PDA

View Full Version : MR-03 FET Job Oops

HammondCheese
2012.09.12, 10:34 PM
Best FET upgrade I've ever done just ran into one tiny snag.... As some of you have already probably noticed, due to the protrusion for the suspension support under the MR03 top cover, there isn't room for a 2 high stack on the left FETS. If installing more than a 4x1 stack - how do you fit it in in an 03? Not that I need 2x3 - but the idea of just soldering a 4562 on top of two of the existing 3010s had a lot going for it - ie not having to unsolder the stock fets - until the top cover intruded.

Is there room to add the fets over the lower 2 3010s? There doesnt seem to be a heap of space there - and I'd be concerned about how much airflow gets in under the PCB for cooling. I'm not sure grinding away part of the top cover is a great plan either because of the structural integrity of the suspension mounting point.

Do the reflex alloy top covers have more room to squeeze this in? Or do I need to remove the stacks from the PCB and just replace with 1 layer of FET?

Thanks

color01
2012.09.13, 02:28 AM
I run a 3x2 stack of AN0113's on my main MR03 (thanks Philip...!) the only way to make space is to put the extra FETs on the underside of the board, then grind a little space into the main chassis tub. You don't lose a lot of structural strength grinding in this area, but if you make the hole too big you will get some dust in the car sooner or later. Hope this helps. :)

HammondCheese
2012.09.13, 04:29 AM
I run a 3x2 stack of AN0113's on my main MR03 (thanks Philip...!) the only way to make space is to put the extra FETs on the underside of the board, then grind a little space into the main chassis tub. You don't lose a lot of structural strength grinding in this area, but if you make the hole too big you will get some dust in the car sooner or later. Hope this helps. :)
Aha! And I do have that new little bit for the Dremel to try out too.....Thanks for the idea - just wish I'd asked yesterday :).

After I posted thos I did see one other potential option today....while I'm not a fan of the red (black or silver please - and that goes for all of these parts)does that new X-Power top look a little like it has a bit more space under it than stock tops? The shock mounts seem to be on some screw in mechanism which doesnt LOOK like it intrudes into the top cavity as much as stock. Anyone have one that can confirm?

color01
2012.09.14, 12:27 AM
While you may be right on the idea, some others have reported that the X-Power top cover is fairly useless when it comes to actually mounting up your suspension parts, so keep that in mind too along with the CG penalty of using that part.

Generally, most of us with FETed MR03's put the extra chips on the bottom. Less thinking, more Dremeling lol.