PDA

View Full Version : GP Nimh rechargeable battery question

pwong
2001.12.14, 05:44 AM
is it normal that the batteries are very hot when i m charging the battery? I am using Nimh battery charger..

how long will it take to fully charge the AAA 700 mh battery?

Russ
2001.12.14, 08:09 AM
If you are using a fast charger, yes, the heat is normal. Fast is within a few hours I'd say. If it's longer than that, or your charger doesn't have a peak cutoff & you are overcharging your batteries, this heat is also normal, in that you are frying your batteries somehow.

The time it takes to charge depends on your charger, that is the only place you can find out. Some people have charger that will charge in 2 hours, while mine takes 15 hours for 4 AAA Nimh batteries.

Do you still have the box it came in?

Russ

pwong
2001.12.14, 08:17 AM
I will take a look at the box tonight when i got home. The heat was really make me worry because the battery was quite hot.

I charge my battery last night for 2 hours and it seems that they still don't have enough power. My charger has "fast" and "normal" mode.. I will see how long it will take. It said on the charger itself that it will take 1.5 - 2 hours to take a 250mha AAA battery though.

wrcracer
2001.12.14, 11:12 AM
mini-z : i been tryin to email you about a similar question, but for some reason, it wont go thru. anyway, can i use a rayovac NiMH charger for the GPs?

mini-z
2001.12.14, 12:37 PM
WRC: any charger intended for NiMHs should be fine.

Draconious
2001.12.14, 02:36 PM
pwong 250mah will be a NICAD make sure your charger also has a NIMH setting as well as fast and slow.. or your going to destroy those NIMH cells.

pwong
2001.12.14, 03:03 PM
so normally, how long will it take to charge 700 mha AAA battery?

NOMOTORLIMIT
2001.12.14, 03:13 PM
To all concerned, this is initialdeeznutz talkin'. I use the Rayovac charger for my AA nimh's and AAA for non-RC applications. It does get hot. If it'z your first time, just monitor the batts. Check every few hours. It takes a long long time for the Nimh to charge, so don't be surprised. As for my nimh RC batts, Nexcell, Energizer, Sanyo Nimh's, I use my Tekin BC112C at 2.25 amps. Works! I personally don't care if cellz get damaged, because no torque, and no power for me don't manage.

Draconious
2001.12.14, 05:02 PM
I was just charging my Energizer Blue 700mah cells, in a Rayovac 8 cell 3in1 charger (PS3). This charger realy only shuts off when they get too hot, not when they are full, although its supose to shut off when they are full, guess I just never filled them all the way... at least thats what I've seen.

NiMH are supose to have a higher heat range then NiCD... but once its over the max they get damaged easier. I usualy let them charge on this charger for around 8 hours. I usualy stop it every 2 hours, to let them cool, then start it back up again, just cuz I do that dont make it better to do it though.

Lately my batteries have not been lasting as long, maybe cuz im running on thicker carpet then usual though, and I havent realy been leaving them in for the full 8 hours either.

Hmm went to rayovac website to give a link to there how long to charge batteries chart, and its not there any more... will have to find the paper that came with the charger and scan it...

But basicly how long it takes, depends on the chargers output... and NIMH dont like high out put, NiCD can tolerate it though.

Rayovac recently released a 1hr charger for NiMH and NiCD... I am ordering two... going to see how well they do. They are about $30 .

Ken Mifune
2001.12.14, 06:59 PM
Here is an "educate me" link for batteries.
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-educate-batteries.htm
I don't know how their prices compare anymore but I was very satisfied with the supplies I got from them a year ago.
Just browsing their site might answer some questions.

Draconious
2001.12.14, 07:55 PM
If I sold them, would any one buy a 4 pack of blue Energizer 700's for $10 to $11? (+shipping). I might have a source to get them at this price.

pwong
2001.12.14, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Draconious
If I sold them, would any one buy a 4 pack of blue Energizer 700's for $10 to $11? (+shipping). I might have a source to get them at this price.

I might be interested in them.

Sm0lders
2001.12.14, 08:19 PM
I got 750 mAh batteries from GP and I'm very happy with those, they get a bit hot when charging, it takes me 7 hours to charge em but I charge when my car runs a bit slower and then it only takes 3.

Draconious
2001.12.14, 08:28 PM
Cool, maybe I might order a crate or something. :)

Update on charging my 700mah cells with rayovac slow charger...
I first put them on at 12:00 midnight, they got warm around the time i went to sleep at 2:45 so I took them off the charger.

I then put them back on around 3:00 next day, and the red lights on the charger went off at about 6:45 (+/- 5mins for each cell).

I then put them right back on at the same 6:45, because that was only about 6 hours, the red lights have been on, and they are only a little warm, not quite as hot as when i first took them off, its now about 9:30... so they been on for almost 11 hours... wich is probly around the max this charger will take, it might realy be a 13 hour charger... I might leave them on until the red lights go off see what happens.. its NOT supose to over charge the cells so I just sue them if it does ;).

Next update will be how long they last.. with THIS charge ;)