PDA

View Full Version : mr02 or mr03?

kmas
2012.09.30, 08:33 AM
can someone give me the pros and cons to the mr02 and the 03. I dont have a mini yet and have a tight budget, I want to get the funnest/fastest car and only have enought to get one car. any opinions and suggestions welcome.

NoBrainer
2012.09.30, 09:53 AM
MR-02EX with a PN70T motor, ball bearings, a real H-plate and PN spring set in front.
Then you just need tires to have fun.

I do belive that MR-03 is a better platform for racing but two of the guys I have been driving with have had a lot of fun with there MR-02EX.

cowboysir
2012.09.30, 10:39 AM
With a tight budget and if you're buying used equipment you'll probably get more value from an MR02.

If you're buying new buy an MR03...you can then pick and choose items to improve performance later on.

They both are fun chassis to drive...as long as you have the right tire combo.

kmas
2012.09.30, 01:20 PM
With a tight budget and if you're buying used equipment you'll probably get more value from an MR02.

If you're buying new buy an MR03...you can then pick and choose items to improve performance later on.

They both are fun chassis to drive...as long as you have the right tire combo.

thx cowboy, you have been helping me alot lately! Also Brainer, I was kinda thinking that the 03 would have more racing options. Im kinda leaning towards the 02 right now, of course that will change if I find a good deal on a 03:D. So do you guys think I should hold out for a used mini that has hop ups....even if it doesnt have the body I want? keep in mind a tight budget. I found a porsche 962 on the bay 2.4 for 167 shipped, and it has the body I want, I will have to wait though since I found my module ($50) today.

NoBrainer
2012.09.30, 01:37 PM
Are you racing or just for fun?
Do you have oppertunity to race?

To be honest, I like the electronics on the MR-03 much better than MR-02.
So I would buy the MR-03 and run it until I could afford it.
But then again, I race with others on a regular basis.

The hop-ups you now got for the MR-03 is just awesome.
Both front and rear.
But like I wrote in the first post, you only need things for handling first and a good 70T motor to really have fun.
Then it all comes down to tires and lots of laps...

btw, don't buy a car because of the body....you can get new ones...

kmas
2012.09.30, 01:50 PM
Are you racing or just for fun?
Do you have oppertunity to race?

To be honest, I like the electronics on the MR-03 much better than MR-02.
So I would buy the MR-03 and run it until I could afford it.
But then again, I race with others on a regular basis.

The hop-ups you now got for the MR-03 is just awesome.
Both front and rear.
But like I wrote in the first post, you only need things for handling first and a good 70T motor to really have fun.
Then it all comes down to tires and lots of laps...

btw, don't buy a car because of the body....you can get new ones...

Some bodies are hard to find, does kyosho do remakes? I love all the group c cars and really I didnt know these things existed and Im into slot cars also, so you could understand my excitement to see some group c cars in rc!!! Will the mr02/03 fit all the group c bodies?
I will be playing with a possibilty of racing, how serious Im not sure yet. If anything I will convince friends to get some and race with.

NoBrainer
2012.09.30, 02:04 PM
I know what you mean. Most of these car are now in white body, so I have not had any problems getting my 962's...

I don't like the idea of racing a ASF, since it's gouing to get broken.
You will need more than 1 body.

But if you like LM it's quite limited number of bodys you can get.
94mm or 98mm (prefered) is much easier to get.
A Audi R8 LMS is 98mm and with a 70T motor it's just awesome to drive on a track that is less than 1m wide.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp356/NoBrainerNoN/RC-miniz/2012-09-19%2018.28.28_zpsbc458847.jpg

I think it's much more fun if you guys get together and deside what you all want to do.

TheRinger
2012.09.30, 02:21 PM
Well let's start on how much money you want to spend. Second don't always go with what body style you like the most. I don't know if they do different wheelbase and offsets in slot cars but it does make a difference in mini z's. For instance the body that you were expressing interest in the Porsche 962LM is a 102mm wheelbase with stock offset of +2 front and +1 rear. It's a wide and stable body but has a fragile front end which will need to be reinforced. And do you have a radio and if so what kind? If you don't have a radio then I would recommend the MR02EX. It should be everything to get you started. Just put more grippy tires and get option front springs and suspension plates and tire tape and that would be a good starting point.
And what module did you find for $50? Is it a 2.4ghz mini z? 27am? Ad band? One module doesn't work for all mini z's. Plus the modules for mini z's only work with ko propo module radios unless you have a adapter for it to fit into a different radio. Plus not all 2.4ghz radios are equal for example a futaba radio doesn't work with an airtonics receiver. I don't mean to come off as a jerk since I don't even know your experience in the RC hobby but need a little more info to help you on getting you started.

kmas
2012.09.30, 02:36 PM
Well let's start on how much money you want to spend. Second don't always go with what body style you like the most. I don't know if they do different wheelbase and offsets in slot cars but it does make a difference in mini z's. For instance the body that you were expressing interest in the Porsche 962LM is a 102mm wheelbase with stock offset of +2 front and +1 rear. It's a wide and stable body but has a fragile front end which will need to be reinforced. And do you have a radio and if so what kind? If you don't have a radio then I would recommend the MR02EX. It should be everything to get you started. Just put more grippy tires and get option front springs and suspension plates and tire tape and that would be a good starting point.
And what module did you find for $50? Is it a 2.4ghz mini z? 27am? Ad band? One module doesn't work for all mini z's. Plus the modules for mini z's only work with ko propo module radios unless you have a adapter for it to fit into a different radio. Plus not all 2.4ghz radios are equal for example a futaba radio doesn't work with an airtonics receiver. I don't mean to come off as a jerk since I don't even know your experience in the RC hobby but need a little more info to help you on getting you started.

THe module is a kopro 2.4, I will mod it for my 3pk. Ive raced rc for 20 yrs, 10th scale mostly. Dont worry, you dont come off as a jerk, you dont know me, but only as newb, so fair enough. Im just trying to make my first buy the right one since finances are tight right now.

DanDan
2012.09.30, 03:20 PM
If you are racing and on a budget, don't bother with the MR02. You would have to get the PN Double A-Arm suspension ($100) and an MR03 board ($100) to make the car worthy of competition. Get the MR03 and you'll be a much happier and faster racer :cool:

cowboysir
2012.09.30, 03:23 PM
No problem, kmas...I had recognized your name at rctech so I appreiciate 10th scale hobbiests trying out different scale chassis.

Having reverse (unlike most 10th scale racing) will be the biggest difference for you so finding an ASF board with a good response rate for your chassis is key. For that reason I've gone and swapped all my ASF boards to the latest RA-22 boards. They have a better response rate from forward to reverse.

To avoid the frustration of earlier used MR02's you might just consider going to an MR03...they will have the RA-22 board installed.

arch2b
2012.09.30, 03:24 PM
you don't have to spend a forune to race mini-z in reality. the basics are enough to keep up with competitve racing in the right hands. it's a very slippery slope once you start buying hop ups though:rolleyes: you start with a motor pod, then your getting a trick front end then it's a custom built diff.... i've seen top level guys run circles around others with nearly box stock cars though so it can be done if you have the time and determination. :cool:

TheRinger
2012.09.30, 03:38 PM
Well you got the experience. :o If you don't want to modify the module/radio they do sell adaptors that fit your radio with the module. PN sells them for $12 I think? But I've seen a few people race M8's and M11's with the PN adaptor and have all kinds of problems from no range to no reverse. And I believe R246 has a more proper adaptor but I think it's $30 which is a little pricey. As far as MR02 or MR03? It really doesn't matter. MR02's are a bit heavier but still a very race worthy chassis. MR03's have better front suspension, little lighter and can be fitted with any body that you desire in the line up that kyosho sells plus the aftermarket pan bodies that are available were the MR02 is limited due to width. Both have very good aftermarket and factory hop up support. So it just lies in cost which for you is tight. If you want to have a race worthy chassis? Check around for a used one that is as close to what you want. To start from scratch with a new chassis to make race worthy for like sanctioned race series will run you $250 to $400 depending on what chassis. But in all honesty you don't need to right off. The club I race with did a box stock class according to kyosho world cup rules which only allowed tire choice and bearings and I was a couple laps shy from my super stock which complies with HFAY and PNWC rules.
My box stock car is a 787b Mazda LM. I installed a bearing kit and kyosho 30 degree front tires and 20 degree rear tires, put some grease on the damper and it runs really good suprisenly. It's also an MR02 2.4ghz chassis. I definetly understand tight budget. I've been racing mini z's for over 6 almost 7 years now. Half that time I raced 10th scale off road. I've pretty much given up on big scale as my pockets aren't deep enough. So mini z's is where it's at. I started this hobby with mini z's and that's where I want to stay. So welcome to mini z's hope you stick around. :)

kmas
2012.09.30, 09:40 PM
thx everyone for the advice and opinions, I have decided to get the mr-03 due to the better electrics (and one or two less mods) and I still want to mod the kopro 2.4 module because I love soldering....seriously its one of my favorite parts of the hobby and becuase I already have a 3pk and its been with me for a long time. Bad news is the module I "was" getting is a 4 channel module, so Im back on the "used budget hunt". If I have to I will buy a new one ($75). It will just take me a little longer. Im currently trying to sell an associated sc10 4x4 roller to help pay for some things, hopefully soon. Thx again and keep up the help, lets keep in mind Im going for a mr-03 so basic upgrade tips are welcome.

yasuji
2012.10.01, 01:13 AM
This so far has been an interesting read...
As a MR02 MODIFIED racer and being that I have both platforms I would say for my personal MR02
HOWEVER... BOTH MR02 AND MR03 are great platforms for box stock racing and I have seen both win races
In what is currently available they both have there +/-
But both have the capability to adjust the reverse delay

kmas
2012.10.01, 06:14 PM
ok guys, what kind of mods are most important on a stock mr-03? I need to start planning my 962 build.

cowboysir
2012.10.01, 06:29 PM
1a.bearings
1b.tires

everything else is a bonus after those items but if it were me i'd look at various front springs, a couple different types of T-plates and a rear damper system. Those basics will help tune your car to a variety of track styles...

If you want to get seriously involved I'm a super fan of hop-ups from Reflex Racing....they've a couple different front ends parts that have made one of my 03's very fast, stable and turn better than a stock front.

kmas
2012.10.01, 06:45 PM
opinions on ball diffs and motor pods/mount

NoBrainer
2012.10.01, 06:49 PM
my opinion

1. get mr-03
2. ball bearings
3. tires
4. t-plate
5. front springs
6. have fun

then when your budget gets better, new reflex front and atomic lcg motorpod and dps plate.
Any lightweight ball diff or that beautiful gear diff from PN.

imxlr8ed
2012.10.01, 10:39 PM
I would add alloy front knuckles to that as well, the stock plastics are very weak.

I agree with the above list too, if you're going to race at a local track soon, hold off on the big parts for a bit until you get a feel for the car.

kmas
2012.10.03, 12:50 PM
ok, got some sale bodies here, my module deal fell thru being that it was a 4 channel 2.4 mini module, fingers crossed on another found. the car will be coming sooner or later, may buy a bearing set for now and some tires as suggested, until other funds open up.....man I hate waiting. :D

kmas
2012.10.03, 02:26 PM
any suggestions on preserving the bodies? I see they have a alloy body mount for the 962 porche, any good?

cowboysir
2012.10.03, 02:37 PM
The nose clip mount itself doesn't really save the body from impact damage and unfortunately you've chosen to like the most fragile body on the market.

Reflex Racing has a selection of protectors for the front of the body if you don't plan on doing your own reinforcing.

As for reinforcing there are plenty of methods but my favorite is:

1. Cut a thin porous cardboard sheet to fit the inside edge of the front if the body slightly inset of the shell
2. Soak with warm epoxy and layer a fine fiberglass to add some structure.
3. Let cure and you're done

It adds some weight to the front of the shell...a small price to pay IMO.

Sammich
2012.10.03, 03:11 PM
1. tires
2. bearings
3. oil shock

^importance of mods, in that order.

if i were you i'd search on here and find a nice used stock MR03 and search for a transmitter and go that route. i'm sure you'd come out the same as buying just the MR03 w/o the transmitter

kmas
2012.10.03, 03:29 PM
1. tires
2. bearings
3. oil shock

^importance of mods, in that order.

if i were you i'd search on here and find a nice used stock MR03 and search for a transmitter and go that route. i'm sure you'd come out the same as buying just the MR03 w/o the transmitter

I plan on getting a nice used mr03, I already have a 3pk so a module for that makes more sense. what kind of shock do you recommend?

Sammich
2012.10.03, 04:40 PM
I plan on getting a nice used mr03, I already have a 3pk so a module for that makes more sense. what kind of shock do you recommend?

when i was on the track and started adding speed, had chatter from hell, added this:

Kyosho Rear Oil Shock

http://shop.tinyrc.com/d_images/KYO-MZW207-a.jpg

helped out a ton...when you graduate to needing more suspension parts i'm sure research will help you figure out your next step. some shun tri-shock, but overall, seems like everyone likes the disc damper...but i say start w/ the oil shock.

kmas
2012.10.29, 08:32 PM
well guys, Im finally "offically" in the club, got a modded chassis and I have some bodies on the way. here are some pics, i got my module with this car also.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z110/jeeper3a/KGrHqJHJEcFBfObtLlnBQhyK6N7yw60_57-1.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z110/jeeper3a/KGrHqRHJCIFCC3QPHIvBQhyK0yIKw60_57.jpghttp://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z110/jeeper3a/KGrHqNHJDUFBWYOoLBBQhyK2nt60_57.jpg

unearthed name
2012.10.29, 09:07 PM
nice atomic car. welcome!!!!

kmas
2012.10.29, 09:34 PM
thx, I cant wait to put her to work, also got a audi dtm body and a taka q porsche 962

DMALMAD
2012.10.29, 09:46 PM
I saw that car on eBay along with another car from the same seller it was at 90 bucks, what you didn't want to wait for shipping...jk:D

kmas
2012.10.29, 09:51 PM
I saw that car on eBay along with another car from the same seller it was at 90 bucks, what you didn't want to wait for shipping...jk:D

too excited, I have been looking for a month now.

cowboysir
2012.10.29, 11:07 PM
Very nice find, kmas.

Glad to hear you got it all figured out.

unearthed name
2012.10.29, 11:18 PM
very nice indeed. that looks like my car a year ago before i know reflex racing brand. lol.