brushess. Has the armature gets smaller and the brushess get smaller you will lose performance and spring tension wont matter much. Heck, even spring tension can be reduced and effect performance.

Note # 2: You are better off just changing brushess (and change spring only if needed) when needed and toss the motor when brush changes does not revive the motor anymore. That kind of fine tuning mentioned above takes maintenance and best done with dyno.

Hope this helps and hope I got this right :D. Stock R and Chili are great motors have fun.

herman
2012.09.10, 11:20 PM
great tip... thanks for posting... :D

ByronF1
2012.09.11, 11:34 AM
thank you!
Yes I like this motors!...

Then is the same effect with the silver brushes... am I right?

Felix2010
2012.10.08, 11:09 PM
Silver brushes are much much softer than carbon brushes. If you are going to upgrade to silver brushes for the Atomic M1 motor can, I would use stock M1 springs (The springs that come with the CHILI and STOCK-R); OR use the "Soft" M1 springs to make sure the silver brushes don't wear-out too fast.:)

One thing you could try if you feel like experimenting is use a silver brush for positive and a carbon brush for negative, and use a "Soft" spring for the silver brush and a "Hard" or "Super-Hard" brush for the carbon brush. This should give you a boost in RPM and torque like Cherub1m mentioned, and the silver brush shouldn't wear-out too fast.:)

For many years Atomic used this "hybrid" brush setup for their T2 and Z2 motors which were Atomic's top of the line motors a few years back before Atomic introduced 17mm motors and M1 style motors. Atomic claimed one carbon plus one silver brush has a lubricating effect on the commutator, as well as giving superior conductivity.

herman
2012.10.09, 04:07 AM
hmm more good info… :D